Injured - Lower calf

Options
Hi - have started running about 6 weeks ago and have been building gradually to 5km level. Today I was running in my third 5km race, and about 750 metres from the end I felt a tightening in my lower calf and then two "pings". The pain after I cooled down from running was surprising. I think I have torn the lower calf muscle. I can only hobble on that leg. Since today's a Sunday, off to physio tomorrow. I've been icing and elevating meantime.

Can anyone give me any inspiration - anyone else had these injuries and been able to come back to running? I want to run a half marathon in a year's time. So gutted. Apart from my leg, I've also just had a really crap day. Would normally go for a run when I need to feel better, but of course I can't.

Replies

• RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I've been running for 10 weeks and have done something to my left knee. I'm self imposing a 2 week rest because even walking was becoming difficult until yesterday.

Gonna go gym and use the cross-trainer for another week or so. Hope you get some answers but rest is Definately key for you too.
  • blankney94
    Options
    Good idea imposing a rest - better than being injured and out like me.

My injury is either healing better than expected, or less severe than I first thought. I can walk properly 99% of the time now and am seeing the physio. Can wait to start running again, but good things in time.

Will start hitting the gym I think, and try to find some suitable cardio exercises. Desperately want to keep the current fitness I have built up.