Is there such a thing as squatting too low?

Options
So during a water break in between my squat sets (I squat ATG), two guys stopped me to tell me 1) my squats were too low and I'd hurt my knees 2) my back wasn't straight and I'd hurt my back.

I try to be open-minded toward advice about my back. So I asked how my back wasn't straight--was it rounded, not upright enough, not straight while coming up, or going down? They said, "Right, your back wasn't straight."

I'd seen these guys before in the weight room. They do more chatting than lifting, but they lift. Of course, I lift, too. Have been doing so for about a year. But I'm ashamed to say, I was rattled. I couldn't shake the idea that I was doing it wrong and would hurt myself.

And then I try to tell myself they don't know what they're talking about because you should always squat as low as possible (while keeping your butt out, shoulders back, knees behind toes, etc). So that must negate the validity of their observation about my back as well.

But am I wrong? Can one squat too low?

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I think if someone had freakishly long femurs in relationship to their tibia then perhaps they could squat so low their butt would touch the ground. This might be considered too low.

It's possible one might break form after a certain point- so for that particular individual there could be a "too low."

Back should be slightly arched which isn't really "straight" per se.

Take a video of yourself and post it if you would like reassurance/feedback.

Also those guys sure had a way with words. :huh:
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Post a form review video on the forum of bodybuilding dot com (or here).

I thought I was squatting correctly (below level) for a long time. Then I figured out when I increased the weights I was getting a dreaded butt-wink.

My butt was dipping down at the bottom. It can really mess up your back.

Or try watching yourself in a mirror.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    If you're already ATG, the, the next logical depth would involve touching your butt on the ground, which I can't imagine would be a comfortable stance-especially with weight.