Confused - Is running bad... or good... ?!

Options
1235»

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym I categorise people into three groups, and usually get it right:

1. The not very fit people (usually slightly overweight or look like they sit in an office all day snacking on cookies) - going to a group exercise class e.g. Zumba

2. The muscular types - heading for the gym

3. The ultra-fit and ultra-lean people - going for a group run. These are the fittest-looking ones there!

I think the key is to eat clean and vary your workouts :) But I am pretty sure running will help you lose weight if you approach it the right way!

Don't get me started on fit again!

Fit is apt for a particular task. An olympic gold medalist shot putter is not probably what you'd call "fit looking" but his training has taken him to the peak of his sport. He is the fittest for that task. He needs a certain bodyweight to counteract the weight of the shot. But he also needs to trade this off against the speed required for acceleration. It is getting this trade off right and balancing this with the demands of training and peaking for events that makes him the fittest of all the competitors on his given day.

A sprinter will need a different kind of fit. Likewise a Heavyweight Judoka. Likewise a flyweight boxer. Likewise a Decathlete.

Fit is not some narrow thing that depends solely on bf% or endurance.

/rant
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym I categorise people into three groups, and usually get it right:

1. The not very fit people (usually slightly overweight or look like they sit in an office all day snacking on cookies) - going to a group exercise class e.g. Zumba

3. The ultra-fit and ultra-lean people - going for a group run. These are the fittest-looking ones there!

I think the key is to eat clean and vary your workouts :) But I am pretty sure running will help you lose weight if you approach it the right way!

Fit is apt for a particular task. An olympic gold medalist shot putter is not probably what you'd call "fit looking" but his training has taken him to the peak of his sport. He is the fittest for that task. He needs a certain bodyweight to counteract the weight of the shot. But he also needs to trade this off against the speed required for acceleration. It is getting this trade off right and balancing this with the demands of training and peaking for events that makes him the fittest of all the competitors on his given day.

A sprinter will need a different kind of fit. Likewise a Heavyweight Judoka. Likewise a flyweight boxer. Likewise a Decathlete.

/rant

Someone had to say it, and you saved me the typing. Preach it brutha.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

/rant

Someone had to say it, and you saved me the typing. Preach it brutha.

Testify!