Multiple Sclerosis and Exercise

Options
Hey everyone. I was diagnosed earlier this year with multiple sclerosis. I started exercising and using MFP a week ago, and this weekend had proved to be very tough for me because my muscles are hurting a lot more than usually during the week.

I wanted to know if anyone else out there has MS, and what do you do to exercise with it?

Replies

• glades250
    Options
    well bro its like this... I was diagnosed in 2000. That diagnosis was the best they could come up with. Everything fit but the spinal tap results which is the most important test for the diagnosis. When I went down I went down hard where my entire body shut down and I could not walk, talk or even stay awake. After being treated and several months of recovery I have not had an exacerbation since then. I live life as if they were wrong which to be honest I think my psycho X poisoned me. Ironically five years later her sister did the same thing. Go figure.

I have permanent damage from the attack and my muscles hurt all the time especially after a workout. I say screw it and work through it and I pray you are as fortunate as I was or have been so far!!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    My wife has MS. She does strength training primarily. The neuromuscular adaptation element is beneficial for retraining neural pathways and minimize loss of functionality. Her neurologist is extremely in favor of her workout routine.
  • Shannmfp11
    Shannmfp11 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with MS in 2008. I mainly use the elliptical. It is low impact and I don't feel exhausted after using it!!! I hope you have found something that works for you!
  • jeannetter25
    jeannetter25 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was just recently diagnosed with MS, and started taking Tecfidera which has a side effect of weight gain. My legs constantly hurt, but I'm going to give the gym a try and hope for the best! Good Luck to you and your journey :)
  • kr1ssy23
    kr1ssy23 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed in Dec 2013. Im starting Tecfidera on Monday. Im not exercising at this time but Im starting to watch my diet so I came back to MFP. When the weather gets nicer, Im gonna start walking again. Its a start.
  • LauraBee121
    LauraBee121 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I started off really slowly with walk, jog, walk... I built it up until I was able to run 12k. I then rejoined my old gym. I worried about this because I used to work there 2 years ago and didn't want people there to question either my hideous weight gain or the decline in my ability. I told the people that mattered and didn't worry about those that didn't. I went slow but steady for first couple of months but built up to being able to do 5 spin classes a week and between 2-5k rowing on those days as well as two days of strength. When things flare up I ease off and listen to my body. just had 12 days off with a relapse but determined to get back in there as soon as possible. I do hurt more than expected for long time after strength hence why I only do it twice week, as soon as I'm not hurting it's time for next session lol
    Good luck with your fitness, diet and health guys :)
  • gillila
    gillila Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in 2011 - my primary physical issue is random weakness in my legs. I've just started back on MFP - it keeps me honest and active. A lot of things that i read talk about exacerbations caused by overheating so i'm a little nervous about working out. I've recently started a routine (that i've actually stuck with for two weeks) - Eliptical and a little strength training in the mornings and walking at lunch. So far, so good. I think this is such a strange disease, different things work for different people and we must search to find our personal diet and exercise plans.

Good luck to all as you pursue fitness.