"Healthy" isn't just about what you eat

Options
While I applaud those that are changing their eating habits to lose weight, there are a lot out there that preach that only eating "clean" and unprocessed foods are the path to being healthy. That somehow what we eat is going to define one's health.

So for the newbie or someone wanting to know more, health really comes down to MANY more factors than just food and include:

Weight- Number one risk factor for health. Being overweight or obese carries higher risk for disease or health ailments.

Genetics- If your parents or grand parents were at risk for disease, then you carry that same chance.

Stress- Working or living in highly stressful environments affects health overall.

Physical activity- Lack of physical activity reduces strength and bone density.

Rest- Lack of proper rest interferes with body repair and creates irregular hormone balance

Risk behavior- Smoking, drinking too much, drugs, and high risk activity (unprotected sex, daredevil sports, etc.) all can affect health overall

Environment- Pollution and exposure to other chemical environments will affect some.

Psychological- Mental health definitely has an impact on overall health. Someone could meet all the above criteria, and still have depression issues.

Ideally one wants to be balanced by having all of those factors in their favor.

Point I'm making is that if people think that just eating "healthy" is the only concern for good health, then there's more to learn. By all means better eating (nutrient dense) is a huge plus, but nutrition alone doesn't address many of the above.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I DEFINITELY dont eat clean, but have tried to improve my diet and eat less processed / more fresh stuff. Its a work in progress

The key like you said is a balance of everything. You can eat really bad food and still lose weight but you might not be as healthy as someone who works out and eats a balanced diet. But you might be healthier than someone who eats completely clean but still has other risk factors like stress and family history. Its different for each person and their factors, and theres no one "cure all" but a good balance is a good place to start :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I DEFINITELY dont eat clean, but have tried to improve my diet and eat less processed / more fresh stuff. Its a work in progress

The key like you said is a balance of everything. You can eat really bad food and still lose weight but you might not be as healthy as someone who works out and eats a balanced diet. But you might be healthier than someone who eats completely clean but still has other risk factors like stress and family history. Its different for each person and their factors, and theres no one "cure all" but a good balance is a good place to start :)
    Whole foods should be most people's first choice if they can, but I do get that many people are inexperienced in preparation or time to do it, which makes pre prepped or processed foods their go to.
    Nothing wrong with processed foods as long as one is getting in their correct macros/micros on a daily basis.

IDEA Fitness member
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I notice as I have gotten older, it is much more natural to find balance across the board. With age really does come wisdom. That is, if we survive our poor decision, making in youth.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Whole foods should be most people's first choice if they can, but I do get that many people are inexperienced in preparation or time to do it, which makes pre prepped or processed foods their go to.
    Nothing wrong with processed foods as long as one is getting in their correct macros/micros on a daily basis.

IDEA Fitness member
    I totally agree! Also, I love this quote by Eric Helms that Sarauk2sf has on her profile.
    "Once our nutrient needs are met, we don’t get extra credit for eating more nutritious food! - Eric Helms"
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    I totally agree! Also, I love this quote by Eric Helms that Sarauk2sf has on her profile.
    "Once our nutrient needs are met, we don’t get extra credit for eating more nutritious food! - Eric Helms"
    So true. I was one (in starting my career) that adhered to "clean" eating only in the beginning. And personally, I ended up resenting it and was pissed off every time someone offered me "junk" food at parties. But the more I actually researched it, the more I realized I was being misguided by what the fitness industry was passing on as gospel. Thankfully, I came to the realization that no food is really "junk", but that others were just more nutrient dense or lower in calories. Balancing out the "bad" and good for the last 20 years has kept me sane and consistent. I would hope all would achieve the same.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I would add, though, that exposure to pollutants and chemicals etc. can come in many forms...including what we eat.

