Can you look decent without lifting heavy?

Options
I'm not looking for a 6 pack or anything like that. I'd just like to firm up and lose my love handles. I don't have a gym membership or weights at home (other than some dumbbells) so I'm just doing some Jillian Michaels dvd's and the like. Is this going to be enough for me? I'm also not looking for a quick fix, so if it takes a while, that's fine.

Replies

• gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Hi. I did Jillian's 30 day shred as my very first workout when I started last February. Then I did Ripped in 30. Overall I was very pleased with my results. I didn't take pictures like I should have, but with the 30 DS I lost over 10", not much on the scale only about 4 lbs, but the inches just melted off. With the ripped in 30, I lost about the same, 4 lbs, but 7 inches. These programs do not replace a true strength training program because they are more cardio than strength, but they will help your overall health and appearance, in my opinion.

I think most people use 3-5 lb dumbbells to start with, and that's fine if that's what you do. But as you progress, it will really be more beneficial to add more resistance, either with a heavier weight or use a resistance band so that you can adjust as needed. I've found that you can't go truly heavy with these programs, because her pace is just too fast to do it safely and keep proper form.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can.

However, if you can incorporate some kind of resistance training into your routine it will be hugely beneficial to you over and above the way you look. Doesn't have to be weights - you can consider body weight, kettlebells, resistance bands and so on.
  • emilynw10
    Options

I've done 30DS before, but I was pretty overweight, so of course I looked better after than before. This time I'm not overweight, I just want to replace some of my fat with a little muscle. So I started 30DS again. I just wasn't sure that it was going to do what I wanted this time since my goals are different. I use 2kg dumbbells.

I was thinking about buying some resistance bands. I'm broke though... are they worth it?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

I was thinking about buying some resistance bands. I'm broke though... are they worth it?

If you're broke just look into bodyweight exercises.

Lots of free routines out there.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    heavy lifting is the most efficient way to retain lean body mass while losing fat, but it's by no means the only way. Odds are, you'll just lose a bit more muscle than you might have if your intensity was higher while you're cutting fat. The more intense the stimulus, the more muscle you will generally retain.