Running: on road (undulating) vs on track (flat)

Options
Hi, with all else equal, should running on track be able to achieve faster pace (with same effort) vs running on road that's going up and down?

I got the opposite and am wondering why.

I usually run about 6 miles on road that has elevation gain of about 350 and the same elevation loss (round trip).
Recently I have a chance to run on track a few times but I ended up slower pace with higher average heart rate.

Is it normal? mfp friends please help enlighten me. thanks

Replies

• jenna762001
    jenna762001 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What type of track? Tracks have varying levels of absorbancy. So there's absorption upon footfall and you then have to work harder to push off. There could also be more turns. Run 1 mile straight out and one mile doing 4 or more looped laps. Straight is faster. Hills are definitely harder than flat but there's a certain level of hills that doesn't cause me any significant change and downhills recover you and speed you up. I do know when I'm reaching elevation rises beyond my happy place though. ;)
    And it could all just be coincidence too. Some days I can run 6 miles at a 30 second faster or slower pace than another day at the same heart rate.
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    It's outdoor synthetic track with a soccer grass field in the middle. Is that easier or harder to push? thanks.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Track should be faster. it was designed for running.

Running in a circle is a mind game. Keep at it and you'll get faster.

The fastest road mile I've run in the last year was a 5:49...on a track I ran a 5:28 1600m (30ft short of a mile.)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of other variables to consider, but all of them being equal, the track will be faster.

You have to consider your current training load, sleep quality and quantity, environmental conditions, time of day, etc.

Also, how are you measuring your pace and distance?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I would think running on a track would be faster. For me, though, track running would be slower due to the demoralizing forces of boredom. Just sucks the energy and drive right out of me. I prefer trails.
  • actlc
    Options
    I use runtastic on my phone with GPS and with a heart rate monitor strap.

I rested day before yesterday.
    Ran yesterday on road (10:06 mm, AHR 148, cold at 28 degree) & today on track (10:33 mm, AHR 151, about 45 degree). Both about 10K.

I just checked the GPS map I ran today and notice that the route sometimes did not follow the turns closely. instead of route being oval like the track, sometimes it's more like a rectangle (if you know what i mean). Does that mean I may have run more than the GPS told me? (I ran 24 laps on lane 5 [lane 1 being innermost])
  • jenna762001
    jenna762001 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'd agree an outdoor 400 track should be fast. I do my speed work on outdoor highschool tracks and love it, well aside from the whole hamster on a wheel aspect when your not running fast enough to forget about it. :) Indoor gym tracks I have found to be slower. Lots of tight curves with a shorter lap and I do not like the absorption at our local indoor... I really would consider coincidence. I wouldnt think the mind play of doing laps should affect your heart rate, as you said you were working just as hard on the track for a slower pace.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    In theory, the track should be faster ... BUT, the track is boring ... boring usually means less endorphins are release, more endorphins = more speed, 'tis why most people tend to run slightly faster in a race ...
  • RunBrew
    Options
    I use runtastic on my phone with GPS and with a heart rate monitor strap.

I just checked the GPS map I ran today and notice that the route sometimes did not follow the turns closely. instead of route being oval like the track, sometimes it's more like a rectangle (if you know what i mean). Does that mean I may have run more than the GPS told me? (I ran 24 laps on lane 5 [lane 1 being innermost])

Yeah, Likely by a fair bit. GPS's can't handle small circles.
    Also, running in the outerlane will add about 10m to each lap, so you actually finished at 10K around 1/3 of the way around lap 23.
  • actlc
    Options
    thanks all. Is there a good device to measure pace & distance for running on track?
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    thanks all. Is there a good device to measure pace & distance for running on track?

The track is already measured. All you need is a stop watch.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    boredom could set in running around a track vs. the Road. Also did your elevation on the road go down more often then up?
  • RunBrew
    Options
    Use Google Earth or similar satellite map program to carefully plot the points around and make one lap. It may not come out to an exact round number, (e.g. 402m) but you can clearly tell that this would be a 400m track.
    Your track is almost certainly 400m around. 4 laps makes 1600m (essentially a mile)

use a digital wrist watch to measure the time taken for each 'split'.....be it one lap or 4 (one mile). that's your pace.

This has been the standard since the late 1940's when stopwatches were invented and it isn't likely to change.
  • actlc
    Options
    thanks. I would try to run the track on lane 1 next time. That would be easiest to do the math. :)