Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Fitness and Exercise
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Calories burned dirt bike motorcycle riding?

lfhibizlfhibiz Member Posts: 12 Member Posts: 12
Hi,

Nothing listed under the exercise, using key words such as "motorcycle", "dirt bike" etc., so I was thinking about adding, however the research I have found online is inconsistent.

For an hour of trail riding, single track, hills, small jumps, moderately technical, front wheel on the ground 75% of the time, etc. on the average give or take 50 calories, how much does a rider burn?

I am finding a wide range of 170 to 1000 calories burned per hour...I was thinking of adding this exercise at 300 per hour.

Thought I would get the community's input,

Thanks,
Lewis

Replies

• EricaFaytheEricaFaythe Member Posts: 37 Member Member Posts: 37 Member
    I wouldn't log it, but that's just me....
  • RunBrewRunBrew Member Posts: 220 Member Member Posts: 220 Member
    I grew up racing MX and Hare Scrambles at a regional level, and did it all the way into adulthood when I quit after a particularly bad accident after tangling with another rider in mid-air on an MX course.
    I personally wouldn't log it at all if you only rode an hour or two. If you were out the whole day, I'd just adjust my calorie intake to 'moderately active' and go with that.

If I *was* logging it, personally I'd say general trail riding might be equivalent to genreal yardwork, like maybe 200 cal/ hour, assuming you don't stop alot.

Something like 'race practice' I might log as 300-350 per hour.

There is an entry in the MFP database for Motor-cross, at 260/hr...that might be a good compromise.
  • crys_vbcrys_vb Member Posts: 25 Member Member Posts: 25 Member
    I went out for a one hour rip last night on my dirt bike and i burned 560 and i definitely logged it, dirt biking is hard work! I log my mountain biking too
  • jewellpoolsrvcjewellpoolsrvc Member Posts: 1 Member Member Posts: 1 Member
    I regularly ride once to three times a week. I'm a A level racer and A level trail rider. I'm 46, 200lbs, 6foot. When riding, racing, or practicing I routinely wear a Polar heart rate monitor.

You are burning alot of calories when riding a dirt bike. So many people think it's so easy, well it isn't. You are using every muscle in your legs, core, chest, back, shoulders and arms.

My calorie burn on average for an hour of dirt biking will range routinely from 800-1200 calories an hour. Depends on how hard I'm pushing myself. My heart rate avg is 135-145 low, with an avg high rate of 160-175.

I've compared my calorie to other dirt bikers using Fitbit or Garmin devices and the calorie burns are all similar depending on the level of exertion while riding.

Youd have to be sitting on ur butt riding in circles for an hour to only burn 200 calories. Compare it to yard work? No way.

Hope that helps. I recommend getting a heart rate monitor so you know your exertion level and accurate calorie burn.

Hope this helps, and keep that throttle twisted!
    edited June 2016
  • allisterintofinoallisterintofino Member Posts: 1 Member Member Posts: 1 Member
    As I write this I am waiting for my fitness tracker in the mail and in the meantime I have signed up and purchased the complimenting apps.I was not expecting to see "single track dirtbiking" in MyFitnessPal's exercise list but what I was surprised was to to read the assumptions made by those who obviously don't ride single track.Or perhaps they do and in/on that said single track they must not endure inclines,root sections,boulder sections,obstacles etc and sitting on the seat whilst riding opposed to standing on the pegs.Well here on the west coast of Vancouver island thats all you do endure and you can't sit down...

I'm 43 6' 175 and the only thing that has kept me fit for the last 10years is single track dirtbiking (trust me it ain't genetics).
    It is a full body work out.If you don't believe me I'll send you my jersey after my next ride.

Anyway I'll put my money where my mouth is and get back to you after a few rides with the fitness tracker.Id venture to say I'm burning 450 - 600 calories+ an hour depending the terrain.
  • Dazzle2399Dazzle2399 Member, Premium Posts: 2 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2 Member
    Easily! A flippant response of I wouldn’t bother logging it is just ignorant. 120kms of single trail with a quick fuel stop and banana in the middle will burn 1000 calories every day of the week, a nasty hill climb or 2 with slippery rocks, trees and roots lasting 10min would equal sprinting the sled for the same amount of time just for a bit of HIIT amongst it.
    edited June 2018
  • Dazzle2399Dazzle2399 Member, Premium Posts: 2 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2 Member
  • robertw486robertw486 Member, Greeter Posts: 2,261 Member Member, Greeter Posts: 2,261 Member
    Dazzle2399 wrote: »
    Easily! A flippant response of I wouldn’t bother logging it is just ignorant. 120kms of single trail with a quick fuel stop and banana in the middle will burn 1000 calories every day of the week, a nasty hill climb or 2 with slippery rocks, trees and roots lasting 10min would equal sprinting the sled for the same amount of time just for a bit of HIIT amongst it.

Though I agree that at times the calorie burn would be fairly high, the problem is the variables. The terrain, bike weight, suspension on said bike, powerband, etc., would all factor in.

If someone really wanted max energy expenditure, find an early 70's or so two stroke bike and some tough terrain. Just about anything in that era (pretty much before the original Honda Elsinore) was like riding a fairly heavy pogo stick that happened to have two wheels, and an engine that had a powerband more like an on/off switch. :#
  • dunc289dunc289 Member Posts: 54 Member Member Posts: 54 Member
    3hrs of technical single track, including about 8 falls, which means deadlifting a 400 pound bike upright in 35 degree heat on steep sandy hills.
    Yeah.
    I think I'll bother to log it.
    It equals 1 pizza.
  • David_the_OGDavid_the_OG Member, Premium Posts: 1 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1 Member
    Similar to jewellpoolsrvcjewellpoolsrvc, I race MX and XC, but on an ATV and at the national and regional levels. I rode yesterday for about an hour in an area I was unfamiliar with and burned 1300+ calories. Racing in GNCC for 2-2.5 hours, I've burned 2500-3500 calories. Riding, whether or on a track or off-road, burns a lot of calories, especially as you improve your skill and can push the pace harder and/or longer. I wear a Garmin VivoActive 3 all the time and even when I ride, so I can track my activity. Again, it equals A LOT OF CALORIES!