New to jogging/running- questions

Options
Hi all,

So, I recently decided I wanted to give jogging (i dont run, Im too slow) a try after reading some really helpful and encouraging threads on here. My goal was to jog a mile. I know it will be slow since I have a small stride being only 5ft tall.:wink:

On Thursday I hopped on the treadmill and jogged .8 of a mile and walked a bit, then jogged another .3 of a mile at 3.5 mph. Basically a fast walk pace that I could alternate between a slow jog and fast walk.

I skipped Friday.

Saturday (yesterday) I went and decided that I WAS going to jog a mile even if it killed me (but I was feeling pretty confident) .I ended up jogging 1.6 miles with varying speeds of 3.5mph- 5.0mph (ran at 5.0 for 2 minutes before slowing to 4.0mph).

So, I want to get back to the gym today and my goal is to jog at least 2 miles.....but I'm slightly hesitant that maybe I'm going to fast to soon with pushing for distance???
I have a history of asthma but I have been feeling really good- no tightness in chest or wheezing.

Am I going to fast? If I feel ok, should I keep up this pace of increasing my distance EACH time I go?

Please help!

Replies

• TpocketT60
    TpocketT60 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    While I did not do it myself, I believe you sound like a good candidate for that Couch to 5k (C25k is how everyone refers to it around here) program. It helps structure your run training to get you to the point, eventually, where you could run a 5k (about 3.1 miles).

Personally I say keep increasing it if its currently not too stressful, but expect those bumps to get smaller and smaller soon. When you are new to something its hard to pick the correct starting point, so maybe your first day was a little too easy for your actual current fitness level.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I started running/jogging (I'm a very slow runner... Between 4mph-5mph on a good day) and I started by using the Couch to 5K program. It's free, you can look up the schedule online. I found that the intervals were perfect for me to get started, I avoided injury, and fast forward to a few years after I started it - I completed my first full marathon this past January. I've still got a ways to go until I'm at my goal weight.

Best of luck! Cute dogs in your pic :) My pit bull is my running partner!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    C25K was great for me, too. It started a new hobby for me. If you have a smart phone you can get an app that will come through your headphones and instruct you on when to walk and when to run, etc.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    +1 for C25K

ps: congrats on the running!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I would do a different exercise in addition to running/jogging and alternate days between exercises. Make sure you stretch and strengthen your other muscles. I didn't when I started and ended up with knee pain.
    Suggestions: cycling, swimming, and squats and lunges.
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    +1 for C25K

ps: congrats on the running!

Thank you :)
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

So, I recently decided I wanted to give jogging (i dont run, Im too slow) a try after reading some really helpful and encouraging threads on here. My goal was to jog a mile. I know it will be slow since I have a small stride being only 5ft tall.:wink:

On Thursday I hopped on the treadmill and jogged .8 of a mile and walked a bit, then jogged another .3 of a mile at 3.5 mph. Basically a fast walk pace that I could alternate between a slow jog and fast walk.

I skipped Friday.

Saturday (yesterday) I went and decided that I WAS going to jog a mile even if it killed me (but I was feeling pretty confident) .I ended up jogging 1.6 miles with varying speeds of 3.5mph- 5.0mph (ran at 5.0 for 2 minutes before slowing to 4.0mph).

So, I want to get back to the gym today and my goal is to jog at least 2 miles.....but I'm slightly hesitant that maybe I'm going to fast to soon with pushing for distance???
    I have a history of asthma but I have been feeling really good- no tightness in chest or wheezing.

Am I going to fast? If I feel ok, should I keep up this pace of increasing my distance EACH time I go?

Please help!

Going from no running to a mile or 2 miles is recipe for injury. You need to really ease into it. Try a couch to 5k type app. Outside running is much more like a race and harder than treadmill so I suggest outdoor running.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Btw, don't use the word "jogging" runners don't like that word!! A 5 minute mile is the same distance as a 15 minute mile! Don't belittle your self, if you run 2 feet your are a runner! Feel free to friend me, I started running 1/4 mile at a time a lite over a year ago and I have completed 2 half marathons since then! But when you are starting out, try c25k it really works and helps your tendons and ligaments get used to the stress of running!
  • ElizabethIrish
    ElizabethIrish Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with running slow when starting out. Slow jogging with intermittent walking is a good way to increase your cardiovascular strength without overly taxing your body. The trick is - as time goes by - to not be a slacker. I have a tendency to be a slacker. I will run daily, feel oh so good about myself but not really push myself much. The key is to push yourself some, but not too much so you get injured or discouraged. Its a fine line.

