Small "Apple" getting frustrated

Options
This is mostly a rant and partly a "Can you do the math and tell me if I'm wrong" post. Thank you ahead for your help!

I've lost enough weight that I'm at a point where it's time to reevaluate my weight loss goals.

I went from 124 to 110 lbs, and at 110 lbs, that seems like a very reasonable weight to me. I'm thinking it's time to loosen up and maintain.

So, today I did some calculations. Calculations are below if you'd like to look.

RESULTS:

I am extremely apple shape and with a waist to hip ratio of 0.92, I'm in the HIGH RISK of serious health problem range. It's the hated belly fat.

I'm at a loss for what to do...You'd think 110lbs is a healthy weight to be...but no, not with that belly fat.

CURRENT diet and exercise:

I usually eat healthy and have been trying to stay in the 1,300 calories range to slowly lose weight at about 0.5 lbs a week (I've gotten lazy.) I do my own cooking. I avoid breads and pasta, but I can't seem to live without the white rice and rice noodles.

I'm training for 5K and have been running very well, if very, very, very slowly (14 minutes/mile, but MFP doesn't consider that jogging...just...fast walking).

Weight training consists of about 10-15 minutes haphazard abdominal exercises and 10lbs dumbell exercises whenever the mood strikes.

NEW plan (What do you think?)

Continue eating healthy, drop down to 1,200 calories, continue weight loss rather than maintain. Avoid all white rice/noodles and switch completely to quinoa, brown rice, whole grains only.

Add 30 minutes of weight training every other day, "jogging" every other day, hopefully to switch body fat to lean muscles.

New weight goal: 105 lbs?

Height: 5'2 (5'1 and 3/4' but we'll round up)
Current weight: 110 lbs
Waist: 30.5'
Hip: 33.5'

BMI 20.5 in the normal range

Body Fat percentage of 25% *facepalm* (in the acceptable range)
Body fat is 27.79 lbs
Lean body mass is 83.2 lbs (I have tiny wrists and forearms. Tiny.)

Waist to Hip Ratio is 0.92!! HIGH RISK of health problems. Extremely apple shape!

Replies

• gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Yes the ratio might be extreme apple, but your overall waist size is not as terrible. I only know the overall waist size in cm, but if you check it out you'll find that that is still okay. You will not have as much visceral fat as someone who has the same ratio but has 20 inches more around. Its still worth improving your strength, but perhaps drastic measures regarding your calories can be avoided. Good luck :-)
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't cut down to 1200 calories. If I were you I would start weight training and eat at a small deficit or at maintenence.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I am extremely apple shape and with a waist to hip ratio of 0.92, I'm in the HIGH RISK of serious health problem range.

Not necessarily. The WHR needs to be considered along with other factors - bodyfat level, blood work (cholesterol, etc), family history, and your overall diet & exercise regimen.

I like the overall plan. It's good to switch to higher protein grains (quinoa, oats, wheat, buckwheat, etc).

Ab exercises are pointless for reducing ab fat. For an explanation, Google "spot reduction myth".
    I'd follow a good full-body lifting program (NROLFW, etc).
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't cut down to 1200 calories. If I were you I would start weight training and eat at a small deficit or at maintenence.

^^This. I wouldn't worry so much about doing weight loss as I would about doing a body recomp. Set a small deficity (if any), maybe 200 calories and up your weight training. Keep the running but try to work on uping your overall strength.

Keep in mind that 110lbs can look very different depending on the overall muscle to fat ratios. What you want is to change those ratios, not necissarily the overall weight.

I also wouldn't worry so much about where your carbs are coming from as I would about the overall amount of carbs vs. your protein intake.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

^^This. I wouldn't worry so much about doing weight loss as I would about doing a body recomp. Set a small deficity (if any), maybe 200 calories and up your weight training. Keep the running but try to work on uping your overall strength.

Keep in mind that 110lbs can look very different depending on the overall muscle to fat ratios. What you want is to change those ratios, not necissarily the overall weight.

I also wouldn't worry so much about where your carbs are coming from as I would about the overall amount of carbs vs. your protein intake.

Agreed. Especially the bolded.