Advice for a new vegan?

Options

Replies

• butro78
    butro78 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I'm a 7 year vegan, was lacto ovo vegetarian for 6 years prior to that. You won't regret it, trust me :) Please don't listen to nutritionally low IQ people on this forum who say it's not a healthy way to live. There is such an overwhelming amount of research that has been done w/in even the last 5-10 years that truly makes plant-based nutrition the optimal human diet, not to mention for such a wide array of other reasons: Efficiency, Economics, Compassion, Planet. NOT being vegan is actually extremely strange once someone knows about all of these aspects.

If you have ANY questions whatsoever, let me know. I've made it my hobby to know what is up w/ this, since there are all sorts of meat enthusiasts out there that think they know what they're talking about w/out doing any true research of their own.

And don't feel alone, there are millions of plant-based people out there :) If you haven't joined a meetup in your area yet I'd recommend doing that.

Steph
    And I'm from a medium sized Midwestern town, so I know how difficult it can be as far as dealing with stuff...

Quickie Advice for the Inevitable Meat Enthusiasts:

1) B12: Super easy: Nutritional yeast. I add it to all sorts of stuff.

2) Vitamin D: mushrooms, especially ones grown in ultraviolet light (they create Vitamin D from sunlight just like we do)

3) Protein: Plants themselves have 4-7%, where do the cows get their protein? From plants, duh. Don't have time to explain the "complete" protein myth circulating out there, but rest assured, vegans don't need to worry

4) Omegas: Fish don't produce their own, DHA, EPA, etc is produced by the algae that the fish eat. I personally take an algae based supplement, but that's the only supplement I take.

5) K2 (mk-7) You'll hear some people say you can only get this from animals.. Wrong again. Natto, a fermented soy product is one of the highest sources. For lunch everyday I drink a Raw Meal chocolate shake which has it in there. Super stuff.

6) Calcium: Not really sure why I'm even adding this because it seems so obvious by now, but green leafy vegetables contain better absorbing, higher quality calcium, plus plants have tons of phytonutrients and fiber.

7) Iron: You'll also hear this a lot. That plant iron is "low quality". Wrong. In terms of absorption, animal-based (heme) iron does absorb faster/better, however when has that always meant better? Kind of like saying simple carbs are better than complex carbs... well don't they get pushed faster into your body? Iron and other heavy metals accumulate in the body and are more and more research is pointing to heavy metals being a root cause of everything from Alzheimer's to Parkinsons, so no, the more iron absorbed NOT better. Plant based (non-heme) iron is better suited for your body because your body has better regulating mechanisms for it. No harmful accumulation there. If you're at all worried about absorption, throw some citrus or strawberries in some green leafies to boost it.

8) Gosh, what else might you hear? Who in the world knows, if you have a question, just let me know though And no, not going to put a bibliography here to wrap everything up (for those of you that want me to cite each and every source for these "radical" claims. anyone can find these facts easily enough if they're interested)
  • Cgall1
    Cgall1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    hemp hearts for Omegas and protein
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Good for you! I'm a 7 year vegan, was lacto ovo vegetarian for 6 years prior to that. You won't regret it, trust me :) Please don't listen to nutritionally low IQ people on this forum who say it's not a healthy way to live. There is such an overwhelming amount of research that has been done w/in even the last 5-10 years that truly makes plant-based nutrition the optimal human diet, not to mention for such a wide array of other reasons: Efficiency, Economics, Compassion, Planet. NOT being vegan is actually extremely strange once someone knows about all of these aspects.

If you have ANY questions whatsoever, let me know. I've made it my hobby to know what is up w/ this, since there are all sorts of meat trolls out there that think they know what they're talking about w/out doing any true research of their own.

And don't feel alone, there are millions of plant-based people out there :) If you haven't joined a meetup in your area yet I'd recommend doing that.

Steph
    And I'm from a medium sized Midwestern town, so I know how difficult it can be as far as dealing w/ the uneducated/ignorant.

Since I eat meat, in your eyes, I automatically don't know what I'm talking about and am a troll. Got it.

The ONLY way your food choices do not negatively impact the earth or the lives of animals is if you grow and harvest all the food you eat yourself. Veganism is just as destructive to this planet as omnivorous eating choices, and to say your diet is superior shows us that you are the one that does not know what they're talking about.

That being said, eat what you want. I encourage the OP to eat how they see fit. But neither approach is superior to my own or anyone else's.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    hemp hearts for Omegas and protein
    Hemp protein has crap PDCAA value.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Good for you! I'm a 7 year vegan, was lacto ovo vegetarian for 6 years prior to that. You won't regret it, trust me :) Please don't listen to nutritionally low IQ people on this forum who say it's not a healthy way to live. There is such an overwhelming amount of research that has been done w/in even the last 5-10 years that truly makes plant-based nutrition the optimal human diet, not to mention for such a wide array of other reasons: Efficiency, Economics, Compassion, Planet. NOT being vegan is actually extremely strange once someone knows about all of these aspects.

If you have ANY questions whatsoever, let me know. I've made it my hobby to know what is up w/ this, since there are all sorts of meat trolls out there that think they know what they're talking about w/out doing any true research of their own.

Steph
    And I'm from a medium sized Midwestern town, so I know how difficult it can be as far as dealing w/ the uneducated/ignorant.

Right back at you. There's that vegan smugness we all know and don't love. :tongue:
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

Steph
    So what research has been done to say veganism is much healthier than an omnivoric lifestyle? What research have you been doing?
  • butro78
    Options
    To be clear, the trolls I'm talking about come to the defense of meat in any situation even though they have no research to back it up as far as it being healthier than a plant based diet. If that's you, then yes, you're a meat troll...
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    To be clear, the trolls I'm talking about come to the defense of meat in any situation even though they have no research to back it up as far as it being healthier than a plant based diet. If that's you, then yes, you're a meat troll...

