Time to maintain, but I'm honestly a little scared...

Options
My weight loss journey has abruptly and unexpectedly come to an end. I set my goal weight for 110 lbs, not knowing what that would look like for me. I set that weight because my lowest healthy BMI is 105 at my height, so that seemed like a reasonable goal at the time. My beginning weight was 150 and I'm now 117 (at 5'3"). After going on a shopping trip, I found out that I am now a size 0. I have decided to forgo trying to get to 110 in fear that I will be too thin and unable to fit into adult sizes lol. My goal was never to be really skinny, but really fit. Now that I am looking to maintain, I'm honestly a little scared to try to do it. I have gotten so used to a 1200 calorie limit. I calculated my BMR on multiple websites and the lowest one I was given was 1560. That seems like such a drastic change from what I've been eating up to this point. I was wondering if I could get some advice from people who have successfully transitioned into maintaining their weight and have managed to keep it off? Suggestions from short people would be especially helpful! Should I really be eating that much? Should I gradually add calories to my goal so my body doesn't freak out? Any help, advice, tips, and suggestions are welcomed!! Even if it's something I haven't mentioned but you would like to suggest, go for it!

Replies

• shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Add a few hundred calories each week until you start to gain. Then back it off a little. Your body is going through change and now you need to find the middle ground.

I don't worry so much now about how many calories I eat, but the exercise has to be there in order to maintain the weight loss for me. I definitely don't eat like I use to. My habits have changed, but exercise is what keeps me maintaining.
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    May not be the best advice but I still eat the same 1200 calories as before (which meets major nutritional needs) but now I eat a treat most days (cookies, fries with my burger etc)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I was netting 1230 (yes, that's really what MFP calculated for me, not some arbitrary number). I added 250 calories to begin maintaining. That's easy to add - a glass of whole milk and a pear. Butter some toast. A bowl of rice. Half a bagel.

I also bought a fitbit when I started maintenance to measure my activity more accurately.

Same advice as above. Eat the same. Add a nice extra. In the end, we all give in the cheese. :)
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    Don't add the calories all at once. 100 a week or two then add another 100. You may still lose a little bit but it's not something you can't recover from easily enough. You will be able to find that happy spot and find it's not as scary as you thought. I actually plan to go under my goal weight so that when I start maintaining I will have some lbs to play with until I find my happy place. Enjoy it :)
  • 6Petite
    6Petite Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I too had a goal weight of 110. I am 5'0 and my weight for the past few months has been about 116 lbs. My goal of 110 does not seem as important, am very pleased how my clothes fit. I have been doing 1200 calories a day for maybe 3 days a week, and going over the 1200 by no more than a few hundred on the other days. Staying around the same weight. I feel it is important for me to continue the daily logging, especially with the holidays coming.
  • MACnificence
    MACnificence Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is what you burn if you were in a coma as in absolutely no activity , what you want to find out is your TDEE this includes activity or else aim to eat back some exercise calories
    Your goal should be to eat as much as you can without gaining fat I specifically say fat because there is a possibility you could regain glycogen stores (water) when you find maintainance so give yourself a weight range, you need to account for fluctuations
    No one will stay xxx pounds day in day out, keep pushing up your calories 1500 is definitely not alot of calories I'm 5'2 and still have been losing at that number
    So don't be afraid you need to eat 3500 OVER your TDEE to gain 1Ib of fat keep that in mind
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with the maintenance numbers on here for most people. Feel free to use them. Word of note: there are some boring journal articles I saw linked on the forum a while back that talk about water weight associated with replenishing sugar stores in the body so if you "gain" a few this might explain it.
  • Rangerfied
    Rangerfied Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think if you got down to a weight that you feel is comfortable for you than that is great. So it's 7 lbs heavier than what you wanted it to be, but if you're scared of being too skinny at 110 lbs, than don't go for 110 lbs. Do your best to maintain the weight you're at. I think some of the advice on here has been good. Some are still sticking to the calorie count, but had an extra treat here and there. Either way good for you for getting down in weight. I struggle all the time. My graph for weight loss over time looks like a pulse rate. Up and down.
  • mkinney07
    mkinney07 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all of the advice everyone! I will take this information and experiment to see what will work best for me. To MAC, the reason I like to eat calories based off of BMR is because I like to record all exercise, rather than including it in my calorie limit. I am active most days, but on my rest days, I like to know how many calories I should be eating if I were to be completely sedentary. Also, the reason I am afraid to up my calories is because I have been maintaining this same weight for about a month and a half, and it took me months to even lose those last 5 pounds. I've lost a lot of inches during that time, but my weight has not changed very much. I'm afraid that upping my caloric intake will mess up what I've worked so hard to maintain up to this point. It's just difficult for me to break the routine I feel I finally have found and that has been working for me. I will try the advice given to up my calories 100 at a time. Each time I'll see how it feels for me, then when I'm comfortable, up it to the next 100. I know 360 calories doesn't seem like much, but to me it seems like a lot, considering that it is more than 1/4 of what I have currently been eating! I've been kind of a control freak about everything, and I'm trying to get to a point where I can loosen up a little, now that I can afford to, it's just not easy!! lol
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If you set yourself to sedentary you are essentially working off your BMR (I do the same thing). I really would recommend a little device that will measure your steps at least and calculate your activities in addition to formal 'exercise'. A Fitbit zip costs $59. It takes away calories when you don't move enough and adds them in when you do. I've found it very helpful and 'buys' me a lot of calories during maintenance. That just makes it easy to stay within my goals.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Your BMR measures calorie expenditure if you did nothing but literally lie down for 24hours. Even 'sedentary' lifestyles include getting up to pee. Up your cals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    that's only a few hundred calories more than you're eating now...that's nothing...that's a couple handfuls of nuts...about 2 oz worth. Also, your BMR is just what your body needs for basic functioning...it doesn't include any activity.

