metformin and no weight lose

Options
i am so fed up of my weight loss journey.I am suffering from PCOS and is on metformin.i have lost my appetite coz of using metformin.mostly, i hardly eat 1000kcals per day (no matter how much i try but i never feel hungry) but still i am not able to lose any weight while i've heard metformin helps you to shed off some lbs :( why is it happening with me???

I am 28yrs old with 134lbs weight and 5'6'' height. and i want to lose abt 10-12lbs :(

Any suggestions ladies??

Replies

• ntatbeeq
    ntatbeeq Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    anyone
  • MsEllaSimone
    MsEllaSimone Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi.

I was diagnosed with PCOS 20 years ago and have always had trouble losing weight. No matter how little you eat the weight still sticks.

I lost 80lbs in a year with metformin (then I got I'll with PTSD and ate my way back to the original weight).
    Metformin is good as it controls the blood sugar spikes and helps hunger and cravings, but to lose weight with PC
  • MsEllaSimone
    Options
    Sorry, hit post by accident:

To lose with PCOS, you really need to eat low carb. I cut out sugar, bread and pasta last time and it really worked wonders. Within 3 months I had lost 30 lbs without trying, but just taking Met while still eating sugar/simple carbs, the effect won't be as strong.

Maybe you need to change your dosage. I'm on 850mg x3 per day
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    i am so fed up of my weight loss journey.I am suffering from PCOS and is on metformin.i have lost my appetite coz of using metformin.mostly, i hardly eat 1000kcals per day (no matter how much i try but i never feel hungry) but still i am not able to lose any weight while i've heard metformin helps you to shed off some lbs :( why is it happening with me???

I am 28yrs old with 134lbs weight and 5'6'' height. and i want to lose abt 10-12lbs :(

Any suggestions ladies??

I don't have any suggestions. 234 at five foot six sounds like a healthy weight, though. 110 -120 for your height sounds too thin.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Sorry, hit post by accident:

To lose with PCOS, you really need to eat low carb. I cut out sugar, bread and pasta last time and it really worked wonders. Within 3 months I had lost 30 lbs without trying, but just taking Met while still eating sugar/simple carbs, the effect won't be as strong.

Well, the reason you lost on low carb is because you ate at a calorie deficit. Lowering carbs is not the magic solution for weight loss.
    Maybe you need to change your dosage. I'm on 850mg x3 per day

No. Maybe she needs to talk to her doctor about changing her dosage.
  • uwjvand555sp
    Options
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE....

NEVER change your dosage without doctors consent. Lower it/ increase it/anything. DON'T.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a question for a doctor.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

Any suggestions ladies??

I was on metformin for 15 years or so for being pre-diabetic. It never helped me to lose weight. As a matter of fact I gained weight in those 15 years, to where I ended up weighing 220 pounds. I am now down 53 pounds and being weened off the metformin by my doctor. I am no longer considered pre-diabetic. Thank goodness!!!

Losing weight is only a POSSIBLE side-affect, not a promise to lose weight. That comes from you.

Now at 28 years of age, 5'6" tall and 134 pounds perhaps your body is where it needs to be. Perhaps what you need is to workout and change the way your body is through toning and firming?

Seek help from your doctor.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

I don't have any suggestions. 234 at five foot six sounds like a healthy weight, though. 110 -120 for your height sounds too thin.

I meant 134.
  • MsEllaSimone
    Options
    SSLrunner,

I wasn't eating at a changed calorie deficit, I just reduced simple carbs and increased protein. I know low carb is not a magic solution, but it helps with insulin resistance which is the thing that stops PCOSers lose weight.

Regarding your aggressive comment about changing doses, I'm from the UK where you can only get Metformin from your doctor. I wasn't suggesting the OP just changed dose of her own volition.

I'd forgotten why I don't come on the boards, but your 'know it all' attitude and aggressive tone has reminded me.