Rest day?

Options
I've gone from exercising 1-3x a week to 6-7x a week. Is it better to take a day to recooperate or to still walk a mile or two on the treadmill? I'm hiking 18 miles this weekend so I don't want to be too sore for that!

Replies

• gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I've gone from exercising 1-3x a week to 6-7x a week. Is it better to take a day to recooperate or to still walk a mile or two on the treadmill? I'm hiking 18 miles this weekend so I don't want to be too sore for that!

You do not say what your typical exercise routine is. If you are pretty intense every day, then you need a rest day, though that can be a simple mile walk, or two. You body need recovery time.
  • 294Rich
    294Rich Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Rest days are good! You don't have to be sedenary on a rest day, though. You can go for a short-ish walk, or something like that. Rest days are good if you have been doing high impact exercise. Gives the hips/knees/shins etc some time to recuperate. If you train full on, 7 days per week, then injury will not be far over the horizon...
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Training for my first half marathon, I came to respect my rest days. Before then I ran every other day and hit the weights every other day so I was taking "rest days" from each of the two activities without actually taking a rest. I found that my long run on Saturday was easier after taking a rest day on friday. That rest day often but not always did include a lunch time walk, but walking is not a 4 mile run or squats.