tall girl problems

Options
2»

Replies

• willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Hey - do you all play basketball????? JK. I'm 5'11" and just like reading all the tall girl stuff. I joke that I'd be Trumping if I had a dollar for everytime some stranger has looked me up and down and asked me if I play(ed) basketball.

Lol! At 6'2", I'd be rich if I even had a NICKEL for every time someone's asked me that. I was a *kitten* in middle school (been this height since age 12) and used to reply with "NO... do you play miniature golf?" when asked that.

I'm from NY and went to Tennessee once with a friend's family when I was 15 and I don't know if it was a Tennessee thing, or if I just looked taller at that time, but I swear every single old lady, soccer mom, creepy guy, and small child had to make a comment how "it must sure be nice to be real nice and tall like that"..... :noway:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Yeah, BMI isn't perfect by any means. I was way over mine when I was an athlete in high school and uni but because I knew I was in great shape it didn't really bother me. Still, sometimes it makes a positive mental difference just to see that you're within the healthy range instead of overweight. Or that you're closer. I know it does for me!

http://people.maths.ox.ac.uk/trefethen/bmi_calc.html

That revised calculator provides a range of 152-205 for OP's height of 6'2. So the height adjustment adds an extra 10 lbs on the high end.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I would love to answer in this thread but I can't even hear what's going on from way down here. #shortgirlproblems
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Hey - do you all play basketball????? JK. I'm 5'11" and just like reading all the tall girl stuff. I joke that I'd be Trumping if I had a dollar for everytime some stranger has looked me up and down and asked me if I play(ed) basketball.

Lol! At 6'2", I'd be rich if I even had a NICKEL for every time someone's asked me that. I was a *kitten* in middle school (been this height since age 12) and used to reply with "NO... do you play miniature golf?" when asked that.

I'm from NY and went to Tennessee once with a friend's family when I was 15 and I don't know if it was a Tennessee thing, or if I just looked taller at that time, but I swear every single old lady, soccer mom, creepy guy, and small child had to make a comment how "it must sure be nice to be real nice and tall like that"..... :noway:

5'11"? 6'2"? Hell, I'm 5'9" and got asked all the time if I played basketball (to be fair, in jr/sr high school, I actually did, but that's beside the point).

OP - don't worry about the number on the scale so much, besides as a way to calculate body fat and one of many data points for progress to being healthier. Don't worry too much about clothing sizes, either. They have pretty much no basis in reality (fun fact - they tried to size women's clothes similarly to men's, but found there were far too many variables to result in any kind of sane description of the measurements).

Instead, look at other things -

Is your body fat percentage in a healthy range? (It's okay if it's not there yet, that's what many of us are working toward.)
    Do you do well at your favorite physical activity, and are you improving? (ie - are your running times getting faster, or are you running farther? Is your bench press 1-rep max higher than it was last month, and is it a respectable weight for your size? Can you do a pull-up, or more than one? Can you take the stairs two at a time?)
    Can you do physical things like moving furniture without requiring help because it's too heavy? (Too bulky for one person is a different matter and doesn't count.)
    Can you rock a sexy outfit and be confident in it?
    Do you like how you look, even in your underwear? (Or, do you at least like how you're progressing toward your goal physique, even if you're not fond of how you look currently?)

Another thing you can do is figure out what your individual ideal weight would be. You can do this by calculating your current body fat percentage, then calculating what your weight would be if you had about 20% body fat. Then, it's a matter of reprogramming your reaction to that number, and remembering that, for you, that's a good number, even if that number on your 5'3" friend would be morbidly obese. You're not 5'3". The weight of your bones alone would probably make your 5'3" friend obese. :tongue: That way, you can at least work to change your relationship with then number on the scale, so that you can look at it and see it more as a data point or a path to your healthy weight, regardless of what that number is.