Not to beat a dead horse....

Options

Replies

• jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    just try it and see if it works for you.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Just...so...tired....

george-michael-bluth-falling-down.gif

I love you Jan!!!
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    ...not trying to start THE big debate...

Uh, yes you are, otherwise why post?

Uh no I am not and because I had a question. I actually think this turned into a constructive discussion. Usual it turns into either people saying they do it to some extreme or others saying they should simply eat more. I wanted to avoid that and just get my question answered and it has been.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Just...so...tired....

I love you Jan!!!

:heart: :blushing:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    In my experience, there are two kinds of people who say they are eating 1200 calories.

Group A is the 1200 calories and more group. They always eat *at least* 1200 calories and include at least a part of their exercise calories, usually eating closer to 1500-1800 calories. While some people will wonder if 1200 is a good net goal for them if they're particularly tall, active, or male, most of us aren't concerned about the people NETTING 1200 calories.

Group B is the 1200 or less group. They always eat *less than* 1200 calories, ignoring exercise calories, and often mention that they work out for 2 hours a day, are training for a 5K, etc. They may also be tall, active, or male, but they eat 1200 or less per day, and usually their diaries show an amount closer to 900-1100 per day. They put in a very aggressive goal and then often ignore the recommendations and eat even less.

There are, of course, circumstances where 1200 calories GROSS are appropriate, but too many people here on MFP who eat 1200 GROSS actually shouldn't be, in my experience.

And recently, we've discovered a subset. Group A people masquerading as Group B people. :huh:
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Just...so...tired....

This made me LOL at my desk. Thank you.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    just try it and see if it works for you.

It works for me, it works for everyone when done right. It's simple math. Math doesn't only work for the obese. It does take careful logging but it's not impossible. The people it doesn't work for are usually logging intermittently or inaccurately, impatient, overestimating their exercise or all of the above.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    "choose "I want to lose 2 pounds per week" when that is not a feasible goal for them. "

Why is it not a feasible goal for them? Losing up to 2 lbs. per week is considered a safe, conservative goal outside of this forum. Even MFP allows all users to choose up to 2 lbs/week. It would be easy enough to program it so only people with X or greater pounds to lose may select that goal. It lets them select it because it's considered safe.

It depends...it is a feasible goal if you have quite a few Lbs to lose...it is not a feasible goal if you have very few cosmetic Lbs to lose...you simply don't have the fat stores neccesary to lose that quickly.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    OP to be honest it sounds like you are fine. I think it just depends on the person. My setup has been similar to yours and worked great. I only recently switched to TDEE because I wanted to work with more of an average with more calories and a slightly slower rate of loss, but I think they both work fine.

Sometimes people don't use their heads and get overly defensive about constructive criticism, and I think that is what makes people blow up.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Your diet should consist of much more than 30 grams of fat. Try 0.3-0.4 grams per lb of body weight (if overweight 0.3, normal weight 0.35 to 0.4, obese can do less). So if you are 160lbs normal BF% you should aim for 60 grams of fat as a minimum which is 540 cals, + 400 for protein now at 940 cals and you still have to make sure you get enough fiber, vitamins and minerals.

DRI is well below that, about 20 grams in fact for the essential fatty acids but as long as you don't waste them I still had nearly half the calories to go and plenty to spend on fats which I would agree with. The foods you eat with the protein and fat in come with minerals and vitamins too, so you don't have a problem with the calories just picking the right foods is hard work.

