Clarification on Settings Section (sorry if wrong section)

Options
First off I should start off by saying I have had great success using Myfitnesspal and I find it incredible app! Since I have been using it I have always had a nagging question that I haven't got answered so I finally decided to post it to see if one of the strong community could answer it.

Hopefully I can ask it in a clear way so you understand. When completing 'Fitness Goals' it asks you the series of questions to set up how many calories you should be consuming. One of those is the 'Activity Level' which I have choses Sedentary but my exercise goal is 5 times a week for 40 min.

Now my question revolves around this section. If I say 5 times per week at 40 minutes should I be adding this into my daily diary under 'Exercise' section or do nothing because I have already stated I would be doing 5 days a week? Or is this section for any 'extra' exercise I should be performing? For the past 5 months I have never added any of my 5 days a week work out which total around 300-400 calorie burn a day because I felt since it asked me in settings it is already counting this activity when planning my goal calorie intake.

I look forward to any clarifications or suggestions on this topic.

DG

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Add the exercises you actually do under "cardiocvascular" or "strength" on your log. You'll get extra calories for cardio, but only your own pride for strength. You need to record it even if it doesn't get you more food. Good luck.:flowerforyou:
  • derrickgooch1
    Options
    Hi Katia49,

Thank you for your response. However, if I add it I will gain more net calories to eat. So should I consume or still not consume and just use it as record keeping? Still confused :huh:
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    It does not factor the exercise you put in when you set up your profile into your calories. Once you exercise you should log it and then Mfp factors it in and gives you more calories.

Whether you eat those calories back or not is a topic of great contention around here. But the way Mfp is set up to work they intend you to eat back those calories. Many people who do choose to eat them back only eat a portion, because it is an estimate so they like to leave some for a margin of error.

I eat some back if I am hungry if I'm not I don't worry about it but I also eat a minimum of 1700 calories most days upto 2100. If you are at a lower calorie amount eating some back is more important. Good luck
  • derrickgooch1
    Options
    Got it! Thanks for the explanation..... I am set around 1490 calories a day and have been for the past 5 months. However, I never put in my 5 workouts a week. This is probably why sometimes I feel I haven't eaten enough because my body needs more at times.

Thanks again for your help.