How do you handle nonsupporters?

Options
2»

Replies

• lilkayaker
    lilkayaker Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You can easily confront these people without a confrontation and possibly open a dialogue. Just look them straight in the eye and say "I happen to like this food and am not asking you to try or buy it"! Not in a nasty tone just definitive. I agree with an earlier poster that it is their way deflecting their own lack of follow through or health. I get slack about my food choices at work (and those people are family) I just tell them that luckily I didn't make enough to share and have even gotten them to try new things....some they like some the don't. You can believe tho they will then get the same treatment when the walk in with fast food or something I don't care for ( extra dramatically too) just to prove my point!
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    The world is full of hurting people. Don't let them bring you down. Just smile at them, be kind to everyone and do what you know is best for you.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    When someone says my food is gross, I start chewing with my mouth open and make sure some of it falls on the table. Learned that from my dad. We used that when i was a kid, to gross my mom out of eating, so we could eat her dessert too.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    No one questions me about food, especially after I just gutted it.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I don't really expect cashiers to be supportive, lol. If they want to give a running commentary of what they like and don't like, that's fine by me. They really do like to do that sometimes. It sounds like a boring job ;) She was probably just making conversation.

The aunt probably was, too, but it sounds like she did it rudely, because you were trying to eat at the time. I usually say, "Well thanks for that" with an impatient but not pi$$ed look and they get the message. Or 'I'd like to eat without hearing so much about my food now, OK?', etc. All good-naturedly. Cottage cheese is not everyone's favorite, at all ;)

I don't think everyone is insecure about themselves around dieters. I think people like talking about their opinions... on everything!

Try eating escargots in front of people. Yeah, that always goes well :D Even buying it always gets a few comments!