I also wonder if it's a matter of viewpoint. If some are thinking about their 20% when they post, and others are thinking about their 80% when they post.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    i never though of this before but i'm actually really curious...do "clean eaters" avoid alcohol?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Agreed! I would add, though, that exposure to pollutants and chemicals etc. can come in many forms...including what we eat.
    As well as unwanted bacteria like salmonella and e coli, but I doubt we'll ever be truly free from any type of exposure to things like this. I was emphasizing more on say living in L.A. vs say Honolulu.
    I also wonder if it's a matter of viewpoint. If some are thinking about their 20% when they post, and others are thinking about their 80% when they post.
    Possibly. Personally I eat whole food 80% of the time and junk food 20% the rest.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    i never though of this before but i'm actually really curious...do "clean eaters" avoid alcohol?
    I'm more than sure that many don't considered alcohol "dirty".

IDEA Fitness member
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you mentioned this. I constantly hear or read people say how clean eating is the best way to lose weight but for many of us who have health issues, it's simply not enough.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Since I'm actually trying to live an enjoyable life, I'm perfectly fine not doing everything "right" on this list. We don't win a medal for dying healthy. I'll be a little bit unhealthy if the tradeoff is an improved experience of life. It's all about finding the right balance. Luckily, I have good genes, so I can be a slacker if I want. :bigsmile:
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Your thread depresses me. I shall compensate now by eating a box of donuts.
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, but I think focusing on clean eating is a completely understandable phenomenon. Of the different parameters you listed, clean eating (and physical activity) are the most tangible for people to change, which is why they receive the most attention. You can actively choose to have a healthier breakfast...it's much harder to directly change your genetics (yet), environment, or psychology. Luckily, oftentimes improving the controllable aspects of your life, including clean eating, also improves the weight, stress, rest and mental health aspects.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Good points on a wider view of "healthy". For me, food and drink intake interact with every element on the list, so it's a pretty complex system.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I agree, ninerbuff.

It is all the thing you listed, and probably more. I work hard at the ones I can control and at how I react to things I have no control over. I work hard at getting enough sleep. That is harder for me than anything else. I do eat mostly whole foods but that is easy because I feel great eating this way. Getting enough rest & sleep seems to be something I'll always struggle with.

I am learning to listen to my body & do what is best for it. It is amazing how my body thanks me when I get all my "healthy" ducks in a row. Talk about motivation to take care of myself!
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    "If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and loving, you don't actually live longer; it just seems longer." Clement Freud
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    So, "clean eating", is that like, eating soap or something? :huh:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I agree with you, but I think focusing on clean eating is a completely understandable phenomenon. Of the different parameters you listed, clean eating (and physical activity) are the most tangible for people to change, which is why they receive the most attention. You can actively choose to have a healthier breakfast...it's much harder to directly change your genetics (yet), environment, or psychology. Luckily, oftentimes improving the controllable aspects of your life, including clean eating, also improves the weight, stress, rest and mental health aspects.
    I'll just point out that the majority of people who invariably switch from a "junk" diet to a "clean" diet overnight usually don't maintain weight loss. Which of course brings back the issues of weight, higher risk, and possible mentality issues with their own body.
    I don't think food of any kind should be feared or disregarded. It just has to be valued as a source of nutrition (whatever it is) and calories while staying within the perimeters of the set goal.

IDEA Fitness member
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that eating clean can in some instances not be the be all, end all in health, but for most of us who are doing it, its about whole body health--by avoiding food with added hormones, pesticides, chemical flavours and colours. Plus we believe that food is our medicine, instead of relying on artificial drugs that have some pretty bad side effects. So for those really interested in it as philosophy and lifestyle, clean eating is ALL about health, and weight loss doesnt even factor (although it is a nice byproduct).
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm sure that eating clean can in some instances not be the be all, end all in health, but for most of us who are doing it, its about whole body health--by avoiding food with added hormones, pesticides, chemical flavours and colours. Plus we believe that food is our medicine, instead of relying on artificial drugs that have some pretty bad side effects. So for those really interested in it as philosophy and lifestyle, clean eating is ALL about health, and weight loss doesnt even factor (although it is a nice byproduct).
    ALL about health isn't just about food though as I've mentioned. I have several friends whom don't exercise at all that eat "clean" and suffer from many of the above mentioned issues. Food is just one part of it.

IDEA Fitness member