Calorie Burn Monitor - $50 or less

Options
So because I'm actually very fed up and discouraged by everyone telling me I'm not burning the calories that I think I am, I've decided to end the argument by getting a monitor to track my calorie burn that way....but where do I start? I'm working on a budget unfortunately and all the ones that I've seen have been around $100 each. I cannot and will not be paying that price for one. :( So, any suggestions?

ALL I WANT IS IT TO TELL ME CALORIES BURNT.

This is the sole reason I want one. I don't need it to tell me how far I've walked or have it have games, be waterproof, have goals, etc. I would like the bare bones. A monitor that I can just stick on my wrist/arm/whatever and go do my thing each day and wear while exercising. By the end of the day I want to be able to look at it, record said number and be done with it. Cut and dry. If it includes extras, great...but really nothing fancy is needed.

I saw Walmart had one for $30, but the reviews on it were absolutely horrible. :(

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    An HRM won't solve your problems because HRMs measure heart rate, not calorie burn.

If you want a solid rule of thumb, do this...

- figure out how far you can run in 30 minutes
    - net calories burned = 0.63 * miles you can run * body weight in pounds
    - multiply that by 0.50 (if "interval") or 0.75 (if "steady state), and that's a reasonable estimate for how much you burn doing other exercises at high exertion

If you can't run for 30 minutes, substitute this for your net calories:

- net calories burned = 0.3 * miles walked * body weight in pounds
  • atlantisak
    Options
    Mr_Knight:
    An HRM won't solve your problems because HRMs measure heart rate, not calorie burn.

If you want a solid rule of thumb, do this...

- figure out how far you can run in 30 minutes
    - net calories burned = 0.63 * miles you can run * body weight in pounds
    - multiply that by 0.50 (if "interval") or 0.75 (if "steady state), and that's a reasonable estimate for how much you burn doing other exercises at high exertion

If you can't run for 30 minutes, substitute this for your net calories:

- net calories burned = 0.3 * miles walked * body weight in pounds

Thanks for the advice and the mathematical breakdown of things.

I'm aware a HRM won't give me the numbers I need, so I was hoping there would be something around that could track my calories some way. I was hoping to use something while I'm exercising and while I'm just doing my daily routine (like cleaning house, going around the mall, etc). Basically something I'd wear all the time so that I don't have to get into the nitty gritty details of how long I've taken to scrub the tub and wash the dishes, etc. I honestly don't have the time to sit and calculate every little thing. :(

Is there anything out there that is similar to what I'm looking for in that price range?
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Basically something I'd wear all the time so that I don't have to get into the nitty gritty details of how long I've taken to scrub the tub and wash the dishes, etc. I honestly don't have the time to sit and calculate every little thing. :(

Normally people don't log that sort of activity. Just use a BMR/TDEE calculator to get a baseline number, track your food, exercise and weight for a few weeks, and you'll be able to zero in on your personal, actual burn numbers with considerable accuracy.

But you have to log everything...
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    No. Unless you can find a used FitBit on Ebay. You need something like a Fitbit to track everyday movements (walking around, cleaning, etc) and a HRM with a chest strap for dedicated steady state cardio activity. A Polar FT 4 is the best bet there on a budget.

None of them will be entirely accurate. A Fitbit won't track that you're scrubbing the bathtub and a HRM is only accurate with a significantly elevated HR for extended time periods. The thing you're looking for doesn't exist, especially not in the $30 range.
  • atlantisak
    Options
    Basically something I'd wear all the time so that I don't have to get into the nitty gritty details of how long I've taken to scrub the tub and wash the dishes, etc. I honestly don't have the time to sit and calculate every little thing. :(
    Mr_Knight:
    Normally people don't log that sort of activity. Just use a BMR/TDEE calculator to get a baseline number, track your food, exercise and weight for a few weeks, and you'll be able to zero in on your personal, actual burn numbers with considerable accuracy.

But you have to log everything...

I've done a few different calculators...even posted on here about my BMR/TDEE numbers and I'm getting so many different answers that I'm getting so frustrated by everything.

How do I figure out my burn numbers from my exercise and food info? By if I'm losing weight? Up until the last few days, I've been logging everything. The last few days have been hard and stressful that I haven't had much time to dedicate to that stuff (holiday seasons are approaching and I own my own business). Plus with my frustration, I am getting so close to just saying 'Screw it' and go back to what I started doing about a month or so ago and just excersize and eat what's comfortable for me (which is usually around 1,200 calories according to what I've been logging prior to hearing that I -should- be eating 1800+...which I've gone about trying to do. My stomach hates me for it now.).
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Fitbit-Wireless-Activity-Tracker-Charcoal/dp/B0095PZHZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384479966&sr=8-1&keywords=fitbit+zip

Daily tracker for around 50 dollars. I don't know how good the fit bit zip is for tracking workouts though. Seems to have good reviews.
  • atlantisak
    Options
    It's just so frustrating to ask for help and hear a bazillion different answers about what I SHOULD be doing. Almost not worth the stress.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    A Fitbit Zip is like $59. But any device is just using population averages and adjusting it for your detected activity level based on the movement it detects. So you'd get just as good an estimate by just checking the free TDEE calculators online IF you can be pretty accurate about how much activity you do in a day.

For $15 you can get a decent pedometer. Use the steps count to tell a TDEE calculator how active you were. E.g., how many miles you walk per day.

The only way to know how much you REALLY burn in a day will involve you breathing into a medical device in a lab.