70 grams of fat is the DRV for a 2000 calorie intake (as per the labels) so would expect to eat less while running at a deficit.
  • Shawver83
    Shawver83 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started with 1200 calories a day in August, and as of today I've lost 14 lbs. Not a huge loss, but as long as the numbers keep going down, I can handle it. If I'm being totally honest though, most days I probably have more like 1300-1400 calories. I work crazy shift work, and it makes it hard sometimes. I'm female, 48 yrs old, 5'2", and currently 186 lbs., so I have quite a bit to lose. I'm also very sedentary, my job involves sitting for 12 hrs a day. I take a mile walk when I can, and always eat those few calories back. For me, 1200 is probably about right. I will admit, though, that at the end of the day when I've already consumed my calories, if my stomach is growling and I'm absolutely miserably hungry, I will have a small snack anyway. I kind of play it by ear and as long as I aim for 'about' 1200 a day I'm satisfied. I'm not real religious about it.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    works for me
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Reposting my previous reply to a similar topic:

"How did you set up your MFP account? You need to pick an accurate activity level. Too many folks pick "sedentary" when they are actually lightly active or even more. Also set your goal to lose no more than 1 pound/week to achieve a sustainable weight loss. Plateaus, inadequate intake & hunger are the biggest cause for people to quit. View this as a lifestyle change, not a diet. You need to find a happy medium between eating too much & dieting, so you can live with it for life! After finding your actually calorie goal, then eat back exercise calories. I'm not sure how you are measuring your exercise calories? If using MFP then most folks find their calories burns high & thus eat back 1/2-2/3 of the actual calorie burn. Other methods of measuring vary in accuracy depending on the device.

If you prefer a more constant daily calorie goal, then you can switch to the TDDE-deficit method. The following I just posted in another thread:

If you let MFP set your calories, then yes, you eat back exercise calories. I decided to use the TDEE method mostly, because I didn't like the constantly changing calorie goal. ... If you want a more constant calorie goal, then I'd switch to the TDEE-deficit method & self-set your calorie & macro goals. For protein, ensure you are getting AT LEAST 1 gram/pound lean body mass--for most women that's 100-125 grams/day. Your fat should be set at 0.4 grams/pound of lean body mass. Carbs are whatever is left. ... meet your calorie goal most every day!!! If after 3-4 weeks, you're not losing then adjust your daily calorie goal by 100 calories & watch for another 3-4 weeks. You may need more calories or less calories, it can be a little trial & error from the TDEE-deficit calculation. If you need to lose >20 pounds, set your deficit at TDEE-20%. If your need to lose 10-20 pounds, then TDEE-10 to 15%, and once you're down to <10 pounds to lose, set your goal to TDEE-5-10%.

Meeting your macros, especially protein, is very important! You want to lose fat not muscle (lean body mass), so protein intake is very important. The more lean body mass you lose, the lower your BMR will be. That's where folks get lost in the "starvation mode" idea. It's not so much borderline/low calories cause "starvation," as it robs you of your lean body mass, and as the lean body mass drops, so does your BMR (i.e. daily basal calorie burn). Resistance training/heavy lifting is also essential for maintaining lean body mass/muscle as well."

Here's a link to Heybales TDEE calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/heybales

"Go to heybales profile page & look for the link to his Excel spreadsheet. It's a few lines down from "About Me." The spreadsheet is great! I've been using it for 8 months now & have lost tons of weight, as has my family. The instructions are at the top of the document. You change the values in "yellow" & the others will adjust to give you your %BF, BMR, TDEE & macro goals. It also allows you to enter your activity in "hours." I redo my numbers monthly or after I've lost 5 pounds. The second tab also allows you to track your values over time, so everything is in one simple spreadsheet!"

Hope this helps! Good luck!!!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    "choose "I want to lose 2 pounds per week" when that is not a feasible goal for them. "

Why is it not a feasible goal for them? Losing up to 2 lbs. per week is considered a safe, conservative goal outside of this forum. Even MFP allows all users to choose up to 2 lbs/week. It would be easy enough to program it so only people with X or greater pounds to lose may select that goal. It lets them select it because it's considered safe.

It depends...it is a feasible goal if you have quite a few Lbs to lose...it is not a feasible goal if you have very few cosmetic Lbs to lose...you simply don't have the fat stores neccesary to lose that quickly.

