Bioforce Multi gym for strength training?

Options
I really need a piece of equipment to help me with some strength training at home.
I already do a lot of cardio, but want to start working on strength and toning.

I was wondering if anyone had used a Bioforce gym, and if so what they thought about it?
The exact one I am thinking of is here;

http://www.sport-tiedje.co.uk/en/Taurus-Bio-Force-Multi-Gym-TF-BIOF

It has pretty good reviews, and doesn't have a weight stack, so would be perfect for my 'exercise room' which isn't really an exercise room at all, and has a wooden floor!

I can't do free weights because my left leg is a bit of a mess after a motorcycle accident, and apparently the replacement joint and various plates and screws aren't designed for that level of strain. So the Taurus looked like a good compromise.

Would love to hear the thoughts of others.
Thanks.

Replies

• yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    You've already got a fantastic piece of equipment that will definitely help you gain more than some strength at home, on your travels or even in the gym.

Have a look at a book/app/website called "You Are Your Own Gym" and also "Convict Conditioning" - just two to start you off.

Also, if you are still not convinced, have a look on You Tube for a guy called Al Kavadlo - amazing progressive calisthenics videos; just his body and an outdoor gym.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I have the BioForce. Good stuff.

Pros:
    - being able to change weight quickly <--- this already makes it worth it!
    - resistance through the entire movement

Cons:
    - No support from the manufacturer in the US as they went bankrupt.
    - Squat movement is a little awkard because the resistance starts/ends at a low position. A squat vest from BowFlex might help. Or you can do a front squat.
    - Deadlifts are a little awkward because the handles are long. I've remedied this by standing on top of plastic crates. Love them now.
    - If you're planning on doing any jerking or power clean movements (with a BURST action) this is not for you.

If someone else is selling it in the UK under a different brand, let me know! I want to buy the bench accessory and possible squat vest accessory... but again... the company is out of business in the US.

Also, see this: http://www.sport-tiedje.co.uk/en/Men-s-Health-PowerTools-Bio-Force-Challenge-HAM-5050
    I've also seen it called the FINNLO Kraftstation: http://en.finnlo.de/produkte/kraftsport/kraftstationen/finnlo-kraftstation-bio-force.html

Anyways, I hope this helps. I debated between this and a Bowflex. I didn't want freeweights around the house because I'm usually lifting alone. I've had a few close calls. I decided that if I ever outgrow this machine, I will go to a BowFlex Revolution.

Message me if you have any questions. There's also some great videos on Youtube.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,806 Member
    Options
    I have the BioForce. Good stuff.

Pros:
    - being able to change weight quickly <--- this already makes it worth it!
    - resistance through the entire movement

Cons:
    - No support from the manufacturer in the US as they went bankrupt.
    - Squat movement is a little awkard because the resistance starts/ends at a low position. A squat vest from BowFlex might help. Or you can do a front squat.
    - Deadlifts are a little awkward because the handles are long. I've remedied this by standing on top of plastic crates. Love them now.
    - If you're planning on doing any jerking or power clean movements (with a BURST action) this is not for you.

If someone else is selling it in the UK under a different brand, let me know! I want to buy the bench accessory and possible squat vest accessory... but again... the company is out of business in the US.

Also, see this: http://www.sport-tiedje.co.uk/en/Men-s-Health-PowerTools-Bio-Force-Challenge-HAM-5050
    I've also seen it called the FINNLO Kraftstation: http://en.finnlo.de/produkte/kraftsport/kraftstationen/finnlo-kraftstation-bio-force.html

Anyways, I hope this helps. I debated between this and a Bowflex. I didn't want freeweights around the house because I'm usually lifting alone. I've had a few close calls. I decided that if I ever outgrow this machine, I will go to a BowFlex Revolution.

Message me if you have any questions. There's also some great videos on Youtube.
    THIS. I have one too and use it sparingly when I don't get a gym workout in or just want to hit arms. For the cost vs a BowFlex Revolution, it's a steal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    First off toning is merely having muscles and losing fat so you can see them.

100kg isn't much for an average sized or larger bloke who's looking to progress doing squats and dead lifts in strength training I'd expect.
    However, as a woman with some 'aftermarket' bits, probably fine! (Thankfully the metal work from my motorbike accident I've got doesn't seem to be a hindrance particularly - but I just did tib and fib and left my ankle a bit wonky.)

BUT, if you set this to 60kg say, it should be about the same force on said bits as having 60kg of weight on you. It may be a bit smoother, but I wouldn't have thought it was going to be that much different.
    I do workouts with weights on my own on a wood floor. Ok, I don't care much about said floor - I'd have rubber matt if I did :). Made myself a 'power cage' out of old wood. Tested it earlier with some weights on the 'catcher' poles sticking out the front (They'd take more weight actually inside) and it took around 265kg of weights + me + the dog - so I reckon it'll catch my squats which are under half that fine!

Back on to the device in question - interesting!
    Could anyone confirm it definitely has a consistent force when on the maximum setting?
    And; on the off change - anyone know how they do it?
    I thought that a fairly small volume piston would always suffer from getting stiffer along the stroke* (I wonder if they have an internal spring opposing it).

I've been looking to make something like this but smaller for when I'm working away and want a proper workout - normally in a motorhome, so a reasonable bit of space, but still needs to be a bit more 'compact', so DIY.

There's a few systems that use electric motors too, but they're not widely available.

The rest of the systems use some kind of spring which gives you an increasing rate of tension - the bowflex revolution gets around this a bit with a cam, but not enough to get rid of it apparently.

tomomatic:
    For your squats, had you considered adding some bits of rope to extend it, so the force starts at around the bottom of the squat?

*Yes; "ooo, err, misus" :).
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Just get a barbell and some plates. A power rack or squat stands would probably be nice, but with just the bar and plates you can start doing Power Cleans, Clean and Front Squat, Overhead Press, Clean and Press, Rows, Deadlifts, and a bunch of other exercises.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Oh and looking around, it seems the bioforce claims to do 100kg per side.
    Not bad, then, if that's the case - should take a fair bit longer to exhaust even if you're trying a bit.
    Ie, that'd be listed as 'advanced' for a deadlift ant 'elite' for a squat'.