Tips for the site or app?

Options
I'm brand new to MFP after reading about a FB friend having such great success with it. I'm only on my third day and figured I would be baby-stepping it into getting healthier and losing weight. First day was to see how I was doing on calories on what I would normally eat in a day. It was pretty horrifying. Second day I did much better, but still considerably over what I should have eaten, but I also exercised so that helped a bit. Today, again over my calorie limit, but better than the last two days and more exercise.

Any items that are must see or dos on the site or app? I have the app for the iPhone. Any tips on staying on track with my calories without feeling completely deprived and falling off the wagon?

Thanks for the help.

Replies

• catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I log my meal for the day in the morning. Helps me stay within my goals. I tweek it as necessary.

Also, use a digital food scale. Eyeballing and measuring cups aren't accurate.
  • twinkiechick76
    Options
    Thanks. I'll start doing that.
  • JennyKCarty
    JennyKCarty Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    . Any tips on staying on track with my calories without feeling completely deprived and falling off the wagon?

Thanks for the help.

How much do you have to lose? You don't want to set too big of a deficit and then set yourself up for failure.
  • taxmom9093
    taxmom9093 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    You've got the right idea. Baby steps. If you're body is used to overeating, drastically reducing your calories all at once can lead to feeling deprived and "falling off the wagon." Sometimes just thinking about logging can make me decide I don't really want something. Sometimes I really do want it and I exercise more or give something else up that day or the next. What helped me was just exploring and finding the challenges that fit into my current situation. For me, reporting my exercise to a group seems to make me feel more accountable and more likely to exercise. (I know that doesn't work for everyone). As far as food, look at what you enjoy eating and see which foods are naturally lower in calories. I have discovered that some of the foods I used to eat aren't worth the extra calories to me. It takes a little planning, but I am getting better at not having more than one high calorie meal or treat a day. You know yourself better than anyone, so try what makes sense to you. One caution: there is no quick fix. Would I like to lose weight faster. YES but, this time I want to keep it off so I'm learning that slow and steady is OK and that mistakes are OK. And an occasional "cheat day" (I don't like this term myself, I prefer treat day) is OK. Good luck! Just being aware of what you are eating and how much you are exercising is a great first step.
  • twinkiechick76
    Options
    I would like to lose 40 lbs which would get me back into a more health weight. Don't get me started on that stupid BMI scale.

I've tried other programs, Weight Watchers, Food Lovers Fat Loss, Sensa (don't laugh) and will do well for a little while, but always fall of the wagon after a few weeks or months. I figure the first step is being honest with what I'm eating and how much and go from there. Try being more active. Start choosing better foods. Baby steps.