walking with ankle weights

I'm getting different opinions with the use of ankle weights when walking.... so can someone tell me is it ok or not a good idea? THANKS

P.s. also looking for friends with this weight loss journey feel free to add :)

Replies

• spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    I've never heard actual medical advice about this, but I did it for an entire fall/winter/spring (when my pants would cover them). Loved using them, and never had any issues.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    I've also been using them for years without any problems, and I'm 53. But a friend recently said it's supposed to be bad for your feet/ankles. I can see if you're impacting hard when you walk...maybe, but if not, then I don't see the problem. Also it probably depends on the amount of weight. I got some ankle weights where you can gradually add on the metal cylinders as you increase weight. I got up to 5 lbs on each ankle, but it got too annoying going higher than that. And I hardly notice it when I wear them. I just wear them around the house when I'm home, so I'm burning some extra cals & building muscle just doing my daily stuff.

ADDED NOTE: Just did some googling & it looks about 50/50...Mayo & some other sites say it raises chance of injury, LiveStrong & others don't have a problem w/it, but advise limiting the weight to 3 lbs each ankle. I'd say someone could give it a try, but if they start having problems w/soreness, then they should cut back.
  • citygirl04
    citygirl04 Posts: 286 Member
    I used to do it all the time. I wouldn't go for a walk unless I had at least 10 pounds strapped to my arms and legs.
  • citygirl04
    citygirl04 Posts: 286 Member
    If it feels good do it. I'd crank the tunes and go for an hour & a half almost daily and I loved every min of it. :) And that was after my normal workout.