Winter blue

Options
As much as I try to stay positive in the winter and stick to my diet, I find myself just falling back to my old ways when I'm feeling down. Working out definitely helps but what do you do when you just can't control that "down" feeling and you just want to say **** it! Emotional eating is definitely an issue for me and even though I know I can control it when I want to control it, sometimes I just don't give a crap and in some ways it does actually make me feel better. How do I fight this and stay on track? Last night I literally ate over 1000 calories with just mindless eating and attitude. I know I can still bounce back diet-wise, but my mind is still in a negative place as much as I try to stay positive and be grateful for what I have in life.

Replies

• Mustgetbuff
    Mustgetbuff Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Maybe try taking a vitamin D supplement in the winter? You can only get vitamin D from being exposed to direct sunlight for about 20 minutes, so if you live far north like me you may not see the sun at all on most days, causing a deficiency. Vitamin D has many benefits, one of which is combating depression. It may give you the extra energy and mood boost that you need to stick to your goals. Vitamin B12 can also be helpful in warding off the blues, though most people tend to get enough of it if they're meateaters.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    hmm thanks maybe I'll look into that
  • Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I suffer from the same...however, at least you're still in the mood to workout. I've hit a slump in that department. This weather affects it all for me :-/ I was debating whether or not to get a sun lamp!
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    S.A.D. lamp.
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I HATE the winter too... mostly I find I want to sleep.. to just get through it, but since I took off the weight last year, hit my goal in November, I am still actively working out.
    The best thing you can do is continue to use this site, watch your calories, keep up the workouts and maybe if you can... book a vacation somewhere warm in the middle of the winter, like say FEB. Then, you can help to keep yourself on track having that great vacation to look forward to and bathing suits with it.
  • nm212
    Options
    That's a great idea. I could use a vacation!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I like getting out for a walk in the morning just as the sun is coming up. Also vitamin D helps.
  • nm212
    Options
    ooh where can I buy a sun lamp? That sounds good...
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I recommend using VRBO (Vacation Rental By Owner) You can find a place anywhere in the world pretty much in your price range. We have used them many times and have never been disappointed. It is also where we advertise our place in Mexico and it reaps excellent results with getting tenants booked. Love VRBO! www.vrbo.com
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I go tanning - people would seriously die and I would jump off a bridge if I didn't.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I recommend using VRBO (Vacation Rental By Owner) You can find a place anywhere in the world pretty much in your price range. We have used them many times and have never been disappointed. It is also where we advertise our place in Mexico and it reaps excellent results with getting tenants booked. Love VRBO! www.vrbo.com

Bump to save this!

OP, I suggest Vitamin D, if you can't get any direct sunlight, that is.
    A vacation would be awesome!!
  • nm212
    Options
    I recently discovered the sauna at my gym and it is seriously a life changer during the cold winter months here in NY! The heat just releases so much and I feel so relaxed and rejuvenated after!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    The sauna sounds good right about now! I'm in Jersey and it's freezing here, and I don't wanna even leave the house it's so cold lol!¡! Tomorrow after my workout,I will be definitely going into sauna