I agree if you only have a few cosmetic pounds to lose that you're probably not going to ACHIEVE it in 2 lb/week increments because your margin for error is slim and you need to eat 1200 or so at least on average. But it's not unhealthy to AIM for that goal if you have the BMR and activity level to do so. I see people saying you shouldn't shoot for 2 lbs/week unless you're 50 lbs. overweight or more. That's silly.
  • Arloma
    Arloma Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    "Also, like others have said, most can lose weight on more than 1200 calories, so why would you force yourself to eat less? I completely understand though, that some short petite women can eat 1200 calories and be just fine. "

I'm one of those short petite women; 5'3" with about 8-9 more lbs to my goal. My daily calorie budget is set to 1200 which sometimes honestly is a struggle to meet when I try to drink 8 glasses of water. I just have no room for food. I exercise at least 5 times a week for 45 minutes or more bringing my goal up to over 1500 calories sometimes. I've found that my best weight loss per week is when I eat back some but not all of my exercise calories. 1200 net with extras built in for exercise is working fine for me. I don't eat junk food, have a very balanced diet of fruits and nuts and veggies and protein and fiber and even get to eat ice cream and cake in moderation.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I think they are fine for little inactive people.

I am big and active. I "diet" at 2000 calories a day.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I agree if you only have a few cosmetic pounds to lose that you're probably not going to ACHIEVE it in 2 lb/week increments because your margin for error is slim and you need to eat 1200 or so at least on average. But it's not unhealthy to AIM for that goal if you have the BMR and activity level to do so. I see people saying you shouldn't shoot for 2 lbs/week unless you're 50 lbs. overweight or more. That's silly.

I can AIM for flying to the moon on the back of the cow while the cat plays the fiddle but that doesn't mean it will happen. It's less frustration, less discouragement, and more satisfying to have a reasonable and attainable goal.
  • Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    (My opinion: The same as many above but I'm procrastinating writing a test for my students, so...)

1200 calories/day is not enough to enjoy Thai curry or chocolate cake in moderation while still getting all the necessary nutrients for a happy, healthy life. This makes me sad. And if I'm only eating 1200 calories a day, I'm extra sad and grumpy and prone toward biting people's heads off. Heads have too many calories too and also cannot be enjoyed in moderation on a 1200 calorie a day diet.

On a more serious note:

There's nothing magically wrong with 1200 calories a day... but most people on MFP eating 1200 calories a day are doing so because they are in a hurry to lose weight. They have a large calorie deficit, and large calorie deficits are hard to maintain. It's much much easier to maintain a little deficit.

You also run the risk of mild malnutrition: fewer calories = less room for mistakes = equal no cheating allowed if you are to get adequate nutrients for good health.

So.... in my opinion, the best approach to weight loss is to estimate how many calories you burn each day on average, subtract 250 or 500 calories from that average number, ad any exercise calories you burn, and set that as your target. Funny. That's how MFP does it too.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft and 117lbs and lightly active and I lose plenty at 1350. In fact it is the lowest I can go without feeling lethargic. Going lower is counterproductive to losing weight for me (and yes I did try, because MFP seemed to think I should eat 1270), because I move considerable less and if I do work out I don't actually have the same energy to put into it. It doesn't mean I don't lose weight eating a lower number, but I actually lose the same amount, so I'd rather eat a bit more.
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Wanted to thank most of you for answering without it turing into the usual reponses. I really do need to watch the nutrients and make sure I am getting as much as I would on a higher calorie diet. I usually have too much room at the end of the night to endulge in the sweets and I have been trying to fill up with healthier choices throughout the day to only leave me with 100-200 (depending on if I have exercise calories) calories for something endulgent. I really did not think of how important this change will be for me if I am at such a low net. I just started this journey in late August and I know I still have a lot to learn. I want it to stick this time and I really do not think of it as a diet that is going to end, just a change that I want to keep up forever.