Deadlifts and Squats

Options
2»

Replies

• ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I agree with bad form, as well as your grandfather's football injuries resulting in his physical limitations. I've been lifting about a month, and I can tell you that my hips and core feel so much better and stronger! I used to have to go to a chiropractor every few months because of hip issues resulting from my pregnancies, but I haven't felt "off" at all. My chiro used to say exercising would help, but running hurt my hips, as did abdominal exercises, which ended up hurting my hips and lower back. DL and squats have seemed to really help though.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Too many unknown factors in your grandpa's history to put the blame for his injuries on the squat and deadlift. A lot of studies show an improvement in bone density and strength from weightlifting. That is helpful in PREVENTING injuries. Of course proper lifting techniques and programs are the key to staying injury free.
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    *sigh* Dads like to approve/disapprove of their daughter's activities when they are adults BECUASE THEY HAVE NOT YET GIVEN UP CONTROL! I have one of those too, and I'm 37! it's OK, I ignore his advice because I'm well aware it is mostly rubbish.
    Seek advice from people who actually know what they're talking about. No disrespect, but your dad possibly doesn't know....
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Dads mean well and he may honestly believe they are dangerous. Best to educate yourself and if you want to then provide him with the correct info.

http://www.acsm.org/docs/current-comments/safetysquat.pdf

I know there are studies on these exercises but dont have time to find them. Maybe someone else can link them if they have them handy.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny he thinks you'll have the same results/issues. My guess is he just doesn't want you doing those exercises for whatever reasons and trying to scare you out of it. My mom doesn't get it and my dad is quietly proud of me.

And yeah, gramps was prob doing it wrong :glasses:

You kick all the *kitten* with those compounds girl!!! Do eet!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    It was probably the football that messed his knees and hips up. Possibly improper form. Don't forget to throw in weighted hip thrusters in there. That will really get your booty shaped.
  • rbcrawford1
    rbcrawford1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better, my dad had both his knees replaced at 65 after a strenuous regime of....lawyering. There's no telling. Plus, it's safe to assume football was the likely culprit, rather than weightlifting.
  • enkennon
    enkennon Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The key is "ex-football player". He got knocked around.. was probably forced to lift at weights which his body simply could not stand at that point in his career.

If you have a great program like NROLFW where you ease into lifting weight regularly there should not be an issue.

In fact… I started squatting and lunging and my knees have actually strengthened. I am 22 years old so my knees were't that bad to begin with but I had an MCL tear and my knee was never really the same after that injury despite 3x week physical training.

Weight lifting has strengthened my knee and has helped me nurse it back to full capacity. I'd say I started at 50% and now my knee is at 90% if not 95% full functioning.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    The key is "ex-football player". He got knocked around.. was probably forced to lift at weights which his body simply could not stand at that point in his career.

If you have a great program like NROLFW where you ease into lifting weight regularly there should not be an issue.

In fact… I started squatting and lunging and my knees have actually strengthened. I am 22 years old so my knees were't that bad to begin with but I had an MCL tear and my knee was never really the same after that injury despite 3x week physical training.

Weight lifting has strengthened my knee and has helped me nurse it back to full capacity. I'd say I started at 50% and now my knee is at 90% if not 95% full functioning.

I am reminded of two great coaches.

Mark Rippetoe: "[If] you squat wrong it f&cks things up. If you squat correctly, those same f&cked-up things will unf&ck themselves."

and:

Inexperienced Trainee: "Squats hurt my knees"
    Dan John (after being shown a demonstration of aforementioned squat): "Young man, squats don’t hurt your knees; whatever you are doing there hurts your knees"
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    just a tip for DLs--- there are several variations, and some work better for certain people. theres the traditional/conventional DL, sumo DL, romanian DL and straight leg. i struggled with form with traditional DLs until i discovered sumo (works pretty much the same, but its a matter of preference. usually depending on if a person has longer limbs or a longer torso, one will be more comfortable- so form will likely be better)
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Simply climbing stairs can put between 3 and 8 times your body weight directly to your knees .... running up stairs more. Knees are designed to bear a fair bit of weight.

As others have said correct form is the key - done correctly squats will actually strengthen the knees. BUt make sure you dont overdo it too early, maintain good form and listen to your body. Any pain other than just DOMS is not a good sign and you should have your form evaluated and maybe drop the weight a little.