Meds NSV!

Options
iquiltoo
iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
Had a physical today, and finally the doctor agreed to adjust my meds!

My cholesterol is fine but they want me to keep taking the statin at least for a while as I am diabetic and it helps with keeping arteries clear, but she cut the dose in half, so that's good.

I also had a 24 hour blood pressure test a month or so ago, and it shows my bp is actually pretty good, but because it's always higher at the doctor's office (and I have told them time and again to take it twice, but she didn't) she didn't want to take me off it completely, but reduced it by half and I will monitor with my home bp monitor again for a while. It's not totally accurate as it measures lower than the doc's but I know by how much it's off so I can still gauge how I am doing.

And lastly my A1C (for diabetes, for those that don't know) was down to 5.7, which is really good as it was 6 last time, and for several years before I started losing weight it was averaging 6.7 which is just below the 7 that they don't want you to go above. So she dropped the gliclazide altogether. I am still on metformin, but here's hoping as I get down towards my goal weight that that can slowly be decreased as I take three a day now.

So YAY! Down from 6 pills to 3 over the last 6 months of being on MFP, and two of the three reduced in dose. Gives me more incentive to keep on!

Replies

• fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Great NSV! Congratulations :-)
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Nice job!! The metformin will help with weight loss too.

My A1C was 5.7 too, I'm aiming for 5.4 or lower in December!
  • lightinfl
    lightinfl Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    That's good news for you and shows you are getting healthier :) Congratulations on a good checkup :)
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Nice job!! The metformin will help with weight loss too.

LOL! That's what I have heard, but it ain't done nuthin' for me so far... unless you count the weight loss after surgery from having the runs again for months after being off it (for the surgery) then being put right back on full dosage! They wouldn't let me ramp it up again cuz you know, they're the doctors and they know best... but I do know it's not a harmful med (other than that side effect for me!) so I am not worried about staying on it, I just don't want to be taking any more pills.
  • NickyDiam
    NickyDiam Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Congrats, you should be very proud of yourself. You took a big step by improving your health and every time medication is reduced or taken away, you are one step closer to a healthier you. I hope you'll be free of taking any mess in no time. Congrats!
  • sophiauoa
    Options
    Great NSV! Congratulations! You're on your way to a new healthier you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!