Is your weight loss journey being kept under wraps?

Options

Replies

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I have only told my sister (and my doctor knows, because he was the one that forced me to get on the scales at my last appointment to give me the wakeup call I really needed. The three-figure number sparked a deep-rooted horror in my brain.)

I will not tell my parents. Though they are both very overweight, they would merely sneer at me. My father has always made disparaging comments about our weights (really, it's lucky all three of his girls grew up pretty tough, I'm amazed none of us ended up with an eating disorder the way he carries on) and would only laugh at me. My mother is depressed and has severe arthritis in her hips and can't move properly to exercise, so that would just make her more angry at me. I will continue to say nothing, and see when they start to notice.
  • kapustakid
    Options
    It's between my husband and me. In fact, I told him I'll pretty much strangle him if he tells his parents, who tend to be nosy and who tattle a lot. I don't need that kind of help or "support."

I'll start talking about it more openly - although not really what program I'm doing - when I start having results.
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I don't say a word. I have told no one except my husband and sister. If people start to notice, then I will spill the beans. Otherwise, I won't mention it until I am good and ready.
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Haven't told anyone outside my house, and no one has noticed so far (at least no one has said anything), but I changed jobs in June....
    I only see family at holidays, so I'm looking forward to seeing how observant they are this Christmas.

After losing almost 40 pounds, I saw my husband's family. You would have had to be blind not to notice, but not a single person commented.

Haters! You're fabulous! :wink:

i am in a similiar situation. Read this and it will give you great insight. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Goal179
  • wistera
    wistera Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Didn't say anything to anyone, but most people have noticed by now and now I get a ton of "you didn't tell me you were dieting!!" comments. :)
  • lisalisa27
    lisalisa27 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I told everybody that way I can't quit cause now everyone knows. I started and stopped 7 times last year and it was easy to quit because no one knew.
    Yes... THAT! The more people you tell, the more they will help keep you accountable! I never told people I was trying to lose weight for years. Key word, YEARS. Probably my downfall. But now I tell everyone, so then if I start slipping up I have built in support right there. Good Luck!!
  • czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm not keeping it a secret, but I'm not actually announcing it to everyone. My family knows, along with my close friends, but that's about it. I'm not very active on facebook, but I think next month when I have to attend a wedding I might have to post a photo, I'm hoping that they'll at least notice a nearly 30 lb loss (hopefully my weight loss stays on track).
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    About three years ago, I lost a good amount of weight and then started my old habits and gained it all back. I didn't like seeing the disappointment in my co workers, or hearing snide remarks, so this time, last March, I didn't say anything, other than to 1 person I worked with. She had bariatric surgery, so I knew that she would be supportive, as I had been to her.

No one noticed too much, until around the 35 or 40 pound stage. Then, they were asking me how much I had lost, what I was doing etc. At 40 pounds I had to get new uniforms, as mine were WAY too big, and then everyone noticed.

I think it's funny as people keep asking me how I am doing it, but they don't want a serious answer of watching what I eat and exercising. They will say things like, "Is that all", or "No, tell us what you are really doing", lol.

I have never been a 'normal weight' and need to adjust my goal down another 10 pounds or so. Best wishes to those that don't have the support of your friends and/or family, as it makes it much harder to do this alone!!!
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I don't tell people unless they ask (my family and roommates know about it, it becomes fairly obvious when you live with me and I'm working out and weighing my food - definitely dead giveaway!). A few people have noticed and I will tell them I've lost x pounds so far or something like that. I've only recently begun to volunteer any information about my weight loss. I think it's because it's the first time that I feel confident that I will be successful. I know the weight will eventually come off, it's only a matter of time at this point.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    me= I dont tell mostly because I dont wanna seem like braggy. LOL.
    Only if they ask do I say something or if they need help in that area.

I do think ppl will notice when you lose weight especially if its a significant amount. Will they comment? maybe maybe not.
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Nope.....daily struggle.
  • dietcoke29
    dietcoke29 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When I lost weight year ago I told everyone. I found out not everyone was supportive. I even had family try to tempt and sabotage me. This time around its 10times harder (mentally) for me to lose the weight. I don't need my family with their negative nancy attitude getting in my way. So only my hubby and son knows.
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    When I lost weight year ago I told everyone. I found out not everyone was supportive. I even had family try to tempt and sabotage me. This time around its 10times harder (mentally) for me to lose the weight. I don't need my family with their negative nancy attitude getting in my way. So only my hubby and son knows.

The negativity and sabotage are the problems I also experience.
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I told one person and he told the family gossip, who passed it on to the thin "I'm better than you" family member whom I'm anticipating will be ready to harass me with her nasty/nice comments next time I see her. Should have kept it to myself and MFPs.
  • jonahneukomm
    Options
    Hey guys I've got a killer video of how people (my clients especially) are sabotaging themselves with MyFitnessPal and inputting the wrong calories and macro nutrients, feel free to check it out and leave a comment http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egtc0NJgG9o
  • Nilasaurus
    Nilasaurus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I kept it under wraps for quite sometime, mainly because I didn't want to be judged and made fun of and also because I wanted to surprise people. Even at mfp, for my first month, I didn't even have a single friend in my list. But I've purposely started to open up about it, and have felt it was the right thing to do. Now when people know I'm trying to lose weight, they understand when I say no to certain things which I used to get pulled into earlier because of peer pressure. And also making friends on mfp has been awesome, no judging and so much encouragement. The kind I had never seen before. Everybody is patient & helpful and most of all they know what you're going through, what it feels like.
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I recently tried to tell some people that i haven't seen in a while ... They didn't care. I will let the results speak for themselves

50540473.png
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I tell everyone. Heck I'll tell strangers at the grocery store if they'll stand still and listen. I'm proud of myself, I'm under what I weighed when I was 16 (I'm 34 now and have had 3 children) and I want people to know that. :)
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Interesting how no one seemed to notice your loss. I've had similiar reactions, or rather, no reaction from some people too. I've lost 90 pounds but my own dear sister does not seem to notice a change from size 4X to a very loose 1X. Vanity aside, it would be nice to be complimented on my effort. I did tell my husband and my daughter, who was staying with me, when I began in Nov. 2012. My daughter was so helpful in offering me healthy, low calorie alternatives to my usual high calorie snacks. Her encouragement was a tremendous help and can't be over estimated. My husband, while supportive, has continued to bring and eat tempting treats around me, but I accept that losing weight is my battle, not his. At family gatherings I'm often told that I must have some of this or that and when I've refused people comment that I must be on a diet but that a little bit wouldn't hurt me. Oh, if they only knew how fragile I feel sometimes. I've not updated any facebook photos, nor do I ever comment on my loss unless asked. My doctor has definitely noticed and that really is all that matters.
  • kw1452
    kw1452 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I don't talk about it to everyone, but my male friend is also losing weight so sometimes we talk about our current strategies. And my office-mate is on a healthy kick so she knows. My bf is my biggest motivator - I tell him about everything. Every complaint, every lb lost, every little thought on things. He lost a ton of weight years ago so he is quite supportive. Everyone else can just see the results when they become more obvious.