Blew My Doctor Away!

Options
It was the spring of 2012, when I visit Dr. Taye in Selma, California. My sweet, lady doctor was used to her 280+ pound patient with the swollen legs and borderline diabetic blood sugar readings. She worried about my repeated episodes of phlebitis. She also suspected that the blood clots might be directly related to my daily Estrogen doses.

We talked about my weight, my swollen legs, the repeated blood clots and my increasing blood sugar levels; but she never 'pushed me' to do anything. She just suggested that I might have less problems, if I lost weight. She also put me on daily doses of Lasix to help with the swelling in my legs.

Today, I went back to see Dr. Taye for the first time in many months; and she was grinning from ear to ear, when she walked into the examination room. Her former patient was no longer the woman she remembered. She couldn't help but see my almost 90 pounds of weight loss, and my labs showed nothing but success.

When I told her about counting calories, swimming laps and weaning myself off of Estrogen, Dr. Taye was so pleased. She made the remark, "I wish more of my patients would take responsibility for changing their lives like you have done."

She asked me some questions about my legs and continued need for knee surgeries. Then, she told me to discontinue the Lasix..."You don't need it anymore." That also means, "No more Potassium Chloride either." I am down to my daily vitamins. Hallelujah!

I was given an immediately referral and appointment with the Fresno Orthopedic Surgeons on next Friday morning. Dr. Taye says that I am a great candidate for that knee surgery..."at your new weight".

I also got a referral to my old dermatologist Dr. Crogan, who is going to help me with dry patches of skin under my breasts and belly. They aren't anything serious...just some old age marks, but he may be able to freeze them or order some other kind of treatment. I will see what he decides.

All in all, this was a really great day; and I was delighted to see the beaming smile of my sweet Dr. Taye again.

Replies

• retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all your hard earned success! There's nothing like an admiring doctor to put a smile on your face and help you keep the motivation going! On to new knees now! Good luck, Sue!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing NSV. I have been following your progress on here over the recent months and you are an inspiration to all of us.

Good luck with the knee surgery.
  • lighteningjeanne855
    Options
    Congratulations!
    It's a wonderful feeling when you can make your doctor smile,
    instead of sigh and shake her head.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a GREAT doctor visit, and that's awesome that you are now down to just your daily vitamin! Good job hon!

Good luck with the surgery, and hope they can find something that works well with the dry patches! :flowerforyou:
  • ummyasminah
    ummyasminah Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Congrats, that's great news!
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I just read your profile. This is huge!! Congratulations, you are such in inspiration.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    You have worked very hard for this! Hope your new knees become your best friends.

My wish for each person at mfp is that he/she can soon say, "Blew My Doctor Away!"
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    woohoo!!! Great news!!!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear your choices are improving things for you, keep it up!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Great work! Keep it up.
  • NoTry_JustDo
    Options
    Ahhhhh, now *I* am grinning from ear to ear, just reading this! You must have felt so proud and pleased.
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Sue, I am so happy for you and I know your doctor wishes more or her patients were so proactive in resolving some of their issues. Like many, I too didn't want to admit just how much my weight was negatively affecting me. You've made a new future for yourself, a much better one!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Wow! I really enjoyed reading this!! That is a HUGE accomplishment and a testament of what hard work and determination can do for your health, mind, body and soul!!! YOU ROCK GIRL!!!!!
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    That's such great news. I love hearing success stories about health. Congratulations and keep up the hard work.
  • JeralynSh
    JeralynSh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic!
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I love to hear success stories like yours ~ thanks for sharing!
  • LMJS
    LMJS Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What an amazing feeling to have such success and a big thumbs up from your doctor. So great that your now only taking daily vitamins, you've made some amazing changes to your health and well being and your story was very inspiring to read.

Thanks so much for sharing and I wish you all the best for your knee surgery :flowerforyou:
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    That is a fantastic day indeed. If only people realised how many health issues could be eliminated simply by losing some weight. Congratulations, all your hard work has paid off in the best possible way.:flowerforyou:
  • cocoalba
    cocoalba Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Your testimony moved me to tears. I'm so inspired by you!
  • bohica36
    bohica36 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Here's hoping for a speedy recovery after your knee replacements.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!