knee hip pain

Hey all.

I've been having chronic knee pain in my right leg. This started after I lost weight oddly. Now I've been heavy for a large portion of my life. Never had pain. I'm only 29. I walked 3.4miles tonight and my hips feel like mush. My knee is stiff.

I live in NYC so that's where I'm hoofing it.

I feel just fine other than that. Would have gone further if my hips didn't feel so awful.

Suggestions?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    There are many, many causes of joint pain, so the best thing to do is get a proper assessment from an orthopedist or sports doctor, or at least a physical therapist.

What shoes did you walk in (make & model)? Most athletic shoes have a raised heel, and that alters our natural gait, which can worsen joint pain.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Yeah, you should get it all checked out. But knee pain can sometimes originate either from the feet or from the hips.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Rest your knee. Do exercise where you don't feel your knee.

I used to not run for quite a while when I had knee pain and not walk down stairs if I could avoid it (up I had no problems).

During that time I used to bike on occasion but not too intensively. I did feel my knee a little bit through that but not pain just a little buzz.

Now I am back to being able to do anything I want, no knee pain. So just move your knee through exercise that doesn't hurt it. Or completely rest.

And see a doctor too!
  • FredSetToGetFit
    FredSetToGetFit Posts: 286 Member
    I had that. It was the shoes I was wearing for work and spending very long hours on my feet. Got some special insoles for the problem shoes that lifts the bridge of my foot. First morning it felt really weird, and a bit sore, but by day 3, no more joint pain.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Rest it. Then see a doc.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Hey all.

I've been having chronic knee pain in my right leg. This started after I lost weight oddly. Now I've been heavy for a large portion of my life. Never had pain. I'm only 29. I walked 3.4miles tonight and my hips feel like mush. My knee is stiff.

I live in NYC so that's where I'm hoofing it.

I feel just fine other than that. Would have gone further if my hips didn't feel so awful.

Suggestions?
    Did you walk 3 or so miles on a regular basis before you lost weight?
  • I like to use gel soled shoes AKA (Asics) but any good tenny shoe will do..> you can also use a ace bandage to give the area some support while you walk - if you are walking concrete or pavement it can be harder on you then a surface like grass. Do proper stretching before exercise And if hurts after working it put some ice pak 15 minutes on 15 off for around a hr...after 48 hrs. use heat on the sore spots good luck I am reducing my pain meds thru my diet and exercise myself Keep going you are doing good