Another way to get a good estimate is to very diligently track your calorie intake and your weight loss over a long period, like months, then back it out from that data.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    I've done a few different calculators...even posted on here about my BMR/TDEE numbers and I'm getting so many different answers that I'm getting so frustrated by everything.

I can appreciate that. Just remember ALL the numbers are estimates, so the important thing is to just pick one and go from there.
    How do I figure out my burn numbers from my exercise and food info? By if I'm losing weight?

Yep. Convert weight loss to a calorie number (pounds lost * 3000 is close enough). Then TDEE = calories "lost" + calories eaten.
    Plus with my frustration, I am getting so close to just saying 'Screw it' and go back to what I started doing about a month or so ago and just excersize and eat what's comfortable for me (which is usually around 1,200 calories according to what I've been logging prior to hearing that I -should- be eating 1800+...which I've gone about trying to do. My stomach hates me for it now.).

There's no rule that says you *have* to do it this way - if you were being successful before, by all means, go back to it! :smile: MFP is drowning in well-intentioned but misguided "eat more" advice, it's totally cool to ignore it.
  • atlantisak
    Options
    Plus with my frustration, I am getting so close to just saying 'Screw it' and go back to what I started doing about a month or so ago and just excersize and eat what's comfortable for me (which is usually around 1,200 calories according to what I've been logging prior to hearing that I -should- be eating 1800+...which I've gone about trying to do. My stomach hates me for it now.).
    Mr_Knight:
    There's no rule that says you *have* to do it this way - if you were being successful before, by all means, go back to it! :smile: MFP is drowning in well-intentioned but misguided "eat more" advice, it's totally cool to ignore it.

I know there's no rule about having to do it this way, I was just hoping that I'd find a better way than what I'd been doing before. I've been at a steady weight now for a while after losing 60+lbs. The thing is, the way I lost the weight before wasn't the healthiest. I was dealing with an extreme amount of stress over a long period of time (I also developed an ED) and apparently I lose my appetite entirely when I'm stressed. I almost entirely stopped eating and that's when the weight started to come off quickly (at least 2lbs a week, I wasn't tracking it, I just know the numbers went down fast). I know that's not the healthiest.

It's the EAT MORE! attitude that frustrates me because it's hard for me to do so, especially after what I've put my body through. I either forget to eat (I rarely feel hunger and this is why I eat when I remember and it's usually nibbling on something here or there) or my body doesn't like heavy foods. Heavy foods like PB, bananas, burgers, beans, etc all sit too heavy in my stomach and I experience stomach pains as a result of the food.

I was really hoping to try and get myself straightened out. I'm not unhealthy (somehow, no idea how...my doctors all are shocked when I get a physical done), but I know I can improve things. Just...blah. Frustrated.
  • atlantisak
    Options
    From what I've eaten so far today (all logged), I've got a stomach ache and know that if I keep eating up to the nearly 1,800 calorie goal, I'll be so tired tomorrow. The last few days since eating around that amount, I've felt terrible...I don't usually take naps and I've been napping a lot, sleeping around 11 hours and dealing with a stomach ache and headache.

Eating around 1,200ish is more comfortable for me....I feel like I have more energy and don't feel like my stomach is going to explode. :( Really sucks to feel this way.
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    From what I've eaten so far today (all logged), I've got a stomach ache and know that if I keep eating up to the nearly 1,800 calorie goal, I'll be so tired tomorrow. The last few days since eating around that amount, I've felt terrible...I don't usually take naps and I've been napping a lot, sleeping around 11 hours and dealing with a stomach ache and headache.

Eating around 1,200ish is more comfortable for me....I feel like I have more energy and don't feel like my stomach is going to explode. :( Really sucks to feel this way.

Easy fix - if you want to eat more calories but not get filled up, eat higher calorie foods in place of lower calorie ones. Cook in butter or oil to add a few calories without adding bulk, use full cream milk instead of skim.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I calculated my BMR and my TDEE using the tools & instructions in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13 I have had my best success with steady fat loss after changing my calorie and macro numbers according to this. Is it perfect and exact? No, of course not, but it's been easy enough to work out the basics and then make adjustments if/when needed.

I bought my $70 New Balance N4 HRM on eBay for $26 - brand new, in the package, with original instructions and all. I've had it for about three years and it works great. I only wear it for workouts (chest strap and watch combo), it gives me a calorie burn (along with "zones" and highest heart rate, etc, etc, but I just use it for cal burn), and have also had good success using this tool. Of all the HRMs out there, I narrowed my search to the New Balance or a Polar - had both on my eBay watchlist, and the New Balance came up first for the best price, so that's what I've got.

It doesn't have to be complicated - pick one website/calculator for TDEE and stick with it. Take measurements, track everything as best you can, and after 4-6 weeks make adjustments up or down if needed.

Or just go with MFP - if you've entered all your set up info accurately and with a realistic weight loss goal, then go with the daily calorie goal they give you and eat those cals! Remember that the daily goal already has that deficit built in, so eat back exercise cals as well - food is fuel! :drinker:

Save your money, check eBay, check sales, put it on your Christmas list - whatever works to get yourself a FitBit or HRM.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    "It's the EAT MORE! attitude that frustrates me"

Ignore it. There is nothing unhealthy about eating 1200 calories a day. But don't believe random people on the internet. Pick up a few diet books at the library or read at respected web sites written by authorities, not dieters. It really is just math. It's not easy but it is simple.
  • seekroad
    Options
    On heartratemonitorusa they have the polar ft4 in special 59$ free shipping and it give you the calorie burn as well.
    Imjust ordered an ft7 for 72$