Cheat?

Options
I'm on a roll! For nearly the last two weeks I have eaten clean and I'm losing weight again. Yay!! However, I was reading about having a cheat meal once a week and I am wondering if you do this and/or what your experience with it is. Honestly, I'm afraid to do it because I've been doing so well, and I'm worried it might start a chain-reaction and get me going in the wrong direction again. Anyone have any thoughts?

Replies

• phostose
    Options
    I try to have a cheat day around once a once every other month, I just find that that works for me.
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this myself...because once I eat a meal off plan..I am doomed.

Bump...to follow.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Not doing it right now since not dieting that hard. But last cut i cheated once a week, involving carbs after a heavy workout
  • SheridanLT
    SheridanLT Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yes...I do have a cheat day about once a month. I usually plan them with an outing or party.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've only done it when I was REALLY craving something I could not fit in my daily calories. And even then, it was just a cheat meal, and I was good the rest of the day to make up for it. I actually only went way over my calories once in 10 months because of it. Can't say I've noticed any difference from it (I was probably 500-600 calories over my TDEE that day). I gained some water weight but lost it and half a lb more in 3 days, but I haven't lost much since in the last month, so clearly it hasn't boosted my metabolism or anything.

So I think it's fine once in a while if you really crave something specific that has a lot of calories (or for the Holidays). I don't really see the point of having a cheat meal just for the heck of it though. You can fit most of the things you crave in your daily calories without needing a cheat meal as long as you're careful.

But my advice - make sure it's something that's worth it!! Don't waste it on average food.
  • LauraBalyk
    LauraBalyk Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am allowed one cheat meal per week, it could be an actual meal or it could just be a bag of chips, regardless of the choice it is just ONCE a week. Some weeks I find I don't want one though, so I just have a cheat if I really want it. I am not going to deprive myself of something I really want, the key is moderation, if I want ice cream, I will have it, just a small bowl or a few spoon fulls, not half the container lol
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    The first few weeks I tracked daily, but for a while now I've only been tracking during the week. I've found that I don't actually binge on the weekends, but it's nice to have a break from tracking. I probably eat about my maintenance calories on the weekend. If I'm craving something, I eat it. I don't see it as cheating. This is the third time I've gone through this, and the first time I've approached it so non obsessively.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm on a roll! For nearly the last two weeks I have eaten clean and I'm losing weight again. Yay!! However, I was reading about having a cheat meal once a week and I am wondering if you do this and/or what your experience with it is. Honestly, I'm afraid to do it because I've been doing so well, and I'm worried it might start a chain-reaction and get me going in the wrong direction again. Anyone have any thoughts?

As long as you don't go over your calories, a "cheat" is fine. That said, if you are worried about it then don't do it. You don't have to do anything... just do what works for you. If you find later on down the road in order to make your "diet" more sustainable and enjoyable that adding a cheat helps you then have at it. If what you are doing is working then don't change a thing. When you plateau, which you will because we all do, re-evaluate and make any adjustments you need to. Listen to your body and enjoy the ride.
  • jbpretty
    jbpretty Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts. I like the"if it's not broke, don't fix it" idea. So I guess as long as this is working I will stick with it. Plus, when I do decide to cheat, I will make sure it's with something great! :) Now I do understand that it should just be one thing or one meal. I could easily polish off 3000 calories a day by bingeing... Then my hard work would have been for not. I don't think I like that idea. Thanks again!