Ahhh, dont know whats going on.....

Options

Replies

• briniepoo
    briniepoo Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am an ALT, (Assistant Language teacher). But I still have to eat everything, I eat with the kids, and if I dont eat everything, the other teachers say that the kids may think its ok not to eat everything. I have to be a good example. Even if we are teachers, we still have to follow the rules! Which means, we have to eat everything. Its not a school cafeteria, the food comes in, every plate has to have the same amount served so that theres enough. No food if allowed to go in the bin (unless its dropped lol), or returned to the School Lunch Center.
  • briniepoo
    Options
    Ok, just to get feedback.

I did my biking, 30 minutes, 15.20 km, my heart rate according to the bike monitor was between 145 and 166 bpm, rpm 90-93, weights/ level 9-11. The bike said 250 calories give or take. If I was to input this, I myself would put in MFP 150 calories. What would you guys say?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you're not logging accurately. I looked at your diary and saw ALOT of Quick Add calories. That's not being terribly accurate. What about your other food? Are you weighing or measuring your food or are you guessing?

Chances are you're eating more than you think.

This.

Quick added calories are evil :bigsmile: because using them means we don't really know how many calories we ate.

I agree that you need to log more accurately.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Ok, just to get feedback.

I did my biking, 30 minutes, 15.20 km, my heart rate according to the bike monitor was between 145 and 166 bpm, rpm 90-93, weights/ level 9-11. The bike said 250 calories give or take. If I was to input this, I myself would put in MFP 150 calories. What would you guys say?

Try this link.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

I have found it helpful.
  • metalchic46n2
    metalchic46n2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your calories did seem low at 1000-1200, so glad to see you up them because the body can't sustain that for very long. It looks as though you are mostly doing cardio and after time cardio will actually slow your metabolism and your body will store the energy differently because it will want to save it for the endurance of cardio. You can increase your metabolism with weights and/or body weight exercises (Yoga actually uses your body as the weight). There are plenty of body weight exercises like squats, lunges, push ups, etc. to get you started and they can all be varied.
  • briniepoo
    Options
  • briniepoo
    Options
    Your calories did seem low at 1000-1200, so glad to see you up them because the body can't sustain that for very long. It looks as though you are mostly doing cardio and after time cardio will actually slow your metabolism and your body will store the energy differently because it will want to save it for the endurance of cardio. You can increase your metabolism with weights and/or body weight exercises (Yoga actually uses your body as the weight). There are plenty of body weight exercises like squats, lunges, push ups, etc. to get you started and they can all be varied.

Oh, I do do weights!
    I do 30 minutes each day, Arms Mon, Wed and Friday. Legs Tues, Thurs and Sat. I do 30 to 40 minutes each.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I am an ALT, (Assistant Language teacher). But I still have to eat everything, I eat with the kids, and if I dont eat everything, the other teachers say that the kids may think its ok not to eat everything. I have to be a good example. Even if we are teachers, we still have to follow the rules! Which means, we have to eat everything. Its not a school cafeteria, the food comes in, every plate has to have the same amount served so that theres enough. No food if allowed to go in the bin (unless its dropped lol), or returned to the School Lunch Center.

What a convenient excuse! You poor thing, being force-fed, with literally no recourse. Aw. :huh:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I have 2 sashe coffees, they are 30 calories. I cant drink real milk, so I tend not to have any. I have a teaspoon of sugar. I think at least I had 4 of these coffees a day this week. So yeah, need to be more careful about that.

So that's 4 coffees @ at least 45 calories each, depending on how generous your teaspoons are, or 180 calories a day minimum that you aren't logging.
  • sammycat1
    sammycat1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Probably the best advice I can give you is to read this straight talking plan. Good luck

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/how-to-create-an-effective-diet-plan-for-free/
  • metalchic46n2
    metalchic46n2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Consider swapping out isolation exercises for full body movements, http://startingstrength.com/ is a great place to start and don't be afraid to go heavy! Unless you're using steroids, a woman can never bulk like a man, we just don't have the hormones for it.
  • briniepoo
    Options
    I figured out what was happening with the running calories. I did a 10 minute walk, and looked at the calories, the machine said 50 or so. OK. I then did a 10 minute run, 8.5-9.0 km / hour, 1.4 kms, the machine said 50 calories.....huh?

