Starting out

Options
Before doing MFP I used to follow weightwatchers and always found it easy to plan my meals and work out what I would eat but now I am struggling with calorie counting. So I was wondering how people choose to split up their calories for the day. Do you assign a certain amount to each meal or do you go with the flow? What sort of meals do you eat? What is good in terms of what you get for your calories? I'm a beginner looking for some advice please.

Sarah.

Replies

• piquantpi
    Options
    I prefer a big dinner and some ice cream afterward so I always try to keep my breakfast, lunch, and mid-day snacks light. I think it helps to identify where you already tend to spend the most of your calories and gear your day around that at first. I know it would be better for me long term to do a bigger lunch and a smaller dinner, but I'm just not ready for that transition right now.
  • bethiewilliams
    Options
    I like to stick to oats so simple for breakfast, 220 cals, soup and fruit for lunch, 300 cals then something like poached eggs on grilled potabello mushrooms and a couple of turkey rashers or chicken thighs slow roasted, skin and bone on but removed before eating, or turkey meatballs,I then have a yoghurt (activia) and a cookie with a milky coffee before bed.... Yum. All under 1300 cals. If I swim I have an extra cookie or higher calorie dinner. Hope that helps. I find knowing I have a cookie to look forward helps me not pick earlier in the day ☺
  • BlueEyedRebecca
    Options
    I'm not real good at logging like I should be. And I just started trying again. I tend to put in what I want to eat before the day starts (specifically what I want for dinner, which tends to be the biggest) and pick what I need to fit the remaining calories.

I try to keep breakfast around 300 calories or below. Usually an egg and toast. Oatmeal is good, too.

I really like tuna for lunch because of the calorie count.
  • hddeuce1966
    Options
    I try to plan for a few extra calories at the end of the day for a sweet treat. If I see I'm over I go to the gym. I gotta have my treats.
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I like to have a 400-500 calorie breakfast for an early metabolism/pre workout boost and then break up the rest of my day into small 200-300 cal meals to keep my blood sugar and appetite steady.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You will see that everyone does it slightly differently and that the common key for those that are successful is that they simply stick with a calorie deficit. Find what works for you, and you don't have to do it exactly the same every day. Just hit your calories. I've had days where I skip breakfast and eat more later and then days where I have a huge breakfast and eat less during the day.
  • BokBagok
    BokBagok Posts: 345
    Options
    I'm not a real breakfast person - in fact I used to skip it entirely (of course I used to snack throughout the day and eat monster meals too). Now that I'm actually trying though, I go for a light breakfast, then split the difference between lunch and dinner, with maybe an apple and/or banana in there somewhere. And I try real hard not to go nuts at lunch, because then I'll be screwed for dinner.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Such awesome responses on this thread:). All of them.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I like to eat more early in the day and have lighter meals later. I don't really have a strict schedule for when I eat x number of calories and I don't think it matters as far as weight loss goes, but I am cranky in the morning if I don't eat enough and if I eat too much too late then I don't sleep well. It really is whatever works best for you.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals out ahead of time. Shoot for higher in protein vs carbs, as protein will keep you full longer. A good goal to have is 1/2 your body weight in grams for protein. Two or three hard boiled eggs for breakfast is about 210 calories & will keep you full, if not add some turkey sausage links (3 for 100 calories). Drinking more than 1/2 your body weight in oz for water will also keep you full. I started out jumping in cold turkey drinking 20 cups of water a day, and now my body craves that much water daily. Shoot for at least one salad a day (about <300 calories/day). Lean Cuisine has some nice entrees to get you started & can be on sale for about $2/each. I get the salad addition ones & add 6 cups of lettuce to leave me feeling stuffed.

The greater the deficiency, the greater the loss, quicker. Do not eat back all your workout calories.

Add me if you'd like. :)
  • looopylooo
    Options
    Hi TFGF,
    I find at the mo that if I pre-plan what I will eat (not so easy when rushing about!) that I will try to stick to that. On days like yesterday when I was really hungry I added more food - a slice of wheat/yeast free bread and a big mug of low cal options ( the options is pure junk,but works as a treat for me;)
    It does require time and a little pre planning, but I have promised myself it is only for 30 days (as it's supposed to take 28 days of momentum for new habits to be formed) So I am hoping that after that eating better will be come as second nature after a wee commitment (until next time life & eating gets chaotic;)

Thanks for putting this post out - it has produced really interesting responses and inspiration!
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    In my last full day I had 300 calories for breakfast, 200 calories morning snack, 350 calories for lunch, 200 calories afternoon tea, 400 calories for dinner and 150 calories dessert, which in total was around 1600 calories, which after taking out my exercise calories was just under 1400 calories.

I usually don't have a morning snack, usually I just have a cup of tea, and then I might have 500 calories for dinner.

For example the day before, in the same order as above was 300, 15, 450, 200, 500, 300. And then I went to the gym, so even though I ate over 1700 calories I came in just under 1400 calories.

Though truth be told, I should have had only 150 calories for dessert, but I had one serving of ice cream left, and I just decided I HAD to have it that day, and now it is gone and can't tempt me.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I work nights. I eat most of my meals there so I pre-log everything I'm going to take. That leaves me with 700 calories or so for supper plus my exercise calories.