Yogurt vs Greek Yogurt

Options
Can someone explain why Greek Yogurt is better for you than regular yogurt. I just had Pumpkin Pie Yoplait Light. It was delicious. I've never bought Greek, but I see most people that intake yougurt eat tue Greek variety. Input welcomed :-)

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    It tends to be higher in protein than regular yogurt, and some people prefer the thicker texture.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt usually has at least twice the amount of protein for the same amount of regular yogurt. Plus it's delicious.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    People generally use Greek yogurt to hit their protein macro goals...it's much higher in protein than "regular" yogurt. Also, many people prefer the texture...it's hard to explain but it's heavier/creamier.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Yup - more protein IF it is real Greek yoghurt. Some brands make a greek-style yoghurt that is just regular yoghurt, thickened. Check the labels! Chobani and Fage are both true Greek yoghurts.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    A lil more protein (5-6g) and it is a creamier texture. However, if you budget says regular yogurt get the regular. It comes down to a few extra grams of protein, but I cant justify that when I it's $5.99 for the Greek vs $2.99 for regular. It's not a miracle food though it's just yogurt processed differently.

Now what I should check next time is what is the comparison in live cultures. Does anyone know that information?
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    A container of Yoplait Light has about 4-5g of protein, while a container of greek yogurt has about 12-14g protein. It has a great protein:calorie ratio and (in my opinion) is more filling than regular yogurt. Probably one of my favorite snacks!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/yogurt-smackdown-greek-vs-regular.html

Here's a little article in comparison if youre interested

http://www.agricultured.org/2012/09/27/whats-the-difference-between-regular-and-greek-yogurt/

Another one and it looks like the live cultures are the same, but I wonder if there is some loss with the straining?
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/yogurt-smackdown-greek-vs-regular.html

Here's a little article in comparison if youre interested

http://www.agricultured.org/2012/09/27/whats-the-difference-between-regular-and-greek-yogurt/

Another one and it looks like the live cultures are the same, but I wonder if there is some loss with the straining?

There might well be some loss, but does that really matter? The strains that aid digestion are L. acidophilus and some Bifidobacterium strains. I think brands like Activia add extra of these. But my daughter's doc said that even then there really aren't enough to actually help anything. If you want to take these, take a probiotic pill to ensure a sufficient dose.
  • speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Lots of companies just add cornstarch to regular yogurt and call it greek then jack up the price. If cornstarch is labeled on the top of the ingredient list it's not "real" greek yogurt and stay away from it cause they are hosing people out of a **** load of money for not actual greek. This ticks me off and people keep buying it cause they don't know any better ????.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I didn't like greek yogurt at first but now I love it and exclusively buy it. Only get it on sale or markdown though. It's super filling, so even though it's more expensive, I probably keep myself from eating something else anyway. Plain I sweeten with a little sweetener and berries, or use it in place of mayo or sour cream. Try a container and you'll see what we mean.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is like eating pudding. Regular yogurt is like eating rotten slime from a dying snail.

You're welcome.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Carnivor0us, that's one way of putting it!!! Didn't know about the protein though. Interesting.....
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Yup - more protein IF it is real Greek yoghurt. Some brands make a greek-style yoghurt that is just regular yoghurt, thickened. Check the labels! Chobani and Fage are both true Greek yoghurts.

I'm not buying Chowbani's "real"

it's like cow slobber- its' one of the thinnest greek yogurts I've tried. So disappointed.

Cabot and Fage are probably the only two I will EVER use again.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    The Kroger brand has more protein content than the mainstream brands and are way cheaper.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I like both, but tend to eat the Greek stuff more often because of protein.