Dumbing Down Water Weight pls!?

Options
can someone please explain what water weight is and how to get rid of it forever (if thats possible!)

Replies

• tindy5799
    tindy5799 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    water weight from what I understand is the water your cells hold on to, sorry I can't get any more indepth than that.

for me, I drink 100 ounces of water a day, 3 of my huge nalgene water bottles as a minimum, EVERY SINGLE DAY. And I find that my body doesn't hold on to too much water, even if I have a high carb meal. I start CHUGGING water if I eat something with high sodium or super high carb that's gonna make me bloated.

Works for me, my stomach looks bloated and puffy way less often now, almost never because my body knows it will always get more water. But you have to be consistent and drink a ton everyday.
  • here2inspire
    Options
    water weight from what I understand is the water your cells hold on to, sorry I can't get any more indepth than that.

for me, I drink 100 ounces of water a day, 3 of my huge nalgene water bottles as a minimum, EVERY SINGLE DAY. And I find that my body doesn't hold on to too much water, even if I have a high carb meal. I start CHUGGING water if I eat something with high sodium or super high carb that's gonna make me bloated.

Works for me, my stomach looks bloated and puffy way less often now, almost never because my body knows it will always get more water. But you have to be consistent and drink a ton everyday.

so if i were to drink 8 cups a day for like a month my water weight would go away?!
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body stores "ready energy" in their liver and muscles, called glycogen. It gives you a sudden burst of energy when you need it. Glycogen is made up of 1 part carbohydrate and 4 parts water. When you cut back on your carbs as happens with most low-calorie plans, your body uses up the glycogen and sheds the water that it's attached to. That's water weight loss.

There's no way to permanently get rid of it, and you wouldn't want to. What you want is for your body to start burning fat stores which happens after the glycogen is used up. That's why a lot of people lose 5 or so extra pounds below their goal weight, to allow for the inevitable lbs that will be gained when their glycogen and water restores.
  • here2inspire
    Options
    Everyone's body stores "ready energy" in their liver and muscles, called glycogen. It gives you a sudden burst of energy when you need it. Glycogen is made up of 1 part carbohydrate and 4 parts water. When you cut back on your carbs as happens with most low-calorie plans, your body uses up the glycogen and sheds the water that it's attached to. That's water weight loss.

There's no way to permanently get rid of it, and you wouldn't want to. What you want is for your body to start burning fat stores which happens after the glycogen is used up. That's why a lot of people lose 5 or so extra pounds below their goal weight, to allow for the inevitable lbs that will be gained when their glycogen and water restores.

sorry if this sounds dumb but if i were to go on a low carb diet for like a week, would that help!?
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    sorry if this sounds dumb but if i were to go on a low carb diet for like a week, would that help!?

Help what? Do you have unusually high water retention? If so, you should see a doctor. If you want to just lose several pounds quickly (and you're not already in a state of glycogen depletion) for a special event or something then a low carb week would probably make you drop some water weight. But why bother? It's not fat loss and it's not permanent.
  • tindy5799
    tindy5799 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    There is no "quick" solution and no, drinking lots of water for a week won't help. All it will do is make your body less likely to hold on to excess water if you drink it all the time.
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Water weight is usually a TEMPORARY state that resolves itself.

Try eating a ton of salt on your meals and weigh yourself the next day youll be bloated up with water weight.

Its not permanent lol.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You know what makes your body retain water? High sodium, working out, etc. All vary in how long it happens.

You know what else makes your body try to hold onto everything it can? Undereating. Try actually eating a healthy amount of calories for a bit, and see if that makes a difference.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Shake it off.

shake10.gif