1 calorie oil

Options
Hello,
I was thinking about trying these kinds of products out (such as FryLight or similar) but I can't seem to find them here in Italy so I would like to know more opinions about them, especially if it's worth buying them online or not. I usually put a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in my salad or a teaspoon in my tomato sauce to go with a cup of fiber pasta. Do you think it might be useful? And does it taste nice?

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    IF it's anything like the oil they used to use for diet potato chips I wouldn't really try it. It made me go to the bathroom in ways not describable on MFP. I hope you can just make room for regular oil like olive oil is divine and I use it in my food and there's room for it in my daily cals.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Sorry I just have to say, if you are lucky enough to be in italy and have access to extra virgin olive oil from there PLEASE make room in your diet for it. Do it for Johnny!
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    IF it's anything like the oil they used to use for diet potato chips I wouldn't really try it. It made me go to the bathroom in ways not describable on MFP. I hope you can just make room for regular oil like olive oil is divine and I use it in my food and there's room for it in my daily cals.

Diet chips are usually not fried (or at least the ones I've tried out... they were just baked in the oven). So I guess that some ingredients messed up with your stomach :/ and yeah you're right. Olive oil can be great here but the bottles from the grocery aren't anything special to be honest. :P
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Stick to the evoo. If you're worried about calories buy an olive oil sprayer on amazon or some place.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Diet chips are usually not fried (or at least the ones I've tried out... they were just baked in the oven). So I guess that some ingredients messed up with your stomach :/ and yeah you're right. Olive oil can be great here but the bottles from the grocery aren't anything special to be honest. :P

You're right about the current ones, however in the past there were some diet chips that are no longer on the market. They were fried in some oil called like Oleo or something I forget. You had to run to the bathroom, and a lot of times. That's why they are no longer on the market. Thats also why I am suspicious of diet oil now.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Stick to the evoo. If you're worried about calories buy an olive oil sprayer on amazon or some place.

also i have a rubber brush that I can brush it on with so it doesnt' use too much and spreads all over a veggie or whatever.

for pasta a very small amount will spread far if stirred while hot. for potatoes I pour about a teaspoon in my hand and rub on the outsides of about 5 potatoes before salt and peppering them. it doesn't take much to get that roasted crispy coating on them and the taste is worth those few cals IMO.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

You're right about the current ones, however in the past there were some diet chips that are no longer on the market. They were fried in some oil called like Oleo or something I forget. You had to run to the bathroom, and a lot of times. That's why they are no longer on the market. Thats also why I am suspicious of diet oil now.

Olestra? YUCK. Totally agree. If you are in Italy, you can have the very best EVOO. Make the room. I also like the idea of the olive oil sprayer. Better control when using on food.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I've read that those low calories oil are basically emulsions of 50% oil spread in water. They also contain soy lecithin and alchool (as preservative, I wonder which alchool do they use anyway), so I could always buy a sprayer, mix half oil and half water and that would be the same. Wouldn't know how to count calories then but maybe I could work it out.

Thanks everyone!! :):)
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I've read that those low calories oil are basically emulsions of 50% oil spread in water. They also contain soy lecithin and alchool (as preservative, I wonder which alchool do they use anyway), so I could always buy a sprayer, mix half oil and half water and that would be the same. Wouldn't know how to count calories then but maybe I could work it out.

Thanks everyone!! :):)

Hopefully the sprayer you buy would give you a good estimate of how many sprays to the bottle. Then it's just a matter of measuring the oil and dividing by the number of sprays. Water has none - so that's all good.