Will a green smoothie lose its nutrients in a thermos?

Options
I'm new here. Hello everyone.

Pretty straightforward question. I started the green smoothie diet. I know they recommend you drink it right away after blending it. However, there are days I'm not home for 4-8 hours. I like to consume something roughly every 4 hours. When I go to school, I make two smoothies. I drink one and put the other one is a heavy duty thermos that keeps drinks cold for 24 hours. After roughly 4 hours, I have the smoothie in the thermos. I was just wondering if this smoothie is still highly nutritious or if it lost a great deal of nutrients.

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    No, the nutrients don't go anywhere. They probably only advise drinking them immediately because they start to separate and get a little gross over looking over time.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options
    I think some vitamins do break down over time, although I'm not sure if that matters to the body (I mean, the body breaks down all kinds of chemicals and builds things out of components). I don't know if how much vitamins would be affected in four hours, but a thermos is pretty ideal to minimize it, especially if you fill it all the way up (no light or air to promote the breakdown, and any microorganisms that might be causing changes will generally be slowed down by the cold).