Gained on my rest day!

Options
I've been eating healthy and working out 2 hours everyday for the past 2 months now and I thought I would experiment and have a rest day guess what after one rest day I have gained 1kg and it's of fat I feel sick in the head! Guess this goes to show I can never have a rest day just be sore everyday I feel so guilty and like all my hard work hasn't paid off!

Replies

• TheFangsKittie
    TheFangsKittie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    All fat? ... not water? Give yourself a break...
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Rest is essential for you. I don't think it was the break in exercise. Could it have something to do with the binge on said rest day that truly worries you? Take a deep breath, relax, and move on. I doubt you gained all of that in one day, seems impossible. Water retention and daily flux can also factor. I go up to 5lbs in a day, sometimes.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I seriously doubt it was all fat..that just sounds nuts! As I've just read your other post from this morning, and the chances are very slim that one large meal made you gain that much, or one day of rest made you gain.it's most likely water retention and is no big deal at all.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've been eating healthy and working out 2 hours everyday for the past 2 months now and I thought I would experiment and have a rest day guess what after one rest day I have gained 1kg and it's of fat I feel sick in the head! Guess this goes to show I can never have a rest day just be sore everyday I feel so guilty and like all my hard work hasn't paid off!
    How do you know you gained 1kg in a day of pure fat? Did you overeat by 7,700 calories in one day?
    Seriously though. You did not gain 2lbs in one day. You're retaining water, or something...You NEED rest days. And you need some perspective.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Right... You put on an entire kilogram of fat in one day. Your body magically found 7000 calories above and beyond what it needed and your liver was able to process all of it into fat in less than 24 hours... Sure... Because water retention wouldn't make sense at all, right?
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I'm beginning to think this guy either needs serious help or is mocking some of the panickers that post on here..
  • almostanangel21
    almostanangel21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You think you gained 2 pounds of fat overnight, you feel guilty for not working out for one day after going overboard for months, and you think all your hard work has been negated? This is really, really worrisome. If you really do feel like you might be 'sick in the head', please make an appointment to see your doctor. They can help with perspective and maybe recommend a counselor if you feel like you might need it.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    Honestly, I'm not trying to be mean at all, but if your so worried over little things like a big meal, and a couple pounds then you should probably just stop right now and go seek help.
  • JackRCarey
    Options
    I just feel like seeing the scales go up means I can't have rest days
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Jack,

You are being really hard on yourself. You don't gain weight from a rest day. I generally do some exercise each day, but sometimes I skip a weekend day and I don't gain weight. Sometimes I go over my calorie limit and I don't gain weight either.

3,500 calories equals one pound of fat.

If you eat 875 calories over your TDEE in one day, you might gain a quarter of a pound.

If you eat 1,750 calories over your TDEE in one day, you might gain a half of a pound.

If you eat 3,500 calories over your TDEE in one day, you might gain a whole pound.

You would have had to have eaten 7,000 calories over your TDEE in one day to gain 2 pounds.

Considering your a guy and your TDEE is probably somewhere around 2,200 or thereabouts, do you think not exercising caused you to really gain weight? Did you go over your calorie goal and eat that much more than your maintenance calories?

The big secret? Weight fluctuates from day to day depending on any number of factors. Unless you ate way over your TDEE, you 1k (or whatever it was) was a natural occurrence and nothing to worry about. :smile:
  • angelzprophecy
    Options

how do you know its fat? did you get a body comp test before and after said rest day?
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    Again I'm not trying to be mean or funny, I'm old enough to be your mother so don't have time to set out to hurt people, but rest is so important!! You need rest days!! Drink some water, rest up and those couple pounds will go away.but you can't get worked up over tiny things cuz it happens!! You can actually do more damage then good by over doing it
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'd say OP has a bodyfat scale, hence the 'I've gained 1kg of fat'. Those things are seriously flawed. If you're well hydrated they show a completely different result to the one you would see if you were dehydrated. I would say your 'gain' has been water, or normal fluctuations that most people get - my weight fluctuates over 2kg during the week. Or you might have had a high sodium meal the day before which leads to water retention.

OP, you might benefit from popping those scales in the bin and buying some which just weigh you. Or put them away for a while and just focus on getting some balance in your life.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options

The body can retain water when it is resting and repairing. Very common.

Still not sure if you are being serious.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    I'd say OP has a bodyfat scale, hence the 'I've gained 1kg of fat'. Those things are seriously flawed. If you're well hydrated they show a completely different result to the one you would see if you were dehydrated. I would say your 'gain' has been water, or normal fluctuations that most people get - my weight fluctuates over 2kg during the week. Or you might have had a high sodium meal the day before which leads to water retention.

OP, you might benefit from popping those scales in the bin and buying some which just weigh you. Or put them away for a while and just focus on getting some balance in your life.

Exactly!! If your using a scale that shows your body fat, just know they are not accurate at all.mine shows a different number each time I step on it.it's really no big deal at all!
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Water and poop.

Relax! In a day or two, I'm sure your weight will go back down. Thankfully, someone who commented before me has already done the math. :)
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options

This is why you shouldn't weigh yourself daily. You can do everything right and gain a pound just because you had something with some salt in it. Also, when you work out hard, your body retains water to heal the muscles. Heck, you just might have to have a BM for heaven's sake!

Weight will fluctuate up and down, as long as its generally on a downward trend over the long haul you are fine.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Oh, lord. Exactly. I can drink a cup of water and make the fat change.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    1.) two hours of exercise every single day is excessive. You are not giving your body time to repair itself. You need rest days.

2.) You did not gain more than 2 lbs of fat overnight. It just isn't possible. It's water retention or food in your digestive tract. I weigh daily but I only record my weight once per month and the daily fluctuations don't bother me. If anything it allows me to see how much your weight can vary. If I go to the beach, I'm up two pounds the next day. If I increase weight on one of my major lifts, I'll be up 2-3 lbs. If I go out to eat it's sometimes 3-4 lbs. In none of those scenarios did I gain actual fat. If seeing fluctuations is going to cause you to freak out then stop weighing every day.

3.) Develop habits that you can keep up long term. Setting up unrealistic goals (like exercising two hours every single day) is what leads people to give up when they can't maintain that kind of lifestyle.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing anorexia.