Best time to weigh for a true figure?

Options
Hi,

I am wondering when is the best time to weigh? I've read conflicting times from different sources. I find my weight can fluctuate between 1.5 to 2.5lb throughout the day.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    To get a true figure of your actual body weight you'd need to be completely empty of all waste and excess fluids. Not likely to happen at any time so just pick a time and day that you want to weigh and track the trend.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    What you're experiencing is normal. Weight naturally fluctuates.

I weight in the morning when I get up and while I am in my birthday suit. No other time. I weigh each day now because my deficit is so low.
  • rick30316
    rick30316 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In the morning, after shower, before breakfast, with empty bladder and bowels.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    as long as you have some consistancy in when you weight yourself, you'll be fine. Like most posters here, i weigh myself in the AM after bathroom, before shower, in my PJs (wear the same type every day), barefoot.
  • Coach_T
    Coach_T Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    first thing in the morning when you wake up.
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Every Sunday morning when I get up - after loo, before shower, no clothes on.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter that much as long as it's the same time and same circumstances every day, but it's more likely to happen in the morning after you get up and pee... otherwise what you had to eat and drink will make a difference from day to day.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Probably the math nerd in me, but I like to weigh in daily and then plug the results into a chart that tracks progress over time and then provides the moving average over a 7 day, 10 day, 30 day, etc time period.

That method ends up giving a more accurate read on the overall downward trend without getting caught up in the inevitable, and totally natural, ebbs and flows of daily up and down weight fluctuations. Really helpful to get out of the mind frame of being freaked out about any temporary daily gains as long as the overall trend is heading in the proper downward direction.

There are a number of tools out there, but I like the following:

http://yadt.iotide.com/

and

http://www.weightchart.com/weight-chart.aspx

graph-help-1.png
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I weigh twice a week (Sundays and Wednesdays) at the same time right away in the morning, after going potty and with no clothes on. I've found weighing every day to be useless because weight fluctuates too much and I get too frustrated with minor gains, but if I only weigh once per week, I can get in the mindset that I can eat whatever I want as long as I do better and lose a little by weigh-in day. Twice per week keeps me on my toes but doesn't frustrate me.
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    After a curry and a few beers.