Birth Control Pills: BE CAREFUL.

Options
13»

Replies

• veritasria93
    Options
    I use the nuvaring, never had a problem with it, works well and I don't forget my pill. Had horrible side effects on a few different types of Pill, gained weight, bad skin, headaches, and hormonal. Nuvaring works well because the eostrogen is locally released, instead of being ingested through the body. Definitely worth a go and so hassle free :)
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I already have horrible cramps which is why I got on the pill in the first place, so I am thinking an IUD wouldn't help me. I may try NuvaRing...my doctor is sending me a new brand to try out but I just don't want to have to deal with the craziness that was the past 4 months.

I really appreciate all of the responses!!
  • CalistaBruno
    CalistaBruno Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have endometriosis, so I can relate to your terrible cramps. My OB/GYN put me on the NuvaRing, and I keep it in for four months (one ring for four weeks times four rings) and it has helped IMMENSELY with the cramping. Every other form of hormonal birth control I have tried has made me nauseated, moody, and depressed.

Note: The NuvaRing made me sick for the first day of every new ring I put in for the first three months, but it was only 24-hour sickness as opposed to month-long sickness.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I think what people mean is that the pill created conditions that led to their weight gain. "The pill made me gain weight" is probably just simpler to say or type.
    I agree- but it's extremely important to understand how things work- meaning- eating more because of hormones makes me fat.... rather than my BC made me fat- you cannot solve a problem without understanding WHY it's a problem. It makes things much more simple if you know WHY it is doing what it's doing- so just brushing it off as "the pill made me fat" isn't helpful to yourself- or anyone else (I'm saying yourself- generically here not you specifically)
    I agree with much of this. but (and i am no expert) taking "the pill" adds hormones to your body that makes your body think you are pregnant, essentially, thus no ovulation. no actual period either--just a withdrawal bleed. So, while I don't believe the pill (meaning the hormones) creates a 30 pound weight gain; i think a modest weight gain initially is probably true for many.

You don't magically start packing on weight. the hormones yes yes yes- but it's not going to cause a 10- 30 lb gain. A LOT of women are emotional/comfort eaters- hormones... lead to emotional comfort food.

I'm not trying to be flippant. But you need to adjust how things are- pay attention - if the hormones are messing with your homeostasis (spelling disaster) then you need to adjust your food- or adjust your pill- not just resign yourself to the fact "the pill made me gain weight"

I've been on and off pills since I was in college- so we are pushing 10 years now- all different brands- low dose high dose- whatever. I've never gotten fat because of it... because I know eating to much makes me fat- so I regulate it. I'm sure some of them seriously affected me- but I was aware and monitored myself.
  • eclecticthreads
    eclecticthreads Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    WRONG. Hormones are part of the endocrine system, and when things are off kilter, it can dramatically affect your metabolism.

When your metabolism drops, eating the same diet you've always eaten will cause you to gain weight.
  • eclecticthreads
    eclecticthreads Posts: 2 Member
    Options

incorrect.

you don't magically gain weight. hormones might make you more lethargic- more hungry- more moody. But they don't magically make you gain weight- in order to gain weight- you have to eat more. Period.

If you gain weight on the pill- it's because you are eating more. Not trying to be nasty- but the pill causes all sorts of side effects- magical weight gain from no extra food isn't one of them. Moody? hormonal? hungry? depressed? sure lots of those things that drive us to eat- but it can't make you magically gain weight if you were eating at maintenance before you started.

WRONG. Hormones are part of the endocrine system, and when things are off kilter, it can dramatically affect your metabolism.

When your metabolism drops, eating the same diet you've always eaten will cause you to gain weight.