Is Phentermine prescribed on the NHS?

Options
So I had a chat with my dr this morning and she mentioned one weight loss pill (sorry can't remember the name olix?) but that basically you get diarrhea with it - lovely.

I wanted to try using phen, see how I reacted to it and if it agreed with me only then would I continue to use it.

However I kind of got the impression you couldn't get it on the nhs.

Replies

• p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I know the pill you mean.

It is so bad, that I'm not going to give you the name of it for I fear you would go out and use it.

The company tells you that it stops fat in foods being absorbed into your body. They don't tell you that fats are essential for your wellbeing, and without it, can lead to long-term liver damage. It is absolutely not available on the NHS - and rightly so.

Your best option by far is to eat a moderate calorie deficit, take regular exercise and you'll soon see the benefits.

I'd also give some thought to changing your GP if they are making quackery suggestions like this.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'm also under the impression it's not available on the NHS as well, but I'm not a doctor.

The diarrhea pill does indeed work, but mainly in the way that it causes you physical harm and humiliation if you make a bad food choice. Not exactly a healthy way to learn about improved eating habits, from a physiological or psychological viewpoint.
  • wifeymou1112
    wifeymou1112 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Just eat less! No need to become an amphetamine head! It will suppress your appetite but when you stop taking it, you'll get all kinds of HUNGRYYY and eat it all back
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I think Phentermine is banned in the UK

seeing as you have set up an account, why not just try MFP for a few months?
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    So I had a chat with my dr this morning and she mentioned one weight loss pill (sorry can't remember the name olix?) but that basically you get diarrhea with it - lovely.

I wanted to try using phen, see how I reacted to it and if it agreed with me only then would I continue to use it.

However I kind of got the impression you couldn't get it on the nhs.

Is there a particular reason that you feel that you need pharmaceutical help to lose weight? What have you tried before? How much do you need to lose?

Generally, doctors in the UK will recommend calorie restriction and/or increased activity over pharmaceutical or surgical solutions unless your weight is life-threatening.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    you need to educate yourself more on weightloss, not jump in and hop on meds.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You don't need pills to lose weight. Take responsibility for your actions. MFP has all the tools you need to lose weight in a safe way.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Stops fat from being absorbed: I think I know what this one is too. Out of respect to the first reply I won't name it but it's easy to Google it.

I haven't heard great things about this RX med.
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The only reason you should ever use medication for weight loss is if you have a condition that prevents you from losing the weight per natural methods.

There are two things you are trying to change through diet and exercise. One of the two is commonly ignored.

1) Weight
    2) Lifestyle

I am assuming that you aren't trying to lose weight just to put it back on. This is why the journey is so important. Not only do you lose weight, but you also learn the tricks of the trade so to speak. You gain an understanding of your body and what it takes to lose weight and keep it off.

Value the lifestyle change as much as you do losing the weight. Millions of people depend on pills and either gain the weight back or don't lose anything at all.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Yeah you don't want that anyway....I know exactly what your talking about. My sister took it and seriously became ill, she even crapped her pants from it! Why not just try to count calories, get active and make better choices +?? There's no quick fix so pills don't work. A healthy lifestyle is a much better choice, rather then relying on pills that don't work anyway.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan of weight loss pills. I hopped on the phen-phen wagon many years ago. I was so desperate. Thank goodness I was only on it for a few months.

The thing is that they honestly don't know what the lasting side effects are. Educate yourself on a healthier way to lose weight. I wish you the best.