So I did more tinkering, and have figured that the machine uses the same calorie count for walking and running, no matter how many kms you walk or run. I thought it was strange, I was like running 30 minutes, and the machine would say 110 calories or abit.

So its very likely was was kinda really underestimating before, maybe thats why my weight loss has stalled.

What do you guys think?
  • briniepoo
    Options
    Ahhh, I feel so upset! Checked myself this morning, and I have put on inches and weight across the board. My lovely 5kg loss is now 4kg loss.

I really dont know whats going on again. When I was netting 1200-1400 I was tired and binging. I increase that to 1300-1500 net calories and I put on weight.

I had a big weekend before, but usually when I have big weekends, if I keep my diet, the weight goes back to the before that weekemd and inches stay the same, but this time they have gone up.
  • Siansonea
    Options
    It's no mystery. You're consuming too many calories. That's "what's going on". However you're arriving at your calorie totals, it's clearly not accurate, especially since you're being force-fed lunch at school and can't possibly know what kind of calories you're being forced to eat against your will.

However you're determining your calorie output, it's also not accurate. You keep saying that you're "netting" X number of calories. Well, if you're not losing weight, then you're NOT "netting" those calories. You can throw up your hands and give up, OR you can get real with yourself and TRACK CALORIES IN AND CALORIES OUT ACCURATELY.

Or your body defies the laws of physics. That's the other option.
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    A cup of miso soup is a boat load of sodium - 1000 by itself, give or take. Is it possible your sodium is just very high? Water will bind to sodium in the body, and your body can only process so much sodium at one time.

I'm not entirely clear on how much or how long you can hold onto that sort of water weight, mostly because of contradiction of sources, but I guess in theory you could very seriously impact your mass from sodium. There are HUGE swings in my weight depending on how I manage my sodium over a week.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Wait - the kids and the teachers eat the same amount of food at lunch? That makes no sense to me.

As far as the rest of this goes - you're either overestimating your Calorie burn or underestimating your Calorie intake. Maybe both. It's really that simple.
  • prdough
    prdough Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My input for what its worth:

Losing weight isn't easy, it isn't comfortable, it isn't fun. especially at the beginning!

It is even harder when the change is more drastic.

The first couple days of eating at a defecit I got headaches, had that upset stomach feeling, felt lethargic, etc.

After about a week I started feeling a heck of a lot better and the weight started moving off of me.

I would try and stick at that uncomfortable range for a couple of days and push past it.
    Get rid of the alcohol, get rid of the sugar in your coffee.
    If after 4 or 5 days you don't feel any better (and by better I don't mean you feel full all the time), then try something different.

From reading posts on here, people seem to act as though losing weight is effortless and comfy. If that was the case, it would be easy and nobody would be over weight. You may not like how you feel for a couple days, but I think after that you will start to feel better.

The cliche's work! Work hard, eat/consume less, drink tons of water. No real secret!

If that doesn't work..see a doctor.
  • briniepoo
    Options
    Hi, yeah, the kids and the teachers eat the same amount of food together. Its not a cafateria, the food gets delivered to the lunch ladies, the lunch ladies serve the food, almost exact equal amounts, then we all eat the same food.
  • Siansonea
    Options
    You should probably find a different job, one where you're not forced to eat whatever they decide to make you eat and you have absolutely no recourse but to eat everything they give you or you'll be fired. A normal job, for instance.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Hi, yeah, the kids and the teachers eat the same amount of food together.

If it's enough food to fatten up a grownup, I can only imagine how huge the kids at that school must be...