Is cheese bad for you?

Options
Here's the insane amount of cheese I put in my sandwich today:

1 Britannia - Cheese Cube Mirchi Popper- 59 cal 1g Carbs, 5g Fat & 3g Protein
2 Britannia - Slimz Cheese Slices- 103 cal 3g carbs, 6g Fat & 9g Protein.

When I look at this, it doesn't look so bad right? 162 cals, 4 g Carbs, 11 g fat & 12 g Protein! (And sodium within my limit too)
Being a vegetarian who hates most of the veggies, I am really short on choices for Protein. Even though I have at least 1 scoop of ON whey protein(24 g) everyday I struggle with my Protein requirement(I do strength training 5-6 days a week) and often overshoot on carbs.

Based on that, it looks like an okay diet decision to me, but Cheese is so demonised - I wonder if it's a healthy choice?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Who's demonising it? As you've seen, you can see the various nutritional elements for yourself - if it fits with your daily goals, then it's fine.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    That's not tons of cheese.
    162 calories is nothing.
    Cheese is a great source of protein - use it.
    Unless you have a medical reason that says otherwise - cheese is not bad.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I agree. I love cheese. Just have to fit it in!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,092 Member
    Options
    Cheese is a good source of calcium and protein.

It is calorie dense though so you have to be careful with portion size.

I love cheese and I eat small amount now and then - not a problem.
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I routinely eat cheese, I love it!!! I have to weight it out though because 1 oz never seems enough, I usually have 2 oz=240 calories, I work it into my daily calories:)
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    the french eat 60% more cheese than americans and are much healthier than us.

obviously they exercise, but thats just something to think about
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    the french eat 60% more cheese than americans and are much healthier than us.

obviously they exercise, but thats just something to think about

and drink wine...YUM!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Here's the insane amount of cheese I put in my sandwich today:

1 Britannia - Cheese Cube Mirchi Popper- 59 cal 1g Carbs, 5g Fat & 3g Protein
    2 Britannia - Slimz Cheese Slices- 103 cal 3g carbs, 6g Fat & 9g Protein.

When I look at this, it doesn't look so bad right? 162 cals, 4 g Carbs, 11 g fat & 12 g Protein! (And sodium within my limit too)
    Being a vegetarian who hates most of the veggies, I am really short on choices for Protein. Even though I have at least 1 scoop of ON whey protein(24 g) everyday I struggle with my Protein requirement(I do strength training 5-6 days a week) and often overshoot on carbs.

Based on that, it looks like an okay diet decision to me, but Cheese is so demonised - I wonder if it's a healthy choice?

I suppose "insane amount" is relative...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    if you ate nothing but cheese, that wouldn't be very healthy. But cheese as part of a balanced diet that provides your body with all the nutrition it needs without getting too much of any particular nutrient that's harmful in excess, it's very healthy. It has protein and vitamins in it.

Individual foods are not healthy or unhealthy in isolation - you need to look at the whole diet. And as you're vegetarian, if it helps you get enough protein without putting you over your calorie goal, then yes it's healthy.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with cheese unless you eat so much you miss your other nutrients or it takes you over your cals.

That is in no way shape or form an insane amount of cheese.
  • steph6467
    steph6467 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yummm... cheeeese. ;0)

It's bad for the cows but not bad for you in moderation. I wish I could quit it because I think that it's not an ethically produced food, but I haven't been very successful at cheese avoidance for the last two years. Sorry cows.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Cheese is delicious and a good protein source.

Eat away.
  • knittinlady
    knittinlady Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Short answer: No, cheese is not bad for you. :happy:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I routinely eat cheese, I love it!!! I have to weight it out though because 1 oz never seems enough, I usually have 2 oz=240 calories, I work it into my daily calories:)
    Me too, I love cheese, I weigh cheese, I eat cheese. Hasn't affected my weight loss and helps me hit my protein goals. Ditto for ice cream. :drinker:
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Eating your cheese is not unhealthy, trying to eat my cheese may be a different matter.............................
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Cheese should only be consumed by baby cows.:happy:
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Only if you are intolerant or allergic.
  • bluesunset2015
    Options
    I believe nothing is bad with MODERATION :)
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Me too, I love cheese, I weigh cheese, I eat cheese. Hasn't affected my weight loss and helps me hit my protein goals. Ditto for ice cream. :drinker:

This is my answer! :wink: