2»

Replies

• Colliex3
    Colliex3 Posts: 328 Member
    Yup just read that as " NO UNDERWEAR BUT DR. SAID I COULD USE A BUFFER"

lol
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Bump because it has been about a week of me consciously eating more and I have a few questions.

1. I have not had an increase in weight yet, but I noticed that I am running a little faster than I ever have before. Could that by due to the increased calories (more energy to burn)?
    2. Is it ok to go to the gym and lift right after I run? I am a student with a sporadic schedule and the mornings are the only time I have to dedicate to exercise, I normally finish my run, usually lasting 60-90 minutes, and then head to the gym asap when I get home for 60 minutes of lifting. Would that affect muscle gain?
    3. Will filling extra calories with "Junk" food help at all for muscle gain? I'm not talking about fast food or anything like that, but when you've got to eat nearly 4000 calories how bad is something like soda or ice cream when you just can down anything else anymore? I feel like since it is all sugar my body will just burn it right away for energy.

1. Maybe wait another week and see what your weight does. Probably still gonna have to eat more if weight does not go up. Keep raising your daily calories by around 100 each week until you start seeing movement in the right direction.

2. Not ideal to lift after cardio but since it sounds like you are fairly new to lifting it might be ok. What program are you going to do? Might need to make the muscle gain a priority if you are serious about adding some weight which means running on the days you dont lift.

3. There is nothing wrong with adding "junk" after your nutritional needs are met. Nuts and peanut butter are pretty high calorie and someone else mentioned milk. Easy to get a few hundred calories drinking milk as your primary fluid.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Good luck, I run about 10 miles per week and people tell me I'm skinny and need to eat. All those miles, will definitely require you to eat a lot.
  • Bump because it has been about a week of me consciously eating more and I have a few questions.

1. I have not had an increase in weight yet, but I noticed that I am running a little faster than I ever have before. Could that by due to the increased calories (more energy to burn)?
    2. Is it ok to go to the gym and lift right after I run? I am a student with a sporadic schedule and the mornings are the only time I have to dedicate to exercise, I normally finish my run, usually lasting 60-90 minutes, and then head to the gym asap when I get home for 60 minutes of lifting. Would that affect muscle gain?
    3. Will filling extra calories with "Junk" food help at all for muscle gain? I'm not talking about fast food or anything like that, but when you've got to eat nearly 4000 calories how bad is something like soda or ice cream when you just can down anything else anymore? I feel like since it is all sugar my body will just burn it right away for energy.

1. Maybe wait another week and see what your weight does. Probably still gonna have to eat more if weight does not go up. Keep raising your daily calories by around 100 each week until you start seeing movement in the right direction.

2. Not ideal to lift after cardio but since it sounds like you are fairly new to lifting it might be ok. What program are you going to do? Might need to make the muscle gain a priority if you are serious about adding some weight which means running on the days you dont lift.

3. There is nothing wrong with adding "junk" after your nutritional needs are met. Nuts and peanut butter are pretty high calorie and someone else mentioned milk. Easy to get a few hundred calories drinking milk as your primary fluid.

I had been lifting on a split for general strength building for a couple months now but not for muscle gain. I started StrongLifts 5x5 this week. One problem I have is that I am getting a lot of suggestions for high fat foods like nuts & milk, but I find these things fill me up more and are hard to stomach after a while and I don't like feeling super full the next morning during my run, which is why I asked about soda, or maybe skim/low fat milk & dairy since it doesn't upset my stomach as much.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Bump because it has been about a week of me consciously eating more and I have a few questions.

I had been lifting on a split for general strength building for a couple months now but not for muscle gain. I started StrongLifts 5x5 this week. One problem I have is that I am getting a lot of suggestions for high fat foods like nuts & milk, but I find these things fill me up more and are hard to stomach after a while and I don't like feeling super full the next morning during my run, which is why I asked about soda, or maybe skim/low fat milk & dairy since it doesn't upset my stomach as much.

Yep anything that gets you to your calories. High fat stuff is just high in calories for a smaller amount of food but does make some people feel fuller.

SL5x5 will be a good program for you for a while. Good luck man and enjoy all the foodz. : )
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Not Underweight but Dr. said I could use a "buffer"

I read this as "butter"...my screen is a little dirty I think...but probably you could use some butter.
  • farmgirlrrt
    farmgirlrrt Posts: 168 Member
    Not Underweight but Dr. said I could use a "buffer"

I read this as "butter"...my screen is a little dirty I think...but probably you could use some butter.

I read it as buffet at first but for what it's worth I'm tired.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Ya, during my racing days, same 5'10", 6-7% BF, 155 was race weight. And by no means did I have big shoulders because of UPS injuries, but I did swimming.

Once you have a base, you don't need to rack up miles like that unless you are going competitive in the running, in which case emaciated upper body is very appropriate along with lower than normal weight.

Low HR is to be expected, like lower than 40-45, which is very normal for endurance cardio training?

Lifting weights after running hard or long will be about useless for the lifting effect.
    You only ask the body to increase strength or size when you overload the muscles with weight.
    You having tired muscles because you already exercised is not the same thing, the body's response then is add more glucose for the endurance load being put on it.

Get your running down to 3 days a week, long run, short hill sprints or interval run, short calm run.
    Lifting 2 x week, full body. 3rd time upper body only on same day you do the intervals.

If eating more helped you feel stronger, you likely weren't eating at maintenance, but below.

You eating enough carbs to fuel this activity level?
    Done your research as to carb refeeds after workouts for best uptake for best benefit the next day?
  • Bump because it has been about a week of me consciously eating more and I have a few questions.

Yep anything that gets you to your calories. High fat stuff is just high in calories for a smaller amount of food but does make some people feel fuller.

SL5x5 will be a good program for you for a while. Good luck man and enjoy all the foodz. : )

Thanks good information to know.
  • Ya, during my racing days, same 5'10", 6-7% BF, 155 was race weight. And by no means did I have big shoulders because of UPS injuries, but I did swimming.

Once you have a base, you don't need to rack up miles like that unless you are going competitive in the running, in which case emaciated upper body is very appropriate along with lower than normal weight.

Low HR is to be expected, like lower than 40-45, which is very normal for endurance cardio training?

Lifting weights after running hard or long will be about useless for the lifting effect.
    You only ask the body to increase strength or size when you overload the muscles with weight.
    You having tired muscles because you already exercised is not the same thing, the body's response then is add more glucose for the endurance load being put on it.

Get your running down to 3 days a week, long run, short hill sprints or interval run, short calm run.
    Lifting 2 x week, full body. 3rd time upper body only on same day you do the intervals.

If eating more helped you feel stronger, you likely weren't eating at maintenance, but below.

You eating enough carbs to fuel this activity level?
    Done your research as to carb refeeds after workouts for best uptake for best benefit the next day?

I put in this much mileage because I enjoy it though. Love the thrill of a good run (especially a long run over 20 miles), and I love working towards a marathon goal. As far as the heart rate goes I tend to dip below 40 quite often and the doctor seemed somewhat alarmed by that, even with my activity level, she said the 50 range should be normal with my activity level. And as far as eating enough carbs, I was not really tracking intake for a while, and I tend to under eat a bit when I don't track, so that may have been a possibility. Thanks for the insight.