switching to maintaining but reducing body fat?

Options
I've looked and looked and can't find a concrete answer on reducing body fat while maintaining. Can I reduce it at maintenance calories, rather than deficit? I'm 25 132 lbs and 5'5". I don't know my body fat % and really can't afford to have it checked, right now. I don't mind if it's a slow process but I'd like to reduce it and not lose weight. I'm doing 5/3/1 and plan on continuing. I know weightlifting has aided me in lowering it thus far, as well as my deficit. I guess I'm just sick of losing, too. Ive been going for 21 weeks, no breaks. I'm sorry if it has recently come up and my search failed me.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes you can - it's called "recomp". You will find a few threads on it if you search for that term.
    Here's mine for example!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1126552-results-of-a-recomp-after-7-months-stats-overload

You are right it's possible but slow, I'm gaining roughly half a pound of lean mass a month.

Hard to know what you can achieve - everyone is going to be different.

Men have the testosterone advantage. (One up to me)
    You have the age advantage. (One all)
    I'm equally focussed on cardio (Two / one to you)
    A good protein intake helps (Even on that one - three / two)
    A full body, progressive overload weights routine helps (my routine is bit's and pieces due to injuries - four / two to you)
    Newbie gains are possible - depends when you started lifting, I started in 1974 (no score as I don't know how long you have been training).

So there's a challenge for you - can you beat half a pound of lean mass gain monthly? :wink:

The other option is cut/bulk cycles. Worth investigating.
    A diet break can help as well - physically and mentally refreshing.

Hope this ramble helps!
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I prefer eating at maintenance and strength training (body recomp) ... results: see profile picture ...
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Sijomial- Thanks so much for the info. It makes perfect sense. I think it would be worth it for me to slowly up my calories to maintain, then go from there. I've come a long way and I'm halt eith myself. Recomp sounds like fun and if in months down the road, I want to invest in cut/bulk, I can.

Tiger bite- You look amazing!

My original goal when I started mfp was 125 lbs. But this number seems irrelevant now. I'm decently happy with my size, I'm even fitting into clothes I had worn at 125 at my current weight. It just seemed to make sense to me that what I see in the mirror is more important. Plus, I'm very excited to see progress in my weightlifting.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    My original goal when I started mfp was 125 lbs. But this number seems irrelevant now. I'm decently happy with my size, I'm even fitting into clothes I had worn at 125 at my current weight. It just seemed to make sense to me that what I see in the mirror is more important. Plus, I'm very excited to see progress in my weightlifting.

Below is a quote from Steve Troutman, a well respected trainer and nutritional expert and one of out members here. I think it speaks to where you are in a very appropriate way.

"I simply don't think it's worth worrying about what your weight should be. Rather, worry about what your health, functionality, performance, and physique should be. Weight will settle where it needs to be once those things are optimized."