weight loss and alcohol

Options
So, every night while making dinner I have a glass of white wine, and then enjoy another while I eat dinner. I always log and account for it, but wonder if this could inhibit my weight loss in any way? I started MFP and couch to 5k at 140, and was hoping to lose about 10 lbs (about 7 lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight), and I've lost about 5 lbs, but i always seem to plateau at 134. While consuming the calorie allowance, how much does it matter where the actual calories come from? If I were to consume actual food instead of wine, would it matter? Does anyone have any insight to this?

Replies

• Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Try skipping the alcohol for a couple of weeks, see what happens.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    People get pretty opinionated about this. In my opinion, don't make any changes that you're not going to continue with permanently. Alcohol has never seemed to slow down my progress. I go with IIFYM.
  • beagle1983
    beagle1983 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    sorry, I'm new to forums here... what's IIFYM?
  • jynxxxed
    Options
    It means "if it fits your macros". It's basically the answer to "Should I eat ____", "Should I drink ____"

If it fits within your calories/carbs/fat etc, then it's fine to consume. So if you want a glass of wine, as long as it's fitting within your allotted macros, I say go for it.

Just my opinion :smile:
  • Abnersama
    Abnersama Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    sorry, I'm new to forums here... what's IIFYM?
    I was curious myself, so i'm not sure if this is what she's referring to, but: "if it fits your macros" / http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

edit: what do you know, posted right when you did, haha :)
  • jynxxxed
    Options
    Beat you to it :tongue:
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    it does seem to affect some people, so I would maybe cut it out for 3 weeks or so and see.
  • fashionosack
    Options
    Alcohol high in calories, in addition to dinner drink alcoholic beverages high in calories calorie intake too easy to make a direct impact on weight loss.
  • 53welshlady
    53welshlady Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It has always affected my weight loss, even if it is within my calorie allowance. My personal view is that it affects the liver somewhat as it has too work so hard on getting rid of the alcohol, that it cannot at the same time metabolise the fat (or something like that). don't know if that's right or not..

Anyway, I have to cut it out most days when trying to lose.
  • sammieloft91
    Options
    Reduce the amount of times u have it.
  • Daytonsmommy
    Daytonsmommy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I wonder the same thing sometimes but I have found, just as others have suggested, that if it fits in my alloted calories for the day I am fine. I do think it makes me a little more bloated in the morning, but other than that, haven't seen much of a change on the scale or my measurements. :drinker:

Edit: Also, one of my biggest downfalls with drinking is that I tend to want to eat more than I need to after I've had a couple. What I've been doing to help with this is plan my evening meals/snacks BEFORE I start drinking and make a conscious decision not to eat anything that isn't already in my diary. Seems to be working so far!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it will affect your weight loss, but in terms of your general health, 2 glasses of wine per day is quite a bit of alcohol.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    how tall are you? assuming your around 5'5, 5'6 then you body is right pretty much on target with where you should weigh..i think a calorie is a calorie...so do what you can live with..-just try to stay within the your calorie allotment for the week:flowerforyou: .
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Wine is fairly low calories for an alcohol drink (if you compare it to, say, beer). Two 5oz glasses of wine is like 180-200 calories, compared with 24 oz of beer that can be 360-420. It's certainly not something that is so high calorie that you have to starve yourself to meet your daily intake goals.

What I have come across is that alcohol is the body's preferred metabolic chemical. What that means is drinking 2 glasses of wine before dinner makes your body burn the alcohol for its energy needs, makes up the rest with protein/carbs/fats, and put any extra food you eat into storage and waste.

Is 2 glasses likely to be THAT big of a difference? Probably not. But, those who are really OCD about diet will say if you're going to drink alcohol, do it a couple hours after eating and eat low fat/low carb foods near the time that you are planning on drinking.

My recommendation would be as a compromise, cut out the glass you drink while cooking and see if you break the plateu.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Another idea would be to try either a wine spritzer, using the wine you like, or try some of the new Skinny Girl wines. I tried one last week and really did like it. This way you'll lower the calories in the wine while allowing you the two glasses. I like a glass of wine a few nights a week just like you, one while cooking and sometimes a couple of ounces with my meal, but don't like drinking my calories.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    It has always affected my weight loss, even if it is within my calorie allowance. My personal view is that it affects the liver somewhat as it has too work so hard on getting rid of the alcohol, that it cannot at the same time metabolise the fat (or something like that). don't know if that's right or not..

Anyway, I have to cut it out most days when trying to lose.

ME TOO!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I have been consistently leaning out drinking between 3-10 beers a day, and not losing any strength.

#anecdotal
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it will affect your weight loss, but in terms of your general health, 2 glasses of wine per day is quite a bit of alcohol.

o_O
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I've heard that alcohol is metabolized in your muscles, and if your muscles are busy metabolizing the alcohol, any food you eat will be stored rather than burned for energy. Because of this, it's been recommended to not eat while drinking alcohol, or for one hour before and after consuming alcohol.

I'd love to find more information on this theory, just haven't sat down to research it yet. If anyone here has seen anything along these lines that they can share, please do :)

Edited to say- I probably regurgitated the information I've been given very poorly, LOL, so again, if anyone has any information pertaining to alcohol metabolization and absorption via muscles, I'd greatly appreciate it!
  • baby666doll
    Options
    Hi Im new. I cant believe ive gained so much weight it makes me want to cry.. anyway my friend who is an athlete says that the most lowest calorie drink she recommends for me while I have dinner is Kettle One vodka plain over soda water. Try that. For some reason that brand has the lowest carbs. But I too enjoy wine with my meal.. drinking sucks it does mess up my metabolism when im trying to lose Im trying to stay away for a while and just eat and see what happens!! good luck