Just up your calories incrementally and slowly until you even out...you'll likely end up around 1800 or so. keep in mind that you will gain a few pounds as you replenish your chronically depleted glycogen stores as well. this is not fat and is completely normal and healthy.

to meat your calorie goals you'll likely need to start eating dietary fat...most people who can't meet paltry calorie goals have substantially cut fat because they have a negative relationship with it...fat doesn't make you fat...start eating nuts and cooking with olive oil, etc. full fat dairy and stop doing no fat/low fat stuff if you are.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm far from goal but my plan is to follow the 5:2 plan and keep an eye on the scale. If I go up 5#s, I will immediately use the 5:2 plan to take it off. If you are not aware of the 5:2 plan, pick up a copy of The Fast Diet by Dr. Michael Mosley.
  • carholl
    carholl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal weight a few months ago. The main thing for me is continuing the elliptical and logging my meals. On the weekends I usually go a little over the recommended calorie intake, but I know I'll get back on track during the week. I've found that at my age (57) it's a lot easier for the weight to stay with me, so it's something I still have to be aware of.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal weight almost one year ago and have kept it off beautifully. I had to go from 1,475 cals to about 1,850 and like you, I was extremely nervous about that. I'm happy to tell you that the higher number was EXACTLY what my body needed and I've kept everything off with absolutely no problem.

I echo everyone's suggestions to bump it up 100 cals at a time, either each week or every other week. I tried eating all of it at once and got ill - it was too much!

Another reminder is that you can bump up those cals without bumping up VOLUME of food - in other words, if your stomach is comfortable with the *amount* of food you normally eat, then consider upping those calories with non-volume items such as oils, butters, high-cal dairy products, bacon, sausage, wine in your cooking, handfuls of nuts, that sort of things. We've foolishly been led to believe those items are "bad", but they're not - in moderation. And the great thing about these ingredients is that not only will they bring your calorie level up to where it needs to be - they are DELICIOUS and will add some zest and spice and yumminess to your diet!

Congratulations and ENJOY your new-found freedom and health!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Why not figure out your maintenance level based on real observed changes?

What was your weight loss in total the last 4 weeks?

What was your total average eating level daily (not net, gross, total)? (so you do need complete accurate records, if you have a bunch of incomplete days because you binged or didn't want to log special meals, this doesn't work.)