Personally I found I wan't making much progress until I added circuit weight training to my routine. I enjoy it and quickly see results in the form of getting stronger and seeing that I can use higher and higher weights. Increasing muscle strength is key to reducing fat which is a perfect add on to cardio workouts.
  • slightlymad13
    Options
    I started running/jogging by using this amazing book called 'Run Your Butt Off', which focuses on the time you run rather than the distance you're covering and builds you up slowly so you don't injure yourself or get put off if you can't do it straight way. 100% recommend that book!! Really inspirational as well as great advice :-)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I was a runner. But sometimes (a great deal right now as it happens) I jog. And I don't mind saying it, because it's true! :happy:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with running slow when starting out. Slow jogging with intermittent walking is a good way to increase your cardiovascular strength without overly taxing your body. The trick is - as time goes by - to not be a slacker. I have a tendency to be a slacker. I will run daily, feel oh so good about myself but not really push myself much. The key is to push yourself some, but not too much so you get injured or discouraged. Its a fine line.

Personally I found I wan't making much progress until I added circuit weight training to my routine. I enjoy it and quickly see results in the form of getting stronger and seeing that I can use higher and higher weights. Increasing muscle strength is key to reducing fat which is a perfect add on to cardio workouts.

This is good advice. A heart rate monitor is (I think) an essential tool to make sure you are taking it easy enough on your easy days, and going hard enough on your hard days.

ETA: If you are a beginning runner and run less than 20 miles/week, you should always aim to be in your aerobic zone in order to progress safely and efficiently. Some days that zone 'feels' easy, and some days it 'feels' hard.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Btw, don't use the word "jogging" runners don't like that word!! A 5 minute mile is the same distance as a 15 minute mile! Don't belittle your self, if you run 2 feet your are a runner! Feel free to friend me, I started running 1/4 mile at a time a lite over a year ago and I have completed 2 half marathons since then! But when you are starting out, try c25k it really works and helps your tendons and ligaments get used to the stress of running!
    ^^^^THIS!! A mile is mile, and I am a big fan of the walk/run programs like C25k, and B210k. I just ran my first half marathon yesterday, and I used interval runs to train. C25k is where I started. You can add me too if you like. Best of luck!

THIS. If anyone called me a jogger, I'd cut them.
    Do C25k. You sound like you have caught the running bug. Don't be a jogger.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

There is a lot of benefit in some form of structured increase, as that helps avoid overextending yourself and puts some reasonable challenge on you to avoid undercooking. You can either do that with distance or time, Personally I would suggest time, rather than distance as a lot of the CV benefit that you get is driven by how long you run for, rather than how far you run. Of course the two are intimately related. AS others have suggested some form of Cto5K might be what you need. There are apps or podcasts that will help with that, and they avoid the risk of overuse injury.

All the best with it
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I started running about 2.5 years ago in a similar fashion. I was (what I considered slow, but found out was much quicker than many my age) focused on getting to a 5k. Period. I ran a marathon on 10/27.

I started out by going to a nearby trail, running like someone was chasing me, until I couldn't go another step. That distance (turned out to be just over a mile) became my standard. I kept running that distance, and then walking back for about a week or 10 days. Then, I added some distance. I kept that up until I could cover the 5k. Entered a race at my alma mater (Kent State) and placed 2nd in my age group (40-44). The hook was set and I kept pushing my goals further. Learned techniques and strategies to improve my racing and training. Found training plans that got me to the next level. Learned the importance of stretching, the beauty of icing, and the joy of compression sleeves. Realized this is an opportunity not only to improve my health, but also to LEARN new stuff!

Have fun. Don't worry about speed right now. Just cover the distance you want and then work on getting faster. You'll be addicted in no time! Welcome to the club!! :-)
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Btw, don't use the word "jogging" runners don't like that word!! A 5 minute mile is the same distance as a 15 minute mile! Don't belittle your self, if you run 2 feet your are a runner!
    Use whatever word you like. It's your body and your exercise. Your power to perform comes from within.

I am a JOGGER. I started with C25K and now I regularly JOG 6-7 miles a couple times a week and occasionally go 12-13. If the elitist running clubs don't like what I'm doing, they can go eff themselves.
  • pittbullgirl
    Options

haha, got it! I guess im a runner?? Wow, that feels odd to type!
    Will send a FR. :D
  • pittbullgirl
    Options
    Update: Thank you all SO much for the words of advice and encouragement! :happy:
    I did end up running at 4.0mph today for 2 miles in 30 minutes. First miles was 14min50sec.

I dont think I will push as hard or as fast as I have, despite feeling ok. I definitely don't want to set myself back. I am going to aim for a mile each time I go and then walk another mile or two.
  • Lorelai23
    Lorelai23 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is great inspiration. I've always wanted to be a runner. I have asthma so it has been a real challenge. I love reading these threads!