"Troll" isn't the same as "having an opinion". The definition of a troll isn't that they believe the opposite of what butro78 believes.
  • butro78
    Options
    I've been at it for 7 years, there's no way to list every resource, nor do I feel I need to give a bibliography, it's out there for anyone to look it up. I edited my response to her for any particular question you may have, from b12 to protein.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options

Oh, you were clear, don't you worry about that. "Meathead". Classic vegan elitism. And you guys wonder why no one can stand you? You're like a religion. :huh:
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    I've been at it for 7 years, there's no way to list every resource, nor do I feel I need to give a bibliography, it's out there for anyone to look it up. I edited my response to her for any particular question you may have, from b12 to protein.

If you make a claim, you really ought to supply resources, it's common courtesy.
  • butro78
    Options
    We get so much crap from people who know little to nothing about nutrition, who are so quick to judge vegans that it's hard not to have your guard up. Thanks for fitting into that category as well.
  • ToFatT0B3S1ck
    ToFatT0B3S1ck Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    ...Don't eat meat.
  • butro78
    Options
    Another person who thinks I need to cite a bibliography and all of my resources. if you don't believe what I say (I edited my response to her above), then look it all up yourself and disprove it...
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    We get so much crap from people who know little to nothing about nutrition, who are so quick to judge vegans that it's hard not to have your guard up. Thanks for fitting into that category as well.

I'm honestly not trying to harass or judge your diet. You said something and I disagreed.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    Another person who thinks I need to cite a bibliography and all of my resources. if you don't believe what I say (I edited my response to her above), then look it all up yourself and disprove it...

That's a little intellectually lazy, don't you think? Why would I want to do that? You made the claim, so you're the one that has to back it up for me to believe it.

I just saw your edits, and that's not what I meant. Do you have any research links or studies from valid scientific journals?
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Most vegan food is high in sodium and fat. But what do I know?
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    ive been veggie for years. i dont have a problem when im out with friends and they have a burger. I just do my own thing.

I leave them alone but yet i still get people bothering me about what i eat. Its interesting. Its not hard to follow a veggie diet and i really enjoy eating that way. the worst part about it is the other people.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I've been a vegan for three years and vegetarian for about a decade.

1) What's the best way to tell other people if they do ask why I'm suddenly not eating meat or dairy?
    Simply speak your truth - you don't need to defend yourself. I became vegan for ethical reasons, so I usually just told people "I did a lot of research on the meat, dairy and egg industries and decided it's just not something I can support". It's not something you need to be harsh about, but a simple sentence or two will be fine.

2) What are the staples in your diet that you cannot live without?
    I'm not sure what country you're in, but seitan is my absolute favorite vegan protein, as well as veggie stir-fries and curries with tofu or tempeh. Do yourself a favor and do some Youtube research on how to prepare tofu - so many people eat it out of the package and then complain that they don't like it. Just like any ingredient, it needs a little love.

As far as produce, I love fresh kale stir-fried with a tiny bit of vinegar, garlic and soy sauce. I've also been into zucchini julienned into spaghetti noodles and covered in creamy tofu-based sauce!

3) What do you eat when you go out?
    I always try to find out where I'm going beforehand and call ahead - you'll find that it's easiest for the restaurant - and you - if you call during non-peak hours to discuss vegan options on the menu, or what the restaurant can do for you. Worst case scenario, almost any restaurant can do pasta with marinara sauce. I almost always carry a Clif bar in my purse for those times when I absolutely can't have any control over where we're going (but I almost always suggest places where there's some sort of delicious vegan option!)

4) What has been your experience with veganism and weight loss?
    Don't confuse vegan with thin - it's easy to be a fat vegan if you don't monitor your calorie intake and outbook. Make the majority of your diet fresh fruits and veggies and plant-based proteins and don't fall into the trap of "this is vegan, so it's healthy/low calorie/nutritious", etc.

However, I have found that I am able to eat a larger volume of food as a vegan than I would have as an omnivore, or even a vegetarian!

Do be sure to educate yourself on the nutrients you need - it's not hard to get things like iron, calcium, protein, etc through a vegan diet, you just want to be sure that you are hitting good numbers on everything! Feel free to contact me with any questions you might have as you begin your transition into veganism!
  • CatLambee
    Options
    Well be prepared for people to ride your butt about not eating meat. They'll tell you you "need" meat for protein and iron, and this is definitely not the case. It's not even "harder" to get the proper nutrients on a vegan diet. You kind of just have to eat a little of everything, and be knowledeable about what veg and fruits contain what.

A lot of people who go vegan talk about eating a "rainbow" of foods, and this is true and not just for vegans! You want to try to eat foods of a variety of colors and textures. Nuts and leafy greens are excellent substitutes for the nutrients found in meat, and it's a common mistake that you can't find "as much" iron and protein in veg and nuts. You can! Don't worry. Just make sure you eat enough!

It should be noted that when going (clean) vegan, you'll probably be eating more food that you were before. Veg and fruit have less calories than meat and other processed snack foods, and regardless of your diet, you're still going to need the calories for energy!

But as several other people have mentioned- going vegan does NOT mean you're automatically healthy. My cousin decided she had a moral problem with eating animal product (understandable, if you look into it) and so she decided to be vegan. Her "vegan" consisted of like...french fries. And she ended up passing out at school from malnutrition. So please remember to eat a variety of foods, and you'll probably want to stay away from most processed stuff.