Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Group fitness instructors & talking

When you hear the "You can do it" You're so amazing!!" stuff in fitness class, does anyone else ever feel like shouting back and saying, "I know so shut up and let me do it!"?

Or feel a little creeped out when an instructor talks about how sexy you are (talking to the group in general and saying stuff like "you're all sexy ladies!!)?

Are people really motivated by it? I just kept wanting to tell them to shut up and stop being weird. How is that kind of generic talk motivating at all?

I'm going to stick with Zumba, LOL. The instructors don't talk during class.

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Lol, no, I find those rather motivating! Just don't remind me of sweat or pain or "you will be so sore tomorrow!" Or, it may feel okay now, but just wait a few minutes!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    I would rather hear someone yelling positive motivation over "Hey tubby, move your fat *kitten*" or not saying anything at all.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    I just too my first BodyCombat class last week and ran into this for the first time. I found it mildly annoying; the instructor was this insanely fit 20-something guy, and I was mentally hissing "Screw you, Captain America" as my short little middle-aged body tried not to pass out in the middle of class. :wink:

I'm also not a big fan of all the whooping and hollering in some of the Zumba classes I've been in on the participant end. Personally I am breathing way to hard and concentrating on the footwork to vocalize, and I'm there for a workout, not a "party" atmosphere. I know I'm probably in the minority with that though, so I never complain or anything. I just focus on doing my own thing.

As you can probably tell, I'm very self-focused when it comes to working out. Anything other than choreo cues and music is just distracting to me.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Lol, I never had that happen in any class I took. I would probably lose focus because I would be laughing.