Oil Drilling Project

Options
skierxjes
skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
I am the MOST uncreative person on Earth, so here I am, asking strangers for input.

I had to do a project this semester for a class. We had clients who picked who they wanted working on their project.

My company is an Oil Drilling company based in the town my college is in. Our scope was to do a job analysis, create a job description for a certain position, create a point based disciplinary system and create a pre-employment job test.

My professor is, I don't even know how to describe her. She wants nothing less than perfect and amazing work.

We have to create a tri-fold board and be creative with it. Any ideas are fair game, as long as it is doable within a few days, as we present on Thursday (I know, my group sucks and put this off way too long)

SO, what I need from you lovely people, is ideas on something creative, preferably interactive, and adult. (My professor specifically said if it comes in looking like a 5th grade science project, we fail the class)

So help, PLEASE!!!

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Bake a cake!

dbd_cake.jpg
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If you want to bake a cake, you have to do it by the book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQp5l4-sfFA
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I'm going to tell you the same thing I tell my kids when they wait til the last minute:

Good luck with that.
  • skierxjes
    Options
    It's not that we waited, we've talked about it throughout the semester, but we never came up with anything that was.. different. All of our ideas are generic and not impressive.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    List your ideas, perhaps we can help you spice them up a little/change them around, so that they SEEM impressive? :)
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I am the MOST uncreative person on Earth, so here I am, asking strangers for input.

I had to do a project this semester for a class. We had clients who picked who they wanted working on their project.

My company is an Oil Drilling company based in the town my college is in. Our scope was to do a job analysis, create a job description for a certain position, create a point based disciplinary system and create a pre-employment job test.

My professor is, I don't even know how to describe her. She wants nothing less than perfect and amazing work.

We have to create a tri-fold board and be creative with it. Any ideas are fair game, as long as it is doable within a few days, as we present on Thursday (I know, my group sucks and put this off way too long)

SO, what I need from you lovely people, is ideas on something creative, preferably interactive, and adult. (My professor specifically said if it comes in looking like a 5th grade science project, we fail the class)

So help, PLEASE!!!

For analysis, maybe have a picture of a guy shrugging with a thought balloon saying something like, "This job is really hard."

For job position, create a janitor job. it's mostly sweeping up, right?

For the point based disciplinary position start with something like, "If you do a bad job, you lose a point. If you lose too many points, you'll be fired."

If I'm going too fast, I'll slow down and give you time to catch up...

For the pre-employment test, you really just need a question or two. For instance, for the janitor job, "Can you sweep?" Maybe give a multiple choice of ways to hold a broom. If they can answer those two correctly, I'd say hire. Otherwise it would need to be something like,"Can you drill oil?" "Can you CEO?" You get my drift.

If your prof. is really a perfectionist, and if you're getting your pictures out of magazines, trim carefully and try not to be sloppy with the glue stick.

Easy, peasy...
    tumblr_inline_mssrsxeJ5N1qz4rgp.gif
  • skierxjes
    Options

So help, PLEASE!!!

For analysis, maybe have a picture of a guy shrugging with a thought balloon saying something like, "This job is really hard."

For the point based disciplinary position start with something like, "If you do a bad job, you lose a point. If you lose too many points, you'll be fired."

For the pre-employment test, you really just need a question or two. For instance, for the janitor job, "Can you sweep?" Maybe give a multiple choice of ways to hold a broom. If they can answer those two correctly, I'd say hire. Otherwise it would need to be something like,"Can you drill oil?" "Can you CEO?" You get my drift.

If your prof. is really a perfectionist, and if you're getting your pictures out of magazines, trim carefully and try not to be sloppy with the glue stick.

Easy, peasy...

All of that is already done. That was the hard part. The "easy" part is supposed to be coming up with the visual to our presentation.

Right now, our only idea is to cut out a person, stick it in the middle of the tri-fold board, and have "To hire" on one side and "Or not to hire?" on the other.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

So help, PLEASE!!!
    Perhaps you should reconsider your major.
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options

So help, PLEASE!!!

Easy, peasy...

All of that is already done. That was the hard part. The "easy" part is supposed to be coming up with the visual to our presentation.

Right now, our only idea is to cut out a person, stick it in the middle of the tri-fold board, and have "To hire" on one side and "Or not to hire?" on the other.

All the hard work has been done for you. Watch some episodes of "The Apprentice". See if you can get Omarossa to make an appearance.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Paste an ipad to the cardboard and then ask your "would you hire?" to some cat gifs or thus guy

tumblr_lsfynqbm0S1r20bovo1_500.gif
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    When did MFP add a "Please Do My Homework For Me" section to the forums.

I guess we actually aren't all here for the same things
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    We shouldn't be doing your work for you. Paddle your own canoe, as an overdressed sparrow fart once said.

Also, I read this quote somewhere "Don't feel entitled to anything you didn't sweat and struggle for." - Marian Wright Edelman ".
  • skierxjes
    Options
    Wow, sorry for asking for suggestions. I forgot how this place operates, especially for the people who troll the forums and spend all day on the internet.. Like being back in junior high, except you're all old enough to be my parents ;)
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    Options
    Paste an ipad to the cardboard and then ask your "would you hire?" to some cat gifs or thus guy

tumblr_lsfynqbm0S1r20bovo1_500.gif

Hiremeorno_zpsd6eeeb78.gif[/URL]
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    Options
    Wow, sorry for asking for suggestions. I forgot how this place operates, especially for the people who troll the forums and spend all day on the internet.. Like being back in junior high, except you're all old enough to be my parents ;)

I'm not old enough to be your father....

but The Apprentice is a gold mine of material...
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options

So help, PLEASE!!!

Why do you have a create a tri-fold board for a job analysis, create a job description for a certain position, create a point based disciplinary system and create a pre-employment job test? Why is this a group project? This seems absurd. Go to your local SHRM chapter.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options

In that you're asking other people to do your graded homework project for you, you may want to rethink your perspective.
  • skierxjes
    Options

In that you're asking other people to do your graded homework project for you, you may want to rethink your perspective.

I asked someone to do the job analysis and write the job description and come up with the pre-emp test and discipline policy? I must've missed that post.
  • skierxjes
    Options
    Where did the old people trolls go? This was my entertainment for the evening :)
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options

I asked someone to do the job analysis and write the job description and come up with the pre-emp test and discipline policy? I must've missed that post.

Your ability to creatively organize and present your work is part of what's being tested. Many HR professionals see fantastic analysis ignored because they don't spend enough time figuring out how to communicate it in a way that engages and influences key stakeholders. This is just as important as the work you have done to date, and a key differentiator in successful individuals.