Women over 40

Options
I am finding that weight loss is a totally new ball game in my forties. I have 20 lbs to lose.

Looking for other women to share their tips and strategies. Even though I have been a member for a while, I haven't stayed consistent at tracking and would like some friends to share the journey!

Replies

• wilcope
    wilcope Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Getting older.... ")
  • Bssh
    Bssh Posts: 123
    Options
    I'm 43 and to be very honest, I haven't found it particularly difficult to lose weight. I no longer log on MFP but it's a terrific tool. My tip is to be consistent (stick with it!) and be patient (through the inevitable stalls or slow losses).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'll send you links to a couple of groups you may find helpful. And yes it did get harder.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and don't really notice a big difference. Truely, the key is to be consistent.
  • sylviatx
    sylviatx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    A thought that has helped me a lot: "Every calorie deserves to be delicious. And every calorie burned deserves to be pleasurable." This helps me to concentrate on eating foods I really enjoy eating and not mindless stuff that I don't like that much, it's just there sort of thing. And the exercise - I concentrated more on the things I thought were fun and less on the stuff that felt obligatory.

Of course now I broke my toe a couple weeks ago and all bets are off on the exercise LOL. But in a strange way it motivates me to be more consistent with my food intake because i don't have that cushion of burned calories.

You can do it! Best wishes.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I haven't found it any harder and I am 44 for another 2 weeks. Friends who have been through menopause say its harder though. I guess we will see. I lost 100 pounds in my 20's, got fat, lost again twice in my thirties...here we go again and I am not saying it is a cake walk but it was no easier when I was younger either.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and don't really notice a big difference. Truely, the key is to be consistent.

^^same here.

And accurate with your logging.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I'm 41. My age had no impact on my ability to lose weight.

You've got this OP - just be consistent!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I'm 41. My age had no impact on my ability to lose weight.

You've got this OP - just be consistent!

true, but you're out of warranty now... so if your metabolism breaks you're gonna have an expensive repair bill. :frown:
  • sulyha
    sulyha Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am 45 and the lowest weight now since college. I had my kids in my mid-late 20s and lost all the weight from that fairly easily with exercise but not a lot of attention to dieting. In my 30s I started to put on more and more weight. I would try here and there to lose, but it never stayed off and I would yo-yo up more than down. By 40 I was 185 pounds. At 40 I think my motivation changed. It wasn't just about wanting to look better or fit into certain clothes, or hating my body. I was beginning to feel unhealthy and tired. Wanting to be healthier as I got older became very important. At 41 I started losing weight through diet and exercise and was really motivated by reclaiming my life and health. I have not looked back and have maintained between 130-140 for the past 2-3 years. It has not been that difficult, and I have definitely been more successful losing in my 40s than I was in my 30s, but I think it is because my motivators (health, longevity, strength) are much stronger.
  • stephanieann215
    Options
    I am 41 I too find it hard to lose weight as I get older. No matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to lose that extra baggage. So you are not alone.
  • swissbrit
    Options
    I am 49 and if I log honestly and weigh my food I lose, if I relax then I dont so be honest keep moving and yoou will achieve your goal! Here are 2 good links for working out at home through the winter.
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/
    http://hasfit.com/
  • Helsybels
    Helsybels Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started to really make the effort in April with 20lbs to lose. I have now lost 14 and improved my fitness level too. I log every day and exercise 2-3 times a week. For me being consistent really works and I do think losing has been harder in my forties than it was in my twenties, perhaps its all the other pressures that make the difference though. All the best to you, friend me if you like!
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'll be 42 in a few weeks. Actively "settling in" since mid Sept.
    Please add me.

You have got this Sister. :flowerforyou:
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'll be 42 in a few weeks. Actively "settling in" since mid Sept.
    Please add me.

You have got this Sister. :flowerforyou:

Oh and the 9 lbs has been with 2 and a half weeks off from exercises and my "settling in" period for changing up my routine.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I don't know if everything will magically change in a few months (I'm 39 now), but honestly I've found it easier now than it was when I was younger. In my case, I think it's a matter of honesty and motivation. 20 years ago, I probably would have found a million reasons certain nibbles and treats "didn't count" toward my daily calories and then I'd wonder why I hadn't lost weight, declare myself a special snowflake and quit. At this age, I know it's *me* and not the big bad universe causing my weight loss plan to stall. I'm also okay with sticking to an exercise program even if I have to wait weeks or months to see results. In my twenties, I would have become frustrated within two weeks and quit. Now I can see the big picture and even when my waistline isn't shrinking I remind myself everything I do is making me healthier. As a result, I am entering my forties in better shape than I've ever been in my life. :happy:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and lost 30 lbs 3 years ago to get back to the weight I was at 21. I took up running, got back to cycling and I really can't say that it was any harder than at any other time in my life. Age isn't really a factor. Most of us get heavier as we get older because we eat more and do less so just reverse the process. Your metabolism changes by about -10 calories per decade so it really isn't a factor.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I am 57 and I lost 27lbs in around 9 months and no I did not find it any harder. In fact I found it a lot easier than other times of trying to lose weight throughout my lifetime, due mainly to using MFP, being consistent, weighing EVERYTHING and weightlifting.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    The slower metabolism does mean that a few calories a day have to come off from somewhere, but it's not so bad, imho. Shorter or really petite folks have the same problem :) I think building muscle becomes more important as you age for many reasons, and that pretty much covers it for me. Add in a bit of cardiovascular help (aerobic exercise) and we'll burn the difference in metabolism easily.

I do think the key as one ages is focusing heavily on fitness. You can skate by in your twenties not treating your body so great, but there comes a time when consistent work needs to be put in, imho. For overall health and feeling great!
  • sarwatf
    sarwatf Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Am I allowed to agree with both the OP and the majority ( just ) on here that think its made no difference? I don't especially "need" to lose weight ( nor have i ever been overweight as the medical profession defines it) , but for sure it felt like in my 20s i could "watch" what i ate for a week , and spring back into whatever skinny jeans were being problematic. Now it WOULD take longer than a week if I were to follow the same approach, but I am far more motivated to be healthy now ( mainly because if i now try to survive on the junk food diet of my twenties i feel pretty ill pretty fast so I just don't do it).