Yet another 'I need advice" topic (please help me)

Options
After 8 weeks of working out 3 to 4 times a week, (1hour: 30 mins cardio, 30 mins weights) I have lost a measly 1 pound. no inches lost either.

Now I understand I have gained muscle, but after 4 weeks, this is a bit discouraging...so now I'm reducing my caloric intake from 1600 cals to 1480. I'm sure I will see results now. At least I hope.

A little more about me: I'm 37, female, mom of two...One child is 8 and the other 6 months old (I'm breastfeeding).

Current weight is 157 lbs. I was a fit 140 lbs before I got pregnant.

I've always made exercise a part of my life so gyms are nothing new to me.

What should I do? Should I stay at 1600 and in the "green" at the end of my log day, or should I go down to 1480 and stay in the green?

btw, I am being honest in my logging and portion sizes. Ain't nobody got time for that.

HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME

Edited to tell you I'm 5' 4" tall.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You aren't gaining muscle eating at a deficit so take that off the table. If you're breastfeeding you should be adding at least 300 calories a day for that so doing lower than 1600 seems like a really bad idea.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Set activity level to more truthful Lightly Active.

With only about 15 lbs to lose, you should select 1 lb loss weekly to keep it reasonable. At 10 lbs left, change to 1/2 lb weekly.

Log your workouts, and eat back those exercise calories less 20%.
    Use MFP estimate for strength training, may seem low compared to cardio or what HRM says, but it's truly that low.

Be accurate with weighing (not measuring volume) with all food that enters your lips.

Add that breastfeeding back in, does your baby need a deficit? Does your body need more stress?

And unless your lifting program was progressive overload at heavy for you in the 8-10 rep range eating enough protein - no you didn't gain muscle, not at such a steep deficit.
    You got stronger, you filled your muscle up with more glucose and required water, you lost some fat on top of it, ect - all reasons it may appear you gained enough muscle to see, but actually requires NO gaining of muscle to accomplish.

That's why you likely haven't seen inches move either, body isn't getting enough food to try to make improvements, it's going to use everything it gets for the basic stuff of life and milk needed. Not building muscle which takes more energy daily your body already isn't getting. No, your body is smarter than that and will adapt.

Under-eating has probably sapped some of your energy too so you move around less all day - probably not even aware of how much less you do, though it could still seem busy.

And reach your daily eating goal. 50 over is better than 100 below type thing.

If not reaching goal is acceptable, you willing to do that with goal weight too, stop early?
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    You aren't gaining muscle eating at a deficit so take that off the table.

You are if you're just starting out.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    When I was eating 1600 cals a day, I truly never, ever felt deprived. I was even eating a donut just 'cause I could...mind you, I would definitely go to the gym if I ate a dount.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

No, you aren't.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yah no muscle gains......

YOur diary is not open so it's hard to say for sure but...

Do you use a kitchen scale to weight food.

I was losing weight slowly (similar to yours) prior to using my scale...now I am losing faster

you are losing and remember "new" exercise does cause water retention for a couple of weeks as do weights for repair.

I am going to say tho if you are not losing what you "should" be then chances are you are overestimating burns or under estimating intake.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yah no muscle gains......

YOur diary is not open so it's hard to say for sure but...

Do you use a kitchen scale to weight food.

I was losing weight slowly (similar to yours) prior to using my scale...now I am losing faster

you are losing and remember "new" exercise does cause water retention for a couple of weeks as do weights for repair.

I am going to say tho if you are not losing what you "should" be then chances are you are overestimating burns or under estimating intake.

Bolded for emphasis. This is what I was going to ask.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food?
    Are you logging your breastfeeding and eating the extra calories for it?
    Are you logging any exercise and eating back the earned exercise calories?
    If so, are you using MFP/machine estimates or a heart rate monitor to calculate your burns?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Maybe. But not enough to offset the losses she should be seeing.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    A lot of women have a hard time losing while breastfeeding. Finding the right number of calories to eat while losing weight while still eating enough to produce enough/quality milk can be a delicate balance. What's worked for me was eating as I liked, working out/getting stronger, and then after the son was weaned I started counting calories. I realize that's not the answer for everyone, but it was the answer for me, and it allowed me to make base changes in a way that I got used to them one at a time.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    The only question I have is, "What calorie amount does your doctor say you should be eating to sustain yourself and your baby at this level of exercise?"

Eat that. Keep working out. Do a cut when the baby is off the boob. Pat yourself on the back for being a great mommy.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Newb gains only really occur in those who have never trained and is highly unlikely in that short of period of time. Even in a surplus woman can barely gain 1/2 lb per week of muscle (initially and tapers in the end).
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    No, I am not weighing my food....

I was told to eat an extra 300 cals for baby...

thanks everyone, keep the suggestions coming...
  • psuLemon
    Options

I was told to eat an extra 300 cals for baby...

thanks everyone, keep the suggestions coming...

Weighing foods is critical to success. It's very easy to under estimate as much as 400 calories or so, especially when it comes to calorie dense foods. Get a good food scale to start with an log for 1 month. And just make sure you eat enough for baby.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

This is the problem
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    The only question I have is, "What calorie amount does your doctor say you should be eating to sustain yourself and your baby at this level of exercise?"

Eat that. Keep working out. Do a cut when the baby is off the boob. Pat yourself on the back for being a great mommy.

This is the point I want to make, too. Also, I just want to say that since you are breastfeeding, it's virtually impossible to know how many calories you should eat. Definitely start weighing your food, logging accurately, and adjust your calorie allotment as necessary to improve weight loss. You probably know this already, but eating less than 1600 calories might not be a good idea for your milk supply.

Edited to add that in my case, it was impossible for me to lose weight while breastfeeding. Eliminate calories, and my milk supply was practically gone. That's the main reason for my advice above.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Until you start actually weighing your food, everything else is a moot point because you don't really know how much you're eating.