One assumption in this math, that you only lost fat weight, but many lose muscle too sadly with too big a deficit and not doing resistance training.

Total lost in 4 weeks x 3500 / 4 weeks / 7 days = amount of daily deficit you actually had in place from your maintenance level to cause that loss.

Average eaten daily + observed deficit = real TDEE or maintenance level with whatever the level of activity was during those 4 weeks.

Increase slowly up to that level daily. Then tweak from there to remove some on rest days, add more on workout days.

And you should gain glucose with attached water stores, which could be 1-2 lbs that won't likely show up anywhere except the muscles you used the most, mainly with cardio, those may appear bigger. This is good needed water weight.

But if your new level of eating includes more sodium, you can retain there too. This is the unnecessary water weight.
  • misskissmck
    misskissmck Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You are very wise to be concerned. I have reached my goal weight just to gain it all back. I like the idea of gradually adding calories each week. If your used to eating 1200.....try 1350 for a week....if you lose weight add 50 more each week until you are just maintaining.....thats my plan for when I reach maintenance. I wish I had done that before, instead of acting like Yes! Ive made it now I can eat what I want, when I want. I should have known how that would end. I just convinced myself I knew how to lose weight and could stop before it got out of hand. Good Luck....stay motivated.....I think maintaining is harder than losing. when you are losing people are talking about it all the time....that is motivation.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    It is scary, somehow I was able to maintain for 6-8 months, then I started slipping back into old habits and gained 10 lbs this summer. I know why - lots of beer, and bending my rules more than a couple days a week. I realized quickly though that I will need a strict regimn forever.

I agree with what another poster siad... up your calls by a couple hundred and when you start gaining, knock it back down. You will find your balance and exercise will help alot.

It's a new phase... we are all good at losing since we got to maintenance, now we need to learn how to maintain and adjust to that. I am close to getting my 10lbs off and will start over, with a way stricter regimn.

Good luck.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    My goal was never to be really skinny, but really fit. Now that I am looking to maintain, I'm honestly a little scared to try to do it. I have gotten so used to a 1200 calorie limit. I calculated my BMR on multiple websites and the lowest one I was given was 1560. That seems like such a drastic change from what I've been eating up to this point. I was wondering if I could get some advice from people who have successfully transitioned into maintaining their weight and have managed to keep it off? Suggestions from short people would be especially helpful! Should I really be eating that much? Should I gradually add calories to my goal so my body doesn't freak out? Any help, advice, tips, and suggestions are welcomed!! Even if it's something I haven't mentioned but you would like to suggest, go for it!
    I think the fact that you've already noticed your at your happy weight without keeping on cutting just to get to a specific number on the scale shows you are on the right track, yes the scale is great guideline but how you look and how you feel in your clothes are just as important. :)..I was in the same boat as you last may, I have to say I was afraid aswell, for so long I was used to the concept of 'loosing' and reaching my goal that when I reached it I was stubborn almost to let go of the way I had been living I suppose because I was happy with my success and finally reaching my target.

That being said I have been maintaining now since may and haven't put anything back on. I gradually introduced a little bit more calories into my diet, while cutting I was eating around 1350 where possible, when I got down to my desired weight (112) I like you, started to read up and came for advice on here how I could get my body used to maintenance, I started to introduce just a little more food...for example instead of the apple as a snack to keep me going during the day i may have an apple and a yoghurt, for me i found extra fruit a good way of just hedging that calorie count up a bit more or snacking on nuts, one thing though is to always remain accountable where possible as nuts can be quite high in calories and it is easy to eat quite a lot and not realise.

This may not be the best advice but eventually your body just finds its balance, you think by eating above what you had been that its just going to go back on but it won't, I can maintain at about 1680-1700 I suppose nowadays (5ft3) there is days i'd have more/less but it always balances out. I exercise minimum 3 times a week, a lot of people do more so depending on that it van bring your maintenance up. Resistence training can also be very beneficial for this! Best of luck! There is great advice in topics on this thread. :)
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining since around Feb. I was terrified to begin with. I'm 5"2 and currently around 110lbs though i flutter up and down slightly. It's not as bad as i expected it to be. Good luck!