Running- avoiding tightness in calves

I wanted to know if anyone out there struggles with getting tight calves after and during a run. I used to struggle with knees when I first started running a few years ago. That no longer causes me issues- and hopefully won't again, but now I seem to never stretch my calves out enough. What am I doing wrong or could I do different? Is there a way that I'm running improperly? I use a foam roller and do tons of stretches after running and also warm up- though I don't stretch as much when warming up. I would love any advice! Thanks!

Replies

• conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    I had issues with this when I first started running and saw a physical therapist who did a therapy called dry needling to loosen my calf muscles. They were in a constant state of being tight until he did that. Now I just stretch them by hanging my heels off of a step for about 30 seconds before and after my runs, in addition to hamstring and quad stretches.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    The calf exercise that MissMollieK suggested is great! After each run that is what I do. I also believe that calf compression sleeves work well. I rarely run in the sleeves, but when I first started running I used them for recovery often!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Stretching is great, but the effects don't last long, so if you have chronically tight calves, i'd wear a night splint, to stretch the calves the entire time you sleep. Choose one that adjusts incrementally to angles smaller than 90 degrees, like this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Plantar-Fasciitis-Splint-Medium/dp/B006L8N71Y

I'd also wear shoes with a low heel (< 6 mm heel-to-toe drop). The low heel allows your calves to stretch farther each time your heel hits the ground, which relaxes the calves. Most shoes have a raised heel, which has the opposite effect.
    It's good to transition to lower-heeled shoes cautiously, to avoid injuries.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    At the risk of asking the obvious.......how often (and for how long) do you wear shoes with high heels?
  • Compression socks always feel good. They push out the lactic acid that stiffens the myofibrils.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Compression socks always feel good. They push out the lactic acid that stiffens the myofibrils.

lactic acid does no such thing. it's a primary fuel for muscle, not a waste product. it's unrelated to soreness or tightness.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Use a small firm ball such as a lacrosse ball to kneed your calf muscles to loosen them up. =)

You can also stand on top of said ball and kneed the bottom of your foot.

Push past the discomfort and you'll love it.
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    I am too suffering from this as well as knee pain. How do I subdide my knee pain ?
  • Compression socks always feel good. They push out the lactic acid that stiffens the myofibrils.

lactic acid does no such thing. it's a primary fuel for muscle, not a waste product. it's unrelated to soreness or tightness.

Fuel? You're either unfamiliar with cellular respiration or you're a funny person I want to be friends with.
  • squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    I often struggle with it, to the point of tearing the calf muscles. In fact, I did a 5k race today and am now pretty tight! For me, the solution was seeing a p.t. I got some inserts that help reallign my feet. I also need to be very conscious of my gait. He adjusted my gait (which is controversial) but it has made all the difference. I also find that I need to ensure my hamstrings are really loose. The problems really seem to begin at the hamstrings, but it's the calves that bear the brunt of the problem.

Fuel? You're either unfamiliar with cellular respiration or you're a funny person I want to be friends with.

A third option exists, which is that you mistook lactate for pyruvate from which lactate is synthesized during anarobic cellular respiration. Its true that lactate does not contribute to soreness, but it does cause pain by lowering the pH and causing acidosis. It is indeed a byproduct of cellular respiration, specifically the oxidation of pyruvate. The build up of this waste product causes pain and temporary decreased activity between the myofibril, due to the pH change.
  • pcastagner
    Compression socks always feel good. They push out the lactic acid that stiffens the myofibrils.

The myth you are preaching was busted years ago. Time to update the old knowledge base, bro.

here is a 2006 new york times article covering the science http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/16/health/nutrition/16run.html?_r=0

"As for the idea that lactic acid causes muscle soreness, Dr. Gladden said, that never made sense.

"Lactic acid will be gone from your muscles within an hour of exercise," he said. "You get sore one to three days later. The time frame is not consistent, and the mechanisms have not been found."

The understanding now is that muscle cells convert glucose or glycogen to lactic acid. The lactic acid is taken up and used as a fuel by mitochondria, the energy factories in muscle cells.

Mitochondria even have a special transporter protein to move the substance into them, Dr. Brooks found. Intense training makes a difference, he said, because it can make double the mitochondrial mass."
  • pcastagner

A third option exists, which is that you mistook lactate for pyruvate from which lactate is synthesized during anarobic cellular respiration. Its true that lactate does not contribute to soreness, but it does cause pain by lowering the pH and causing acidosis. It is indeed a byproduct of cellular respiration, specifically the oxidation of pyruvate. The build up of this waste product causes pain and temporary decreased activity between the myofibril, due to the pH change.

muscle soreness is still poorly understood, so your acidosis conclusion is unsound, further, it's completely unsubstantiated
  • I never correlated soreness and acidosis. See above. The Krebs cycle of cellular respiration is well understood. However, that's an interesting article I've never see and I'll look into it.
  • pcastagner
    I never correlated soreness and acidosis. See above. The Krebs cycle of cellular respiration is well understood. However, that's an interesting article I've never see and I'll look into it.

you don't consider pain and soreness to be synonyms? I do. Although, specifically, soreness tends to imply pain not related to injury.

It's fuel man, not waste. This is like, OLD news. By the time NYT wrote about it, it was old news. That was over 7 years ago. It will live on though, as long as someone has a lactate dispelling massage, tube sock, or special blood lactate monitoring device to sell. Don't even get me started on workout plans designed to avoid lactic acid.
  • I never correlated soreness and acidosis. See above. The Krebs cycle of cellular respiration is well understood. However, that's an interesting article I've never see and I'll look into it.

you don't consider pain and soreness to be synonyms? I do. Although, specifically, soreness tends to imply pain not related to injury.

It's fuel man, not waste. This is like, OLD news. By the time NYT wrote about it, it was old news. That was over 7 years ago. It will live on though, as long as someone has a lactate dispelling massage, tube sock, or special blood lactate monitoring device to sell. Don't even get me started on workout plans designed to avoid lactic acid.

^ agreements on the profit ergo junk medicine point.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    That piqued my interest as a biology major (and someone who has heard soreness comes from lactic acid buildup), so I read up on it.

Dr. Brooks' thesis for his research (which was published in 1985, not 2006) was not on muscle soreness, but on fatigue/failure. He was challenging the coaches that said "Don't work too hard, your lactic acid will build up and then you won't be able to perform." He was challenging the idea that lactic acid buildup caused muscle failure in athletes, not the idea that it caused soreness in untrained athletes. It is a subtle, but distinct, difference. Following the rabbit hole, I found that even his studies identified that trained people were more efficient at utilizing lactic acid in muscles. This supports Dr. Brooks' hypothesis that it is a muscular fuel, but it does not refute that it contributes to DOMS in untrained people.

As for Dr. Gladden's claim, there have been experiments that measured elevated lactic levels in muscles several hours after workouts, and most researchers tend to agree that DOMS comes from a combination of unused lactic acid and an influx of lymphocytes and blood flow to repair tissue that the body is not used to having to repair.

So in summary: Don't just quote NYT articles. The journalist writing the article is giving you his interpretation of the results. In a scientific study, the details he may gloss over or the different diction he may use matters A LOT. Also, any journalist could find a guy with a PhD trying to push his research. What matters is if his methods are sound and if his results are able to be reproduced.
  • Hmm. Looks like I have a lot of reading up to do. Also berateing my chemistrye professors for perpetuation of old sscience if indeed I find these claims of lactate as fuel to be true.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    OP, this seems like one of those things that some people just have to eventually train through...that it resolves over time as you continue training...but that people try various things along the way and attribute their success to whatever it was they tried before it stopped being an issue when time/continued training was what actually resolved it.

(This is all just my own personal theory...or more accurately, my own speculation. Whatever you decide to try, good luck.)
  • I wanted to know if anyone out there struggles with getting tight calves after and during a run. I used to struggle with knees when I first started running a few years ago. That no longer causes me issues- and hopefully won't again, but now I seem to never stretch my calves out enough. What am I doing wrong or could I do different? Is there a way that I'm running improperly? I use a foam roller and do tons of stretches after running and also warm up- though I don't stretch as much when warming up. I would love any advice! Thanks!

As a very overweight person my calf muscles used to tighten up considerably after a strenuous walk. I did two things at the same time so I'm not sure which item "cured" me but I no longer suffer that tightening when walking:

1) New walking shoes. My old shoes, good for casual walking, were no good for long treks through the mighty concrete jungle. I also learned that after every 500 - 800 miles of walking I need new shoes.
    2) I started wearing compression socks for a circulatory problem. The compression socks have reduced the size of my right calf by almost 1.5 inches and a similar drop on my left calf. That excess fluid in my calfs was causing me issues.

I don't know which one did it, but I no longer have the soreness and, in some cases, cramping that I used to have.