Is it safe to start running?

Options
Is it safe to start running while I am still 100lbs overweight? I want to start the C25K program, but I don't want to injure myself. My current thinking is that carrying this much weight is worse for my knees than running and losing it would be. I would love to hear from people who started running while still obese.

Replies

• RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest walking to start with. Don't run before you can walk is what I told myself :)

It's your decision just be sure to go slow.
  • EandA85
    EandA85 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I started running at my heaviest, about mid-190s. I did fine with C25K but I took it very slowly and did have some trouble with minor injuries here and there that would sideline me for a week or two.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Is it safe to start running while I am still 100lbs overweight? I want to start the C25K program, but I don't want to injure myself. My current thinking is that carrying this much weight is worse for my knees than running and losing it would be. I would love to hear from people who started running while still obese.

Start it, move from slow walk to fast walk, then pick up the pace over time. You're right to note the potential for your knees, but as long as you dont overdo it you should be ok.

As you're doing the programme if you feel the need to repeat a week, or step back a week, then do so. The main thing is getting to the end injury free.
  • evilfairies
    evilfairies Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I tried the C25K when I was at my heaviest (around 320), and I hurt my knee a little bit in doing so. Once my knee healed, I spent my time doing other cardio exercises (walking on the treadmill at an incline, hiking, elliptical, etc.)

Once I lost about 20 lbs, I decided to start running again and I have been doing so for months now. I don't know if it was the weight loss that made the difference, or the endurance I built in my knees/legs by doing other exercises, but I haven't had any problems since then.

I would suggest going for a walk and jog a few times in short intervals at first to kind of test the waters.
  • MassiveBeard
    MassiveBeard Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My suggestion:
    1. Take to your doctor first.
    2. Get fitted for new running shoes at a running store (not footlocker) that can evaluate you. Buy there or online.
    3. Listen to your body. If it hurts, stop. I say that from experience, I've hurt myself because I thought I was just being a wimp.
    4. Don't over stride, try to land mid-foot. Much less stress on your knees if you do not land on your heel first.
    5. Don't be discouraged. Running is as much mental discipline as it is cardio IMHO.
    6. Don't run with headphones at first. I'll probably get blasted for this one, but not being able to hear your breathing is a negative. When I stopped using my headphones I made some really great progress because I could focus on my breathing easier.

Just my tips. Good luck!! BTW I started when I was 127lbs overweight.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    NO!
    keep on your low carbohydrate program.
    Walk in the pool, just walk laps, many as you can or have time for. find gym with a pool and just walk laps.
    you will be amazed at how much walking laps in the pool can do for you and there's no risk of injury. I would not run at this weight.
    I run and the injuries associated with running regularly are challenging enough without running with an extra 100 lbs. on.you are smart to ask.

while walking is ok, walking in the pool will actually work your core, I think, quite a bit more than you may realize.

My wife started walking pool laps. I joined her not realizing how rigorous it could be. you can obviously walk as fast or slow as you like but the overall resistance of the water is an amazing exercise and you won't hurt any joints.