The Tummy "Overhang" ...Give me inspiration!

Options
bbontheb
bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
My most upsetting part of my weight gain over the past few years (+3 babies, depression, etc) has been the full on tummy overhang. I had 3 caesareans and I have a lot of pain in the area as well and I just hate what has happened to my stomach.

Anyone have a tummy overhang and know what I am talking about? I can't even figure out my size because of this issue and am on my journey to lose weight.

Pictures for progress, inspiration, even if it shows leftover lose skin? I just am not very hopeful and need something to help me. Or hear others experiences as well.

Thx!!

Replies

• jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • biggestloser90
    biggestloser90 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Truegoddess22
    Truegoddess22 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have the tummy overhang issue as well and I had my son via c-section 8 yrs ago. I'm just now starting my weight loss journey so no after pics yet. I can't figure out how to add pics on here but I know what you are talking about and it's worsesome :(
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I've not had any csections and I have tummy overhang. The more weight I lose, the smaller it gets. From my understanding, getting to a low enough body fat will help and heavy full body weight lifting.

I'm not a huge fan, my body is looking much better except for that area. We will all get to where we want, we just can't give up.
  • k8tj
    k8tj Posts: 5
    Options
    wow! great pics!
    which of those exercise programmes did you prefer / found worked best?
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    So here is the thing.. all of my weight was in my stomach and the little fat I have left is i'm my stomach and back.. and it'll go as I keep going. I do have some loose skin in the area. But I was 232 lbs and I size 22. Now, I'm 128 and a size 4. With clothes on, I hear, "you are so fit, you are so skinny, you look so great". People don't know I have loose skin.

Just get the fat off. You will feel and look a whole lot better, and you will be a whole lot healthier. Deal with the skin later.
  • calebnmariah
    calebnmariah Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Check out www.slimdownwithsara.com she has been such a motivation to me. She was 247 by end of pregnancy and now she is 117. She still has some lose skin and she has stretch marks, but she looks great. Makes you appreciate your mommy body. She also has a facebook page too. Check it out and follow her, so motivational!!!!
  • happystars82
    happystars82 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My most upsetting part of my weight gain over the past few years (+3 babies, depression, etc) has been the full on tummy overhang. I had 3 caesareans and I have a lot of pain in the area as well and I just hate what has happened to my stomach.

Anyone have a tummy overhang and know what I am talking about? I can't even figure out my size because of this issue and am on my journey to lose weight.

Pictures for progress, inspiration, even if it shows leftover lose skin? I just am not very hopeful and need something to help me. Or hear others experiences as well.

Thx!!

it WILL get better!

the left is me a few years ago ( 2009 or 2010) and the right is me just a few months ago. The funny thing is, there is only a few lbs difference! In the picture on the left, I weigh 188-199lbs, in the picture on the right, I weigh 192lbs.

10035269906_47277afec6.jpg
    Untitled by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

this is a super good picture from last week. I am flexing a little to see my abs.
    10857455026_4d003227d4.jpg
    #fitspo #hardworkwins #nevergiveup #notacardiobunny by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

I've worked with a trainer off and on for most of this year. Currently I am working (alone) on a plan he wrote for me several months ago. I squat heavy 2-3x a week....

this is very interesting for me as ive been going hard at the gym for a month mainly cardio and some lifting and i have gained a pound but lost inches...
  • jlzangaro
    jlzangaro Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 c sections also with a bad overhang. With ab workouts and cutting your body fat it does go down. I'm not sure if yours is as bad as mine from all the stretching but I do understand the frustration of having that extra skin.
  • FatGoinDown
    FatGoinDown Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is awesome. Just what I needed. I'm 51 and have lost 30 pounds since May. The shape in my middle is the same only smaller. So a big thank you for your pics. I can visualize now! What is your favorite tummy firming exercise?
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Personally, I liked them all. The hardest workout was definitely Insanity. If you're just starting out - I'd do T25. It's a good workout and the workout is 25 minutes with 2½-3½ minute cool down - so just under 30 minutes. Insanity & T25 incorporate cardio, ab, strength and stability. Jillian Michael's is also a great workout and she does cardo, abs and strength. I started with hers and when I first started found it HARD. After Insanity, it's a cake walk.

I don't really have a favorite tummy firming exercise. I don't do them - per se, I merely do what is in the workout program I'm currently doing (T25). V-sits are the most challenging. Shaun T. doesn't do crunches or sit ups, but you still get a good ab workout!
  • bbontheb
    Options
    Thank you all for the "bumps," posts, pics and inspiration! It means a lot to me!!
  • anwylyd_un
    anwylyd_un Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't have any pics, but even with this modest 5lb loss and daily walking I am noticing an improvement in mine. I have a c-section scar, a hysterectomy scar (in the same place) and a full length laparotomy scar, so my stomach has been opened and closed a few times. On top of that I have an ileostomy bag which pulls that side of my abdomen down. Nonetheless, my overhang is no more. Still have a bit of a pooch there, but it no longer aprons!

Hang in there, weight loss and exercise will reduce it.

*edit - I've had 3 kids and at 5'3 the only place to fit a bump was all out in front :)
  • lighteningjeanne855
    Options
    Is there anyone who has a VERTICAL Cesarean scar that has improved?
    Right now, I have buttocks both fore and aft, as well as an overhang. :sad: .
  • anwylyd_un
    anwylyd_un Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Not a vertical c-section, but my laparotomy scar runs from my pubis to my diaphragm, so opened all the way up to my rib cage. It does have a slight indent along the scar-line where my weight has gone up since the surgery 5 years back, but it is decreasing as my weight goes down again. My stomach kind of resembles a cats nose at the bottom where the laparotomy scar meets the C-section.
  • bbontheb
    Options
    I've never had a c-section, both my boys were vaginal.. but I have had some serious belly flap going on. I've still got a way to go, but I hope my progress picture can offer you some hope!

188 lbs to 165 lbs currently
    006f9fc1-62ad-464c-9d91-0a7910ddda3a_zps00ef40d5.jpg

Oh my goodness!!!!! Rad progress pic. Fantastic work!! This is very inspiring! :)
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    On this subject Dr. Nick (you should google his story and book) says to people who are worrying -"just lose the weight and when you get to goal worry about it then" I would add get lots of exercise the whole time you're losing and lose at a rate of about 1 - 1 1/2 pd per week - no more. Lots of exercise would mean at least a